Wood Blewit or Bleu Foot Mushrooms

Has anyone grown (or eaten) Wood Blewit or Bleu Foot mushrooms? I’ve been perusing the Field & Forest offerings looking for possibilities that would suit my climate and interests (not too fussy to grow) but I’m quite inexperienced as far as shrooms go (as in Buttons and Morels all I’ve eaten). But those two sounded possible. Also considering Wine Caps. Any suggestions appreciated. Sue

3 Likes

I’ve collected wild blewits and they are amazing! They have a fruity, floral aroma (think orange juice and/or lilacs) and a taste that’s hard to describe, but amazing. They substitute well for white button or Portobello mushrooms as a major upgrade. The texture is nearly identical to the button mushrooms.

They’re supposed to be easy to grow. I was going to try to plant some stem butts in leaf litter this fall, but it was a lousy mushroom year and I didn’t find any.

3 Likes

i put some spawn in on the edge of my finished compost pile they colonized most of the pile. now i get blewits coming up under my plants in the fall and wine caps in the summer. blewits are better tasting than wine caps but both are good in stirfrys and such. i like to stuff the button stage of wine caps. they’re so big. from what I’ve read bleu foots are smaller but grow similar to blewits. both are definitely worth growing.

3 Likes

It was a wacky fall, I found one in late December.

1 Like

Steve, When did you put out your spawn? Sue

1 Like

Oh, weird. I guess I gave up too soon! I agree about the wacky year. I found morelles in my backyard in May, and it was looking promising in June with some nice chanterelles. I saw very little after that, edible or otherwise. I gave up in October. Even the pros around here were having a hard time.

2 Likes

2 yrs. ago. blewit spawn is slow to establish. at least a year maybe 18months. i actually thought it didn’t take then i started getting flushes.

4 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know. Did you plant in the spring? or Early summer? I was concerned about our cold and short season and how the mushrooms might do but if they do OK for you it should be OK here. To my surprise I just noticed that Field & Forest is located in my own territory! Just a little over 2 hrs away. What a surprise. I can just drive there to buy spawn. Not often does that happen. Sue

1 Like

i mixed it into the bottom edge of the pile in june then in fall of the following year it fruited and also spread into the compost pile. when i used that compost around my trees, the blewits now fruit around them as well as the wine caps. one in the summer and one in fall.

1 Like