Wooly Apple Aphid

What part are you drenching? Just the branches, trunk, and leaves, correct?

I want something just for the roots

@VSOP, is there a specific brand you would recommend?

No, it is a soil drench, a systemic insecticide.

This is the kind I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00APQYEMY/ref=pd_aw_fbt_86_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BCB1QPV3PDRXS4M5BVMP

Be aware, this product can kill pollinators. The directions tell you to do the soil drench after blooming is done for the year. I do not think this will be a problem for your young trees, though.

B9 is not resistant to WAA. I have a bunch or B9 and see some WAA around root suckers from time to time but they have not been a big problem so far. B9 does produce smaller trees than expected on most varieties. My 2 year old G11 and G41 trees are larger than many of my 5 year old B9 trees

Here is a pretty good chart on WAA on most rootstocks:

http://treefruit.wsu.edu/web-article/apple-rootstocks-2/

Blueberry - the information in your link is contradicted by the links I am posting below for MM106 -

http://jenny.tfrec.wsu.edu/opm/displayspecies.php?pn=410

I have always read that MM106 is Wooly Aphid resistant - I hope your link is wrong as I have 1/2 a dozen trees on MM106. And your link does not mention MM111 which is a popular rootstock.

I hate to think I am wasting time and money on the MM106 trees. I am paranoid, I will fret if they donā€™t grow over the Wooly Aphid bogeyman.

Spud,
@blueberrythrillā€™s chart is from Washington U.

This chart is from Cornell U. Looks like your 106 rootstock is highly resistant to Woolly Aphids, if I read it correctly.

Disclaimer - I donā€™t know how old this chart is, though.

http://www.ctl.cornell.edu/plants/GENEVA-Apple-Rootstocks-Comparison-Chart.pdf.

Looks like the experts disagree! I expect one is wrong, but its interesting that both your link and my link are from Washington State University.

I did notice that the link I sent was for M106EMLA and what you sent was for Malling-Merton (MM).

M106EMLA (my link) is a virus free clone of the MM106 (your link) which I would expect to be identical to the MM version except for virus but they are technically different rootstocks. Iā€™m not sure it that would account for the disagreement between different experts from WSU.

just came in from outside and upon checking my medlars (I know, who eats those thingsā€¦but I really like weird things) I noticed the main stems are about 1/3rd covered with wolly aphids. I know colder temps will likely put a hurting on living insects at that time, but should I try to do something to deal with them now? Iā€™d prefer to not go crazy with insecticide as my medlars will likely be ready within a week or two.

I took a picture, if anyone is interestedā€¦

Scott

I regularly see WAA on apple trees I manage all over my region, but theyā€™ve never become a problem here in the S. NY-Ct region. I doubt here or where you are that they tend to do much damage to trees on vigorous root stocks. In 25 years here I havenā€™t had a problem with the thousands of trees Iā€™ve managed.

I canā€™t be bothered obsessing on every pest that shows up in orchards so I wait until they become problematic.

2 Likes

This is my magness pear on OHxF87 I grafted 3 years ago. It has always had the bumps on the leaves since I grafted it.

As soon as the leaflets open up it has them. Would this be more of a mineral deficiency? I have had aphids on trees before so iā€™m familiar with signs and ants. This seems different.

Pear blister mites. Lime sulfur spray is very effective. Some people use sulfur spray.

4 Likes

How large did your G. 11 get? Thanks

1 Like

Iā€™ve never heard of lime-sulfur for this- the usual treatment prescribed in the east is 2% hort oil just before first growth. However, upon looking it up, I discover that UC Davis recommends sulfur as well as oil for control. I think Iā€™d rather stick to oil- sulfur is nasty stuff. However, it does provide a later treatment option. Learn something newā€¦

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r603400511.html

2 Likes

Sulfur is very effective against all forms of eriophyid mites

2 Likes

We are talikng about pear blister mites, not wooly aphids, right?

I used to spray with just sulfur. Not working. Lime sulfur has worked well for me. I think I got the advice to use lime sulfur from @scottfsmith. I am surprised youā€™ve never heard of it being used for pear blister mites. It has been mentioned several times on posts about pears.

2 Likes

I may miss more posts than you do. I donā€™t really worry about PBM- pears have much bigger problems than that- mainly psyla.

1 Like

PBM makes leaves look ugly. Agree that pear psylla is a serious issue and harder to deal with.

1 Like

@thepodpiper
Have you gotten rid of your troubled trees?

One of my B9 apple trees has had this issue on and off for 3-4 years now. It is back again this year.

2 Likes

@mamuang

Do you squish them or spray? Supposedly a simple mix of water and dish soap can kill them although Iā€™ve never tried it.

1 Like