Wooly Apple Aphid

I did not get rid of any trees because of them but I did soil drench when I first grafted and it seemed to work. I c very little of that now and just spray them with hose.

3 Likes

What chemical you drenched your soil with?

1 Like

If I did not squish or do anything to those aphids, they seemed to spread.

1 Like

And have you ever seen an apple tree killed by WAA? Based on your comment it would seem youā€™ve seen much more serious damage from this pest than Iā€™ve seen up here in NY and CT. I work on hundreds of over century old apple trees (and more that are much younger) and theyā€™ve usually got some, but above the ground. Not a problem at all in my experience in this region- from the tall hills to the ocean shore. But I donā€™t manage trees with a commercial type spray program, so maybe Iā€™m allowing predators to do their job.
Getting Wild and Wooly: Woolly Apple Aphid Management: July 20th, 2019 Ā» The Jentsch Lab.

1 Like

Problem is it reduces yields and weakens the tree making it susceptible to other issues like FB especially if it hits early in the growing season. Plus, we do have mucho warmer weather here in the Shenandoah Valley. In the beginning my wife would just paint the outbreaks with vinegar, but after many years and much bigger and more numerous trees that became impossible. The authoritative (and invaluable) Tree Fruit Field Guide (Oct 2006 Ed.) says let the predators and resistant root stocks do your work for you (page 44). I agree with the root stock comment, but unfortunately, I sometimes kill off the predators by fighting other things, like BMSBs, which are a much greater reality.

2 Likes

@mamuang , this is what I used but I only use it on younger not bearing trees because Iā€™m not sure the effects on fruit uptake?

4 Likes

I have wooly apple aphids on my own trees and most trees I manage and they have never noticeably affected any trees here at all in the last 30 years or so. Are you all sure you arenā€™t over-reacting?

Leafhoppers on the other hand slow down the establishment of E. plums and apple trees in my nursery a great deal, however. They destroy new growth and youngest leaves and started doing so 2-3 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Examine your trees regularlyā€¦ This one was behind some others and I didnā€™t notice the infestation until now. Yikes.

3 Likes

Yikes is right!!!

2 Likes