Worthless peaches

From the pics in that thread, there is more yellow in the flesh than mine. The one I showed wasn’t fully ripe, so I expect the entire flesh to be quite red.

Also, per the linked thread, Beauty is clingstone. The pit on mine came out pretty easily (though it was in 2 pieces).

Based on the above comment, I hope that mine isn’t Beauty :slight_smile:

1 Like

How is your Snack Time doing this year @BobVance?

Yeah, Rich May- it’s such a bad name I can’t remember it- sounds like it was named after an heiress. Dawn Delight would have sold more trees- May Surprise or even Early Pleasure.

Silver Gem is late this year and my main tree is in decline for some reason and has led to smaller and probably inferior fruit. Fortunately, it is also grafted on other vigorous trees (one of them about 25 years old) and the fruit looks better. My orchard is way too big for practical purposes, but sometimes it comes in handy. My Jade crop is ridiculous. I had to install 3 crutches yesterday- the fruit is huge.

If you don’t mind eating fungicide (the gov says it’s safe), Indar should stop cracked fruit from rotting- I’ve gotten crops of cracked cherries that way. The cherry crop this year was blessed by a lack of rain at crucial ripening time and was the best in years. Unfortunately, I didn’t get nets up at too many of my customer’s orchards- too busy that week.

The problem with cracked grenades is they are likely to be destroyed by yellow jackets before they are worth harvesting. That variety has only performed for me once in the last 8. I’m hoping Dapple Dandy will function better. Flavor King, Supreme and Queen don’t crack as much but seem to be extremely shy croppers here. Spring Satin gave me a few treasured fruit this season and are absolutely beautiful although flavor would have benefitted from a couple more brix points. Hopefully my tree won’t always bear such light crops. It is growing against my Airstream trailer, so benefits from a lot of reflected light.

3 Likes

I believe the Rich May name may have been trademarked. Mine were sold as Flavorich which the nursery told me was the same as RichMay

Excellent peaches and the first peach to get ripe. They look like yours but they bloomed early and were often impacted by the freeze so we removed most of them. Not many problems here other than unreliable production

2 Likes

Ugh- That’s too bad, as I’ve had them from stores and thought they were great. It occurred to me to use one of those mesh nets, but that would probably make it difficult to maintain fungicide coverage. I guess I should try setting up some YJ traps.

I’ll be interested to hear when you start to pick it- this is the first year I’ve gotten any and I’m looking forward to trying it.

Describing Flavor Supreme as an extremely shy cropper is charitable. I’d almost consider it an ornamental :frowning: I planted FS in 2013 and got rid of it last year. It would flower, but I don’t remember it ever setting fruit. It was a big tree (and some work to remove), so it probably had one or two fruits over the years without me noticing (which the animals would take care of harvesting). This is with half a dozen different pluot/plum varieties within 30 feet (some multi-grafts) and probably a dozen or more within 100’.

Geo Pride doesn’t have a super heavy set, but it seems moderate- similar to Flavor Grenade. Both were planted in 2015 and have fed the animals in the past. We’ll see if I’m up to protecting them this year.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure what i have hanging on a tree is Geo Pride. They are just starting to turn color here. Last year i wrapped them in frost cloth to protect them and that worked really well.

1 Like

I ate a late ripening PF Big a few moments ago and it is a very nice early peach. Has deep orange flesh with lots of red streaks or layers in it like Flavor May. Must be loaded with carotene.

It looks like peaches coming in now will be OK so I only lost a week of harvest that will continue past Sept.

2 Likes

I have a couple of semi dwarf frost peach trees in Seattle Washington and have questions about how to control the Sucker branches coming from the graft joint .
These trees came from a reputable nursery here and I’m not blasting them just looking for a solution to this situation . The trees are 10 years old now and every year the suckers become more prolific and are obviously causing the Peach part of the tree to underperform ,
I don’t know what the rootstock is , it doesn’t even flower but there are runners coming up in the lawn 20 feet away the leaves and branches look like some type of plum . Any body know what to do or do I just cut them down and tear out the stumps?
I really love the peaches they are ripe just in time for my birthday , last week of July.
These trees were sunburnt a couple weeks ago but have come back even better with just a little top watering and maybe 3 quarts a day right at the stump.

I had one which sat on the counter for 3-4 days (picked at the same time as the damaged one). It was 9 brix and almost eye-wateringly sour. After the time on the counter though, it had good texture (some moisture and an interesting crispness). It was still better to eat than the 7-8 brix peaches, though I admit to liking the 14 brix grocery store nectarine better.

We’ve got some sunny weather for the next few days- hopefully they can sweeten up a bit. If I could get them to 15 brix, with good acid kick, they could be pretty good. What brix do you ussually get from Silver Gem?

Can them and sweeten them during canning. That might recover the flavor some what. If they stay on the trees for a few days without rain they might sweeten up.

2 Likes

Bob,
Have you figured out what not-Spring Satin plum actually is? Have you told the guy who sent it to you?

The early ripening Silver Gems are still crap but I ate a- what is that early ripening west coast peach you mentioned earlier? Anyway I bought a tree from a west coast DW distributor and its fruit is now quite good once it is soft enough to pick. I at the first one with some softness yesterday and another today. I have also had a few good PF Bigs. The forecast suggests growing sweetness!

1 Like

Picked first Redhaven 7/20 to test them. They had some juice but where very bland. Picked rest from 8/1 to 8/7. A few ripening on the counter had a mild peach test that I would rate almost mediocre. By 8/7 not only where they tasteless but also dry.

How about large and beautiful Rising Star with brix at 8.

@alan I agree. I’d rather have no fruit (so no expectation and no spray wasted) than having fruit with really awful taste. Took one bite and threw away the rest. In fact, I used the rest to bait a ground hog. Even a groundhog was not interested!

2 Likes

We’ve established that many peaches growing in humid wet areas are very bland this year. Were any of them good? Are there good ones ripening now or soon?

Shortly after I started this topic my fruit turned around and I’m getting highest brix readings since I began taking them 4 or 5 years ago (I think). Part of this is because I’m taking fruit from a new site on my property that gets better sun and has more porous soil, but that is only a small part of the story. It’s mostly that we are now getting normal sun and slightly subnormal precip.

Hopefully things will start to turn around for you and Mam very soon. It only required 2 weeks of more normal weather to begin the turn around here.

1 Like

Looks like ‘thumb’ pressure from testing to see if its ripe! A few of mine had that familiar circle. It was me!

1 Like

The rain part of the story has subsided. We haven’t gotten much rain in the last two weeks and now the Redhaven peaches have a dry texture. The sun part of the equation may be the problem now. We’ve only gotten a few days of full sun in the past two weeks. I did pick my first Harko nectarine today and although not sweet it was tasty and edible.

Alan,
Here is the screen shot of the weather in my area from today and the next 10 days. We have not had 3 straight days of full sun, never mind “normal waether” for two weeks!!!

Isolated TS usually means mostly sun and those amounts suggest it. Not that different than mine. I’m sun and clouds today, not straight clouds.

Unfortunately I just harvested a nectarine from a Summer Beaut that is positively loaded with beautiful fruit and it only came up to about 10.5 which is not edible while I have better fruit. I won’t give them away to clients but to a food bank instead.

The tree is in a part of my property that loses some morning sun to shade, but it’s not bad and gets lit up by about 10 I think. The fruit did tend to set in the underside of the canopy for some reason, which is never helpful. I use to love this nect, but that was only because of ignorance about superior varieties for flavor. The only better one I used to have here is a cracker.

I’ve learned that it almost all comes down to brix for me. I had a high brix childhood having been raised in S. CA :wink:.