Would I be crazy to rip out my apple trees and plant more pears?

I love my pear trees. I prune them some, and they give me fruit. Apples are a pest nightmare…curculio, ofm, etc etc etc. I might get one or two apples, despite their being disease resistant types.

Despite my best intentions to spray and stuff, I never do. Seems like it would be a better use of my limited space to plant some more pear trees, instead.

What does the peanut gallery think? I know what Clark’s answer will be!

14 Likes

Apples grown in my environment do not have the dizzying array of pests you experience. Over the years I’ve enjoyed trials of a number of varieties. The count of them has dropped over the years and I keep trying to increase the pears. Fireblight is a huge problem here for them and not for the apples. Several classes of pears also have a definite need for chill hours which is not going to happen here. So I recommend that you grow more pears and be glad that you can!

6 Likes

If you do nothing but fight and loose, then i would change it up. if you don’t have Asian pears, maybe there is your compromise, get the crunch of an apple. I seem to be in the opposite side of things, my pears keep getting diseases and won’t produce, where my apples produce every year (still quite young, nothing is even 5 years in the ground yet). My Asian pears are the exception here.
But i gave up on cherries due to never being able to get fruit on them. So i would say, if you keep losing, go ahead and try something else.

6 Likes

Yes, add more pear trees and replace the apple trees with a few jujube trees then you are set.

8 Likes

I like pears more than apples, and hence my answer is a definite yes. The main reason I grow apples is because they store well through the winter when there is no other home grown fruit available. Pick varieties that store well.

8 Likes

You do what works for you. Last year a friend of mine with an old orchard needed to clear a better path to the lower side, so out came about 15 fully grown haskap bushes that he just gave away. For the rest of us that may not even have half of that it may sound horrible but trust me, there are plenty where those came from. He also cleared a few apple trees in order to accommodate some plums.

7 Likes

No. You’d be quite sane. Go with what works. And if it tastes good—and I’ll admit to liking pears (both Euro and Asian) much more than apples----so much the better! I’ve planted more (disease-resistant) pears than any other fruit tree. I’d be on easy street if Kentucky springs weren’t such blossom killers. Pretty good pear year this year, though.

If you’ve not got one yet, be sure to put out an Ayers pear. That’s one fine—and very disease-resistant—sugar pear. Ayers is my second most anticipated fruit this year—just after watermelons!

10 Likes

I’m the opposite. I ripped out 3 3yo pears this year due to them being fireblight magnets even though I spray streptomycin. 2 asian and surprisingly a Moonglow. I replaced with a couple peaches I started from store bought peaches. If they don’t produce anything edible, I’ll just put something else in their place as well.

1 Like

They will produce excellent tasting peaches. All my peach trees are from seed.

3 Likes

Im in apple country, so definitely plant pears. I only have 3 apples 2 pixie c, and 1 sundance. Asian pears are awesome too.

2 Likes

We get a good amount of apples in our neighborhood and they do well here. That being said I have ripped out my fair share of plants because they were not thriving or I did not care for it.

1 Like

I’m going down a similar path. For me I’m removing stone fruit to put in pears. On the east coast it’s just to much effort to have a lot of them. The remaining stone fruit trees are being converted to franken trees. Putting in a lot of work and money for a percentage of the crop just is not worth it

On the apples though. I’ve notice some are easier than others.

1 Like

My thinking is this, will those pests attack your pears once their favorite targets were gone? I planted apples and pears together. I’ve noticed that plum curculio, coddling moths, oriental fruit moths, etc. prefer apples to pears. However, I have seen damages from them in pears, too.

While I like Euro pears a lot, I still am struggling with when to pick them, which varieties need to be refrigerated and for how long, etc. after several years, I still have not gotten the picking and refrigerating quite right.

Asian pears are straight forward. Fruit ripened, eat them. They last quite a few months in a fridge. But not everyone likes Asian pears.

7 Likes

How do you like your Sundance taste?

Don’t know yet! I got it as an error and bought the 2 PC as pollinators. All I need now is a Goldrush:)

Who in their right mind doesn’t like Asian Pears?!

4 Likes

Right!? Gotta grow your own. The mush bags in the store are rarely mediocre. Man… I miss my hosui, chojuro KG, and Yoinashi. However, in addition to those Asians, I got seuri, shinsui, daisuili, shinli, kosui mishirasu, raja, Ooharabeni, and a couple others

1 Like

You surely have not been on this forum often enough :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

Some of our forum members have said that Asian pears do not float their boat :confounded:.

If you want an opinion on Asian pears for PA, @PharmerDrewee may have the largest collection of them and can give good advice.

2 Likes

Moonglow is NOT fire blight resistant for me. In fact, it might be a FB magnet.

I have a couple asian Pear grafts that do well for me. Maybe I should add more. Sometimes they get hit with cedar quince rust and the fruit are ruined. Oh well.