Would This Work As A Green House?

yes.

Iā€™m noticing about a 100 pound weight difference between yours and the one I highlighted. Guess that accounts for the $200 increase in price. Now Iā€™m wondering if the cheap frame would survive. You can always recover with plastic.

its only gone up $50 since i bought mine. the frame is pretty rugged. id go with the delta one. probably sturdier and more long lived that the cheaper one.

2 Likes

I added hoops, 3 ft on center and will do so on theses ones even 10ft wide x 12ft long.

The 36 X 96 house was OLD fashioned. Schedule 40 1 1/8" pipe, galvo. We had a bad winter, every hoop was propped with 2 x 4 top to pad. The first two snow storms it didnā€™t budge. The third storm was thick ice on top of the snow loadā€¦down she comes.

The 8mm plastic is strong, got 5+ years out of it. Used a pressure treated 2 x 4 side rail to length about thigh high screwed to the hoops. The bottom panel was portable so in summer, it dropped down and the house became well ventilated. Easy to do, wrap the bottom panel plastic onto conduit that straps to side rails. Also ran a 50 percent shade cloth on the outside of the 8mm clear. Took the shade cloth down in winter.

I donā€™t know what wiggle wire is, but agree, the front/back are problematic. We framed in with 6" X 5/4" pt decking boards fastened with self tapping screws and then cut the radius with a skill saw. Worked well, just a pain.

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty good stuff for DIY greenhouses in my opinion, easy to drill into and attach to greenhouse framing, a wood base ā€œfooterā€, EMT conduit etc. with self tapping screws. It does bite into thinner poly films a smidgen but you can double it up at the ends going into the channel to prevent that being an issue at all. The wiggle wire channel in particular made replacing the skin a lot easier task for me and my wife to do - if you make it sort of ā€œmodularā€ and add the channel on each face of the greenhouse, it makes it to where you can just replace the section of worn out poly on whatever side of the greenhouse needs it. Iā€™ve been able to get some pretty good deals by buying factory poly seconds and cutting them to size to replace whatever side of my greenhouse needed it (but this does use up a lot more wiggle wire channel setting it up this way than just doing a rectangle of wiggle wire channel around the base of the greenhouse bottom). Iā€™ve also used a poly bubble-wrap kind of clear solar pool cover in the winter as a skin with the wiggle wire channel and it worked a bit better to insulate than the IR poly film did but it blocked a good bit more light.

Forgot to mention there are tons of brands of it and the generic stuff is just as good - itā€™s aluminum wiggle wire channel. Iā€™m pretty sure you could just take some good pliers and some heavy wire and not need to buy any actual ā€œwiggleā€ wires or whatever they are called, if theyā€™re not provided with the aluminum channel.

Thank You BC!

1 Like