Wowza! Dwarf Cherry, any info?

I would like to know how Juliet stacks up against Wowza. The Juliets grown up here are the biggest cherries of the Romance series. Wowza would have to be pretty good to top Juliet.

Les Kerr was a neighbour, he would come out to my MIL and a few other farms and just plant random fruits he was working on. These included apples, grapes and plums. His property was too small so he would prune and trim other folks fruit trees for fun. Some of the abandoned farmyards still have his apple trees growing.

10 Likes

The Juliets are bigger than cupid?

1 Like

At the commercial u pick they were the largest last year.

ETA I guess that could be a result of spring frosts, water etc.

3 Likes

I let my Juliet cherries hang until they were almost black last year and they still tasted sour. They were very good, and my kids and I ate a lot of them fresh, but they are not like Bing cherries.

1 Like

Years very with their sweetness too. Some years they say Juliet is sweeter than CP. What was your favorite of the groups? Yes, reading on Cupid it says some years it’s the largest of the sour cherries. Meaning other cherries can be lager in other years.

1 Like

I ordered 10 Juliet this year because ive heard repeatedly the same thing that Juliet is the best of the bunch but carmine jewell like i grow now is a close second to juliet. Its one thing people talk about a better cherry than carmine jewell but from years of experience i can say carmine jewell is incredible! I started growing it when it was first available in the United States Carmine Jewell Cherry Yields increasing with age. Lots of people who grow both say Juliet is bigger, more productive and faster to produce. Many others theorize Juliet may be slightly less nutritious due to the lighter fruit color. Juliet i believe will at least compliment carmine jewell by extending the cherry season which i feel is the real benefit.

5 Likes

For sure the benefit is in differing ripening times. Carmine Jewel is a wonderful cherry, my sister prefers it to Juliet. My opinion, I guess, is related to my cherry pitter, the Carmine Jewel were a little small for it. Frankly I don’t think a person can go wrong with any of these cherries.
In your zones your cherries probably do better than mine. Although I am just a little north of the U of S we are a half zone lower, so some of the Romance series do not perform as well as others depending on the winters.

3 Likes

From what I read on the description of Romeo is that it’s just like Carmine Jewel but ripens later.

2 Likes

What’s the cherry pitter you use?

Just planting Bush cherries the last two seasons(Romeo and Crimson Jewel). Planting Juliets this year for sure and considering Wow za(looks good but pricey) but also Crimson Passion. Any comments on Crimson Passion?

I think you meant Carmine Jewel, when you said Crimson Jewel in your first sentence.

As for Crimson Passion, the biggest complaint I’ve heard is it is a very shy bearer.

@galinas has a CP bush that has not set fruit after several years.

1 Like

If you are in a cold climate, dont expect CP to produce anything for you. Ive had mine since I planted my CJ’s and it rarely flowers and never fruits… It might do better farther south, but in ND its a dud!

1 Like

In October I yanked the two I’ve had in ground since '14. They were sickly from the gate and I babied them along for long enough. Never a single fruit. I began to worry that whatever issues they have would maybe begin to impact the CJ’s and Juliet. Nothing about these duds make it worth the risk to me.

Got an email from Bernis (HBUSA) earlier this month and she said they’re seriously reconsidering CP, that they just don’t seem worth it for most people when Juliet is so close in sweetness.

I’ve not read this whole thread, just stopped by to check in - but I think Wowza will have to go some to best Juliet size-wise anyway. I think I posted this picture before, but the top are ER, left are CJ, and right are Juliet. My first thought when popping one in my mouth was that it felt like putting a ping-pong ball in my mouth. I didn’t have a full blown crop though, so maybe this year both will set a goodly amount and we’ll be able to know more then. The flavor was outstanding to me.

10 Likes

Corrected, yes Carmine Jewel. Thank you for the info on CP, just so many new cultivars of everything coming out that it is hard to sort the hype from the reality. Juliets this year for sure and wait to see how Wow za pans out with those that try it. Brand new to site and I have a look of back reading to do. Our mixed orchard is only three seasons old(with new things each year) but it was tremendous to eat fresh own grown MN peaches(Contender) this summer.

5 Likes

Drake,
You are at the right place.

Using our search engine (a magnifying glass symbol on the top right corner) can be very helpful. Type in any fruit related question or issue, you will have ton to read.

1 Like

It is a VillaWare Cherry Stoner

8 Likes

CP didn’t even bloom at all, no single flower! Planted together with Carmine Jewel, that gave already two good size crops.

Gurney’s emailed me saying they shipped my two Wowza’s and one Juliet. They arrive Wednesday. I still have four inches of snow, but we are getting rain tonight and 50 deg weather Sunday. Then it’s cold till Thursday with 60 deg forecasted. I might have to try and pot the Juliet. The problem might be finding soil that’s not frozen.

Can you just leave them in cool place if they haven’t leaf out yet. Just keep the root moist for a week or so.

2 Likes

if they need pruning when they arrive I’d love to take some wood if your hands. I’ve got a bunch of 1 yr CJ seedlings that have been begging me to graft something onto them! :wink:

1 Like