Wowza! Dwarf Cherry, any info?

2023 will be the fourth year for my Wowza, so I am hoping for cherries on it. Last summer we got about 20 gallons from my other CJs, Romeos, and Juliet’s. My original CJs planted in mostly sand at our home back around 2009 never have had a harvestable cherry. The harvest I got was from an orchard I started 13 miles from home in former cow pasture in 2015 or so. As they say, location, location, location! The CJs make fabulous pies, etc. I can eat an occasional Juliet fresh, but they certainly aren’t like sweet cherries! And yes, they do sucker, so you only need to buy one of any variety, unless you want lots right away. I need to spray with fungicide and Spinosad, plus net for birds a d fence for deer. Any suckers outside of the fence get chewed to the ground over winter, but resprout again in spring to try again.

7 Likes

Good luck, hopefully you get to try those wowza cherries this upcoming season!

2 Likes

@northwoodswis4

Yes these Canadian cherries are heavy feeders so cow manure is what they need and lots of it. On top of that plenty of woodchips is great. Congratulations and many wishes for your continued success!

1 Like

this will be my 3rd year for wowza, hoping for a sample

1 Like

Third season for me, considering the size I doubt there will be any fruit this year. Maybe in the fourth season (third full year) from when I originally received it.

2 Likes

A rabbit killed my last wowza. It was not winter time but the rabbit didn’t care.

3 Likes

I got lots of damage on my Wowza as well, (also on my Carmine Jewel) and I’m not sure who caused it. These critters always find a way to complicate things.

2 Likes

i was hoping for some flowers this year, but no… they appear happy and healthy otherwise.

7 Likes

I have a wowza( I think) that I transplanted a couple of years ago, it is about four feet tall now. Last year the chickens did a lot of scratching under it and exposed lots of roots near the soils surface. The exposed roots have made an explosion of suckers, just an fyi if you are trying to dig suckers and make new plants

6 Likes

Any suggestions on recommended spacing for wowza cherry bushes

if they are anything like the other cherries, and you want them to remain individual bushes instead of a hedge, Id say at least 10ft. Personally Id do 12 to 14 I think.

2 Likes

Wowza, I was thinking more like five or six feet

1 Like

Here Wowza flowers about 2 weeks after the other Romance cherries. The size of the fruit is decent but I only had a handful last year. I have a coupe hundred this year. Juliet seems to have a lot less than last year. We have had a lot of unusual weather. Sorry I have not been around and i won’t be for this summer either. I just happen to be home. All health related issues have been resolved for me at last. At this point my health is excellent. Nice to feel normal again. Well sort of, as I’m still recovering from Partial knee replacement surgery in both legs. It went extremely well and I healed quickly. I can walk so much better now. It was getting to the point I could not walk at all, so nice to have my knees back! Sorry if I never responded to you. I have 16 PM’s unanswered at the moment, and I have to go, my apologies. I doubt I will ever get to them, sorry.

6 Likes

My wowza produces an abundance of suckers and I was thinking of grafting Montmorency cherry on some suckers, has anyone experimented with compatibility?

3 Likes

I was able to graft carmine jewel to mont, so Id say you have a good chance to make it work…

My wowza is about seven feet tall now with three suckers. I have about 75 cherries on it with guessing.

Where’s here?

It might be helpful to add your state or province to your member profile. Where something is being grown is quite a pertinent piece of info for others to gauge if something may be suitable for their locale, (zone climates can very widely).