Ya Li aka yali pear

Huh. IDK why anyone wouldn’t like YaLi; it’s a dandy little pear!
Chojuro is, hands-down, my favorite Asian pear, but YaLi is definitely in my top 5, year-in/year-out… some years, it rates #2!

4 Likes

We ate all the ya li today and although they tasted more like an apple that pear we loved them! 4 family members came over. I saved one to take a picture. Frequently I don’t pick all the experimental fruit because I make no real effort to do so. Focus on the main crop and happen to notice others as I’m picking.

7 Likes

Clerk, have you tried Paili, it has similar texture to Yali but a little sweeter

2 Likes

Yes I like pai li it’s very good and excessively productive.

1 Like

Is it true Pai Li ripens like a soft euro?

2 Likes

I just had a Paili that has been on my counter top for awhile. The texture does soften up, not crunchy anymore

2 Likes

@IL847 @Robert

We ate pa li crisp we didn’t let ours soften. Glad you could answer that. They are certainly productive very quickly. Ya li takes a little more time to produce but like most Asian pears production is soon unlike European pears. That’s not true of drippin honey it takes more time in my experience than any other Asian to produce.

1 Like

Paili should be eaten in crispy. But I have hard time to determine the right time to harvest it in my area

2 Likes

@IL847

The pa li were good crisp but not fantastic though I like them. My generalizations are not always accurate. European pears such as Harrow sweet or Harrow delight are fast to produce.

1 Like

Ya Guang Li could be eaten soft like Pai Li. That’s typically how it’s eaten in China. However even in China it’s not planted that many nowadays.

To answer justpeachy’s question, Tse Li and Tsu Li should be the same, it’s one kind of 酥梨 from Shandong area. Don’t know if it’s the once famous 莱阳梨.

The best Tsu Li cultivar should be from Dang Shan in Anhui province (砀山酥梨). This YouTube video is in Chinese about Dangshan Tsu Li. Many pear trees are several hundred years old.

5 Likes

I don’t have YaGuang li, but I have Paili and Yali. By the way The "Li " means pear in Chinese.
The Paili in China is also called Jing Pai li (means white pear in Beijing area). It used to be a quite popular/common pear variety in market there. I suspect that YaGuang Li is a type of , or hybrid of Yali.

5 Likes

I do have the once famous 莱阳梨. It is a large rough skinned pear with good taste. But there many newly breed varieties that have better taste and texture. The good thing about the LaiYang li is long storage. However, it is not hardy enough in zone5 to reliablely bear fruits

3 Likes

Correction: further research indicates Tsu Li is indeed the once famous 莱阳梨 from Laiyang region of Shandong province (Lai Yang Chi Li). But I am not sure if Tsu Li is one kind of Su Li (酥梨).

I have Shin Li but it’s still young. The Shin Li I bought in Asian grocery store didn’t impress me much. Theoretically Shin Li should taste better/sweeter than Tsu Li.

3 Likes

Do you grow Shui Mi Taos? I have to ask because of your handle.

1 Like

No I don’t. Brown rot may be too much for that thin skin juicy peach. I grown black boy and some donut peaches.

1 Like

Those sound good. I’ve never heard of Black Boy. I’ll have to look that up. I do grow Shui Mi Taos here - 3 years fruiting now. No rot yet - gorgeous and aromatic. I’m a whole zone lower than you and perhaps drier?

1 Like

Where does one buy Tsu Li?

2 Likes

I am quite surprised you can grow shuimitao successfully in cold Maine. It grows mostly around zone 8-9 area in its native land.

Blackboy is a unique Indian peach and I like it very much. BTW, Tsu Li is Tse Li aka Laiyang Li. I don’t grow it but have ordered a cut from Criket Hill this year. https://www.treepeony.com/

3 Likes

I purchased Tlor Tsiran from 2 nurseries, including CH. My trees from there didn’t do well but they did from the other nursery, although I do like some of CH’s peony trees.

As far as SMT, I am in an unusual z6a. It seems to act like a microclimate here and I’m actually growing several things that people told me I couldn’t. I apologize for taking this thread off track. But thank you for the information.

2 Likes

I have KG, drippin Honey ,20th century. I’d like to have Yali and Laiyangli scion woods. If anyone interest, PM me or I could pay the cost for shipping

2 Likes