Ya Li aka yali pear

Dwarfed a Harbin and callery severely with yali. This Harbin is 6 or 7 feet tall. Yali is a very different pear and it’s very useful to me. Growing several of these trees the callery is about 9 -10 feet tall. My belief is the tendency towards heavy fruiting of this variety will runt a tree if your not careful. It seems to want to be all fruit like many Asian pears.

4 Likes

I have been looking for Ya Li. Is it worth the effort? Is it softer than other asians like some say?

3 Likes

@Robert

It’s crisp and snappy but different from other Asian pears. It’s flavor is very unique unlike any other.

2 Likes

Agree. It’s different.
But probably my #2 fave, behind Chojuro.
Also, one of the later ripening Asians, here.

3 Likes

My Yali from Cricket Hill is finally showing growth, I wasn’t sure it’s dead or not.

2 Likes

My Ya Li grafted was killed by fire blight. One of very few Asian pears I grafted that was killed by fire blight. Shinseiki (one of the two grafts) was dead that way, too.

2 Likes

Ya li is heavy with fruit.

3 Likes

Want to mention again if you want perfect foliage ya li may not be for you. It seems ya li finds every leaf disease possible. In the photos you can see its still spring and already the leaves look a little rough.

2 Likes

August 27th they are still not ripe

2 Likes

Any idea when they ripen? Hows the taste compare to other asians?

2 Likes

@Robert

On a normal year October 21st. This year who knows?

1 Like

This one ripened early today on September 10th
It reminded me of the flavor of juicy fruit gum “very fruity but not described easily”

5 Likes

Today is September 25th they are still ripening up. Very pleasant to eat.

7 Likes

Anyone else like this variety? @tonyOmahaz5 and i both really enjoy it!

4 Likes

I’ve tried to get scions of it for years now, but hardly anyone has it. I like the way it looks. How different is the taste from the average asian pear?

3 Likes

I got some perfect ‘Ya Li’ from Henhouse grocery store in KC a long time ago. The fragrance and texture was fantastic, never forgotten.

3 Likes

@Robert

It is night and day different from most asian pears.

2 Likes

I have Ya Li… it’s my #2 fave behind Chojuro. it is the latest ripening Asian I grow, except Shinko.
Need to graft more, but I don’t think I cut any scionwood of it this winter

3 Likes

I like Yali pear, in fact I like it much better than Korean Giant.
I hope it doesn’t get fireblight though.

3 Likes

@SoCalGardenNut

It has not had fireblight here.

3 Likes