(Yellow) Bellflower Apples

My 20 bushels turned into 15 gallons of juice. I didn’t count the windfalls, which all went into sauce.

3 Likes

Of the 3 trees I originally grafted I now have 1. I believe the bark splitting I reported was due to late season growth that wasn’t hardened off before winter. The final tree I have is not at all vigorous even on B.118. It seems to me this is a Z5 apple as suggested in what I’ve read. I’ll probably graft 2 additional trees to see how they do, but I don’t hold out much hope this tree will be productive in Z4a.

1 Like

None of mine have ever maxed out on size. Even the big, ancient original one on seedling stock was happy to go bigger forever. All of my grafts (mm111, mm106, g890, g41) have grown really prolifically.

I can’t comment on cold hardiness, I just get explosive growth on everything in z9.

1 Like

We included a Yellow Bellflower as part of our Fedco order back in 2009, so it is on Antonovka rootstock. Three years later deer got into our orchard and feasted on a few trees in particular, including the YB. It survived, but barely. The tree seems to be permanently dwarfed. It is no taller than 6 feet with no special pruning beyond what the deer did. It took several more years before it bore fruit, and it has rarely produced more than a handful of apples in any year. This year, for the first time ever, it is full of blossoms. Here’s hoping.

4 Likes

Maybe try and “dung it” (give it some manure to boost the vigor)?

We have plenty of aged chicken manure

1 Like

That ought to do the trick to stimulate it.
A couple shovels-full
shouldn’t hurt an older tree if scattered under the branches.

Actually I lost one, and the other I thought might flower this year but it didn’t. Not a tip bearer I suppose.