Your BIG project this year 2022

Quebec, Canada.

1 Like

Hey, I’m out almost in Kernersville! Nice to see you here :slight_smile:

any of the oysters will grow well on sawdust . wine caps and elm oysters will grow in hardwood sawdust on the ground even around your plants and continue to grow as long as they’re fed fresh hardwood sawdust every spring. fall blewits grow great seeded near a compost pile. i also got some coming up around the edge of my chicken run under my red pines.

1 Like

im 20min. from Quebec border and right across the St. John river from Edmunston, N.B. all my relatives are from Quebec.

We probably have VERY similar climates. I hope to have my 2018 - 2021 write-ups done sometime this year.

Off top of my head was impressed last year with in order of ripening:
Carroll (early but good apple that hangs well and does not all ripen at once so excellent for back yard) Starts end JULY!
Trailman and Norkent - Everyone rates these as their top favorite apples. Early (mid-late august). Drops easy. But fantastic and keep pretty well.
Red Sparkle - Flavor like a milder frostbite but earlier.
MacFree - great disease resistant McIntosh like (bit sweeter perhaps)
Northbrite pear - Awesome pear. Crisp and juicy that hangs 3+ weeks on the tree without rotting.
Crimson Crisp - Awesome apple but very leggy growth
Lucious pear - Smaller pear but strong bartlet flavor and nice soft texture when ripe.
Honey Gold - Big apples and 19 brix. VERY reminiscent of a good golden delicious.
Florina - Nice firm and flavorful apple
Golden Russet - 24 brix, great for cider

4 Likes

@steveb4 – Yeah, I’ve grown oysters in sawdust. I’ve got some Kings fruiting right now. I also have spawn for elm oysters, which I plan to try this autumn.

Once I grew wine caps outdoors in wood chips. The crop was massive but honestly the taste was bland. Is there a secret to making them tasty? And how would you use a crop that is 20 times what you could possible eat fresh?

Also once I grew blewits in composted leaves. This tasted great, but the crop was modest and it fruited only once. Is there a secret to multiple flushes, even if a year apart?

1 Like

wine caps are like button mushrooms . not much flavor on their own. used them in dishes like stir fry’s and such. i used to dry my extra in a cheap dehydrator or on low in the oven. blewits love compost of different things not just leaves. why i put them on the edge of my compost pile. i added composted chic manure every couple years and they’ve been flushing for 5 yrs now. the ones around my chicken run are from wild spawn that just popped up there 3 years ago. they grow about a foot from the edge of the fence .

2 Likes

What are you growing in Kernersville area?
I need to plant some fruit trees in my yard in W-S
I have rasberries and blueberries

1 Like

I need to get moving on building our patio /“deck” so that I have more room for potted figs and blueberries. They can only stay cuttings size for so long.

Also the backyard fence needs to be installed so my espalier/cordon trees can be planted instead of existing in potted purgatory. So much digging and planning, so little free time…

3 Likes

I hear you!