Your fruit knife

I did a search and didn’t find anything like this. Just wanting to know if anyone carries a knife that they mainly use for fruit cutting or if you have a favorite kitchen knife that handles most of the fruit and veggie prep? I use a Victorinox Executive that I carry daily. It has a great small blade that will cut to the middle of an apple or if I need to peel something at work. It has a orange peeler blade that scores oranges or any type of citrus really well on it too. I have carried this knife or one just like it for over a decade and it handles lots of cutting tasks but I try to keep it as my “clean” blade.

1 Like

For cutting fruit you’d be hard pressed to find a better pocket knife than an Opinel No 6. They are thin bladed and perfect for slicing and peeling. Simplistic design, low cost, and you can get them crazy sharp. The blades come in high carbon steel or stainless steel. Stainless might be better if you are using it solely for fruit cutting. I’ve even used the carbon steel version for grafting with great results.

4 Likes

Depends what fruit you’re trying to cut. For a 70 pound jackfruit, you actually need a sword!!!

4 Likes

I love Opinels as well :+1: Although I prefer a 7 or 8. I bought my mom one so she can carry a knife to cut tomatoes (she loves tomatoes and carries them with her as they ripen from her garden :joy: ) she loves it and carries it all the time.

1 Like

You are right! My little Executive wouldn’t handle a Jackfruit to well :rofl:

In my orchard I always have a grafting knife in my tool belt. So I just got in the habit of using that to cut fruit in the field. It is always super-sharp for grafting needs and so works very well on fruit. I have various grafting knives all Victorinox.

At home I use whatever is in the kitchen…

3 Likes