Your Largest Tomato

Curious to know, what is the largest tomato you have grown? I believe the one I grew this year was perhaps the largest I have ever grown - weighing in at 2.8 pounds. I had to weigh it on a stand-on bathroom type scale so I question the accuracy but it had to be approximately 3 pounds. The variety is Burpee’s Supersteak hybrid. If you don’t have a picture, tell us the variety and the approximate weight.

7 Likes

That’s a monster all right…!! Nice going.

I have many large (by my standards) tomatoes, but none of them is this big. I’ll make the pictures of them when they will be ripe.

Is it true the bigger the flower, the bigger the tomato? I had a seedling one year that produced huge flowers and that plant produced some huge beefsteak type maters. This year i’m only growing a sauce type…so no biggies.

With a bathroom-type scale, stand on it without the fruit then get off and back on with the fruit. Use the difference of the two measurements. Perhaps that’s what you did?

@Richard, that is exactly what my wife suggested, but I sat the tomato on by itself. It consistently read 2.8 so I believe that was correct.

@warmwxrules, I have not noticed bigger flowers. flowers on that plant look same as the others. Below is a pic I took today of the flowers.

@Antmary, can’t wait to see your pictures.

@Outdoor334 some of my large tomatoes repented or almost there. I do not grow large tomatoes on purpose, so they are not really huge.
Here is Mama Alla. I like that it did not crack.

The next is Black from Tula potato leaf. It is probably a hybrid of BFT and something else, but I like it very much.

Mexican tomato, the plant sets many fruits of this size.

3 Likes