Yummy Fried Apples

Nothing fancy but might inspire someone to make a sweet treat. Stayman apples, butter, white sugar and a little bit of cinnamon. I topped with raisins when served.

16 Likes

Put them in chicken burritos with cheddar cheese.

2 Likes

Are these fried in oil/fat? I’ve fried a range of fruits in beef tallow and find all tried to be generally delicious.

1 Like

They are fried in butter. Melted 1/2 cup of butter. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and dissolve. Took 3 large apples to fill the pan in a single layer. I did a second batch with Gold Rush which also turned out well for a more tart version.

2 Likes

My granny and mom made theirs by stumping their toe in vanilla extract…no cinnamon and no raisins but adding lemon juice. Lid on half of the cooking time then browned towards the end by adding salted butter and sugar lid off.

I dont like them any other way now.

3 Likes

like mine with vanilla, cinnamon, dash of pumpkin pie spice and lemon. also use brown sugar with real butter. got about 15lbs frozen i made from wild apples i foraged in late aug. very tasty

2 Likes

I bake mine in CorningWare with the lid on. Very often it’s pears instead of apples.

3 Likes

I follow the lead of Edna Lewis and cook them in a cast iron in a bit of bacon grease, and depending on the cultivar and moisture level just add a bit of sugar before caramelizing to a mixed light brown/deep amber. Great addition to the breakfast table.

4 Likes

I can confirm that is a great method.

1 Like

I sautee my early mcintosh in butter… once they soften and brown a little add a splash of organic maple syrup. Delicious.

2 Likes