Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly

This post has been deemed private by the creator.

10 Likes

great pic!

I plant a patch of dill and parsley just to encourage them to stay around. Fun for the kids to get to watch them lay eggs and then follow the growth of the larvae. They love dill.

3 Likes

we have alot of these butterflies here but don’t have pawpaws. wonder if they have alternate hosts? see the adults out and about around mid july/ august.

Glad you posted pics. Otherwise, I would likely be squishing anything that looks like that. Thanks for the education.

1 Like

zebra-swallowtail-butterfly
Kind of like really pretty rats here.,really pretty

1 Like

They sure are loving paw paw leaves.

Tony

found a adult dead in my greenhouse. must have got caught in there and died. was in perfect condition to add to a butterfly collection.

That is one fat, cute green worm, I’ve ever seen.

I have checked my pawpaws, nothing touches their leaves. I don’t even know these butterflies will come this far east. One can only hope.

Today on my hike…

13 Likes

Happy to see more of these in my yard this year!

5 Likes

Perhaps a cousin ?

We have the … Eastern tiger swallowtail here…

3 Likes

Yes, the eastern tiger swallowtails are more common here too. The zebra swallowtail caterpillars only feed on pawpaw leaves, and until this year I’d only ever seen a few in any given year. This year, there are quite a few more. Maybe that means my pawpaw trees are finally getting big enough to earn the extra attention.

2 Likes