Zenport/Generic Labled Grafting Tool

Perfect.

Dax

It looks like scion is thicker than the rootstock?was it that way when you grafted it?

It’s my phone camera and how I’m holding it. They are the same width.

Any updates people care to share? :slight_smile:

I just did 120 grafts with my new zenport V-cut tool and couldn’t be more happier. This probably isn’t the right choice of tool for everyone, and it sounds like Olpea and a few others got faulty tools which is very unfortunate. This tool does make very clean cuts though once you get it all dialed in. It took me about 40 minutes to line everything up and get the screws screwed in so it would make a perfect cut. It won’t take me near that long when I replace the blades the next time now that I know what I’m doing. Thanks @Barkslip!

8 Likes

I think the design is a bit weak on all the knock-off brands. The size of wood it will cut before breaking depends on how good the crimp was made, so I think it’s sort of “pot luck” with these things.

That said, I fixed mine and used it last year with excellent results. It produces perfectly matched cuts which heal like ramv’s photo above. So far I’m much more satisfied with the fit and success than grafts I’ve done with a knife or double blade pruners.

There is a parallel thread about this tool where I showed how I repaired mine. Mine was a fairly extensive repair I explain toward the end of the thread, but @danchappell had an much easier home fix repair in post number 28.

5 Likes

I bought this tool and it worked quite well on apples and pears. Not so well with mulberries that could just be me.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20200316045518&SearchText=grafting+tool

1 Like

I use my Zenport on persimmons where I can match caliper size. Jujubes are still getting cleft grafts because of so much difference in scion and rootstock size. I love it for the persimmons and the union site heals really well. I adjusted mine minimally and it works fine. I do try to make a quick firm push on the cut and it works better than just a slow cut though.

4 Likes

What beautiful grafts! Mine are not nearly as nice.

If I was just starting out, I think a Zenport tool would be great. As it is, I’ll continue using a knife. I mostly do whip and tongue.

What I like about these Zenport grafts is they dont leave exposed cut wood. I like that about whip and tongue as well.

1 Like

Well, it sort of worked. My batting average was probably only .250, but then, I’m a klutz. I have two nice small trees in the backyard.

The main problem is trying to compensate when the mismatched scionwood arrives.

1 Like

I’ve been very successful using the zen port tool to graft moderately mismatched scion. The trick is to make the V-cuts, and then shape it a little with the grafting knife. The “female” V cut has the two whip-tail ends, that are usually very flexible towards the ends. The male cut, I shave back the ends to expose more cambium further down and prepare a surface for the longer female “tails” to match to. Works great for me.

7 Likes

Are you using this as more of saddle (V on scion) or cleft (V on root)? I got the tool last week and am going to sit down with my grafts soon. The tool should be fine to use for most, but it’s the first time I’ve done anything besides basic whip-and-tongue.

You cut a big saddle out of the rootstock.

Do modify the tool this way with a round rasp and get it all lined up and you can’t miss. You’ll learn the pressure needed for every cut after a few years I suppose. The strength of the wood you’re cutting into or thru as needed and how to “chop” thru it.

Zenport%20Fix

Dax

3 Likes

I usually cut so that the wounds are aimed downward, just to make sure they can’t catch water and turn into soggy spots later. In dry, sunny California it probably makes no difference…

I got my “knock off” in the mail last week, but I my son didn’t have time to alter it yet. It is SO much lighter than the Fieldcraft, that thing is a beast. I hope it works just as good.

1 Like

It will.

Dax…

1 Like

I know this thread is about the zenport tool, but I had purchased an omega before finding this thread…

I have since found a (hopefully pink based on the photos) zenport style tool on Ali Express and a couple of spare blades for the zenport as well as a few spare v cut blades for the omega tool (I couldn’t resist for like 3 dollars).

I have 10 apple rootstocks and scions “burning a hole” in my beer fridge and I am wondering if I should be patient and wait for my zenport to arrive or should I risk it on the omega? Being apple trees do I have much to lose if they are going straight to a hot callus pipe to heal? Are the omega tools really inferior to the zenport by a large margin?

Also- I have the whiter and greener looking grafting tape pictured in that omega bundle. Which would you guys say is the better tape? Try both? This is my first try but I want to do it right!

3 Likes

@disc4tw
I don’t have a very high recommendation for that omega tool in your photo.
The zensport v cut tool being much better.
Better yet , I recommend a good knife .!
Practice your grafting skills.
But if you are running out of room in that beer frig.?
One must make a hard call… ?
We must have our priorities …:wink:

Not sure about those tapes ?

1 Like

Ryan,
I have no experience with the omega tool, but I have been using a zenport clone for a couple of years now, and can say that it makes an excellent cut. I am significantly faster with it than I am with a knife. All of my grafts are on stone fruit. If my scions are in good condition, I have a good success rate. My challenge now is doing a better job with scion storage.

2 Likes

I think there are different versions of the omega. I bought one that would not cut…just crushed the wood. Someone else told me his was fantastic and did a nice clean cut. If I were you I’d go and cut some limbs off a tree and make sure it cuts before you try your grafts. I have a Zenport knockoff and love it.

1 Like