Zenport/Generic Labled Grafting Tool

I use my Zenport on persimmons where I can match caliper size. Jujubes are still getting cleft grafts because of so much difference in scion and rootstock size. I love it for the persimmons and the union site heals really well. I adjusted mine minimally and it works fine. I do try to make a quick firm push on the cut and it works better than just a slow cut though.

4 Likes

What beautiful grafts! Mine are not nearly as nice.

If I was just starting out, I think a Zenport tool would be great. As it is, I’ll continue using a knife. I mostly do whip and tongue.

What I like about these Zenport grafts is they dont leave exposed cut wood. I like that about whip and tongue as well.

1 Like

Well, it sort of worked. My batting average was probably only .250, but then, I’m a klutz. I have two nice small trees in the backyard.

The main problem is trying to compensate when the mismatched scionwood arrives.

1 Like

I’ve been very successful using the zen port tool to graft moderately mismatched scion. The trick is to make the V-cuts, and then shape it a little with the grafting knife. The “female” V cut has the two whip-tail ends, that are usually very flexible towards the ends. The male cut, I shave back the ends to expose more cambium further down and prepare a surface for the longer female “tails” to match to. Works great for me.

7 Likes

Are you using this as more of saddle (V on scion) or cleft (V on root)? I got the tool last week and am going to sit down with my grafts soon. The tool should be fine to use for most, but it’s the first time I’ve done anything besides basic whip-and-tongue.

You cut a big saddle out of the rootstock.

Do modify the tool this way with a round rasp and get it all lined up and you can’t miss. You’ll learn the pressure needed for every cut after a few years I suppose. The strength of the wood you’re cutting into or thru as needed and how to “chop” thru it.

Zenport%20Fix

Dax

3 Likes

I usually cut so that the wounds are aimed downward, just to make sure they can’t catch water and turn into soggy spots later. In dry, sunny California it probably makes no difference…

I got my “knock off” in the mail last week, but I my son didn’t have time to alter it yet. It is SO much lighter than the Fieldcraft, that thing is a beast. I hope it works just as good.

1 Like

It will.

Dax…

1 Like

I know this thread is about the zenport tool, but I had purchased an omega before finding this thread…

I have since found a (hopefully pink based on the photos) zenport style tool on Ali Express and a couple of spare blades for the zenport as well as a few spare v cut blades for the omega tool (I couldn’t resist for like 3 dollars).

I have 10 apple rootstocks and scions “burning a hole” in my beer fridge and I am wondering if I should be patient and wait for my zenport to arrive or should I risk it on the omega? Being apple trees do I have much to lose if they are going straight to a hot callus pipe to heal? Are the omega tools really inferior to the zenport by a large margin?

Also- I have the whiter and greener looking grafting tape pictured in that omega bundle. Which would you guys say is the better tape? Try both? This is my first try but I want to do it right!

3 Likes

@disc4tw
I don’t have a very high recommendation for that omega tool in your photo.
The zensport v cut tool being much better.
Better yet , I recommend a good knife .!
Practice your grafting skills.
But if you are running out of room in that beer frig.?
One must make a hard call… ?
We must have our priorities …:wink:

Not sure about those tapes ?

1 Like

Ryan,
I have no experience with the omega tool, but I have been using a zenport clone for a couple of years now, and can say that it makes an excellent cut. I am significantly faster with it than I am with a knife. All of my grafts are on stone fruit. If my scions are in good condition, I have a good success rate. My challenge now is doing a better job with scion storage.

2 Likes

I think there are different versions of the omega. I bought one that would not cut…just crushed the wood. Someone else told me his was fantastic and did a nice clean cut. If I were you I’d go and cut some limbs off a tree and make sure it cuts before you try your grafts. I have a Zenport knockoff and love it.

1 Like

I ponied up for a sharpening stone set too. Lots of options to consider and experiment with! The beer can wait for the trees to be happy haha.

That is good information to have. I’ve seen on multiple occasions here that stone fruit is more challenging than apples /pears etc.

I have a small freezer with an ink bird thermostat controller that keeps it at 40 degrees F instead of freezing. Easy setup if you can find the right size freezer!

Thank you for sharing! I will go chop off a willow branch and try my tool before I attempt the apples.

1 Like

It’s huge. One of my mentors and then his best buddy have tried omega tools over the years and have said not a one of them they tried was worth a shit.

Btw, Katy uses a V-cut “Zenport” which is the same as the Generic V-cuts (she may have an omega too idk) for clarification on the matter… she stands on her head to graft^! (I swear she said it to me once :- ) haha

Dax

2 Likes

I like to support domestic industry, so I steer clear of any Chinese made products unless they’re absolutely a necessity and no alternative exists. In this case, I have a trusty grafting knife and some parafilm, so no tool for me.

1 Like

You’re welcome to come play with me and the big boys anytime. You can graft over an entire orchard…

knives only, now. :wink:

Dax

2 Likes

I bought a tool that looks just like the picture , even got a roll of tape looks just like the top one. Have tried on the three P’s peach, pear and persimmon with various results. As for the tape a growing branch won’t stretch it and will girdle if left on too long. I have 0 experience with the Z. I’m going to cast my vote for the knife.

Good to know. I just tested the omega “u shape” on a redbud branch I pruned and it actually looked to be decent, but I have nothing else to compare it to!

Me too Michael! We just put American made solar panels on our house in August! I have to draw the line somewhere though, and the ~10% premium for the panels was acceptable. I can’t justify spending $450 for a hobby tool when I can get one with extra blades for 10% of the cost though. But I agree with the sentiment and maybe if I go professional down the road I’ll get the USA (surely better quality) version, if nothing else than to have the flexibility to deal with larger diameter wood.

I purchased a sharpening stone to get my Swiss Army knife in tip top shape to try it out along the way for comparison. Thank you for the tip on the tape, I’ll be sure to watch out for girdling if I go that route. Maybe stretching the tape more would be helpful?

I liked the way the u snapped together like a puzzle really looks good too. I was not bench grafting. Maybe birds and squirrels helped with some failures. I stretched the tape as I wrapped, I think it is just too tuff. I tried parafilm and self sealing electric tape this year. Apparently I got the cheep version of parafilm it cracked and split. I liked the rubber electric tape it stretched as the trees grew.

2 Likes