Zenport/Generic Labled Grafting Tool

I know this thread is about the zenport tool, but I had purchased an omega before finding this thread…

I have since found a (hopefully pink based on the photos) zenport style tool on Ali Express and a couple of spare blades for the zenport as well as a few spare v cut blades for the omega tool (I couldn’t resist for like 3 dollars).

I have 10 apple rootstocks and scions “burning a hole” in my beer fridge and I am wondering if I should be patient and wait for my zenport to arrive or should I risk it on the omega? Being apple trees do I have much to lose if they are going straight to a hot callus pipe to heal? Are the omega tools really inferior to the zenport by a large margin?

Also- I have the whiter and greener looking grafting tape pictured in that omega bundle. Which would you guys say is the better tape? Try both? This is my first try but I want to do it right!

3 Likes

@disc4tw
I don’t have a very high recommendation for that omega tool in your photo.
The zensport v cut tool being much better.
Better yet , I recommend a good knife .!
Practice your grafting skills.
But if you are running out of room in that beer frig.?
One must make a hard call… ?
We must have our priorities …:wink:

Not sure about those tapes ?

1 Like

Ryan,
I have no experience with the omega tool, but I have been using a zenport clone for a couple of years now, and can say that it makes an excellent cut. I am significantly faster with it than I am with a knife. All of my grafts are on stone fruit. If my scions are in good condition, I have a good success rate. My challenge now is doing a better job with scion storage.

2 Likes

I think there are different versions of the omega. I bought one that would not cut…just crushed the wood. Someone else told me his was fantastic and did a nice clean cut. If I were you I’d go and cut some limbs off a tree and make sure it cuts before you try your grafts. I have a Zenport knockoff and love it.

1 Like

I ponied up for a sharpening stone set too. Lots of options to consider and experiment with! The beer can wait for the trees to be happy haha.

That is good information to have. I’ve seen on multiple occasions here that stone fruit is more challenging than apples /pears etc.

I have a small freezer with an ink bird thermostat controller that keeps it at 40 degrees F instead of freezing. Easy setup if you can find the right size freezer!

Thank you for sharing! I will go chop off a willow branch and try my tool before I attempt the apples.

1 Like

It’s huge. One of my mentors and then his best buddy have tried omega tools over the years and have said not a one of them they tried was worth a shit.

Btw, Katy uses a V-cut “Zenport” which is the same as the Generic V-cuts (she may have an omega too idk) for clarification on the matter… she stands on her head to graft^! (I swear she said it to me once :- ) haha

Dax

2 Likes

I like to support domestic industry, so I steer clear of any Chinese made products unless they’re absolutely a necessity and no alternative exists. In this case, I have a trusty grafting knife and some parafilm, so no tool for me.

1 Like

You’re welcome to come play with me and the big boys anytime. You can graft over an entire orchard…

knives only, now. :wink:

Dax

2 Likes

I bought a tool that looks just like the picture , even got a roll of tape looks just like the top one. Have tried on the three P’s peach, pear and persimmon with various results. As for the tape a growing branch won’t stretch it and will girdle if left on too long. I have 0 experience with the Z. I’m going to cast my vote for the knife.

Good to know. I just tested the omega “u shape” on a redbud branch I pruned and it actually looked to be decent, but I have nothing else to compare it to!

Me too Michael! We just put American made solar panels on our house in August! I have to draw the line somewhere though, and the ~10% premium for the panels was acceptable. I can’t justify spending $450 for a hobby tool when I can get one with extra blades for 10% of the cost though. But I agree with the sentiment and maybe if I go professional down the road I’ll get the USA (surely better quality) version, if nothing else than to have the flexibility to deal with larger diameter wood.

I purchased a sharpening stone to get my Swiss Army knife in tip top shape to try it out along the way for comparison. Thank you for the tip on the tape, I’ll be sure to watch out for girdling if I go that route. Maybe stretching the tape more would be helpful?

I liked the way the u snapped together like a puzzle really looks good too. I was not bench grafting. Maybe birds and squirrels helped with some failures. I stretched the tape as I wrapped, I think it is just too tuff. I tried parafilm and self sealing electric tape this year. Apparently I got the cheep version of parafilm it cracked and split. I liked the rubber electric tape it stretched as the trees grew.

2 Likes

I’ll repeat what’s above (somewhere) but my friends are not young. I’ve only been grafting 21 years. These guys 40 and 50 years they have. Here’s the problem I figured out on my own with the Omega (shape.) NOT the tool . . .

It cuts out a puzzle piece with rounded edges without the capability of adding flexibility to the next piece that’s going to fit. It goes in there solid and there is no material on earth that can close a gap. A “V” has a longer length cut that is flexible between your fingers to compress as well as decompress very easily. Using whatever your choice of holding material (bud strips, electrical tape, etc.) to put the union together is your choice. I use budding strips most of the time for bench grafting but I have to use electrical tape, too. Those are the two that I prefer.

Thanks for the conversation.

Dax

2 Likes

That’s an astute observation. I suppose you’d need to put a bolt through the union and clamp it with a nut in order to get enough clamping force to close the gap. Not very practical.

The V is inherently more compliant.

2 Likes

The harder the wood (nut trees) the more compliant it needs to be as you begin a dance forcing the V to close. I did a test using Whip and Tongue and a V tool and the results are equal. You can get a little better with the tool.

For anyone wishing to buy from New Zealand via America: Fieldcraft Topgrafter

I don’t know what else?

Best Murky,

Dax

3 Likes

For $30 . . . I am giving it a shot.
Will use it for the first time, today . . .
I am so afraid of slicing myself to ribbons - even though I’ve gotten pretty darn good at making the cuts.
Will report back later . . . . . .
thanks for the tip.

4 Likes

Hi folks

Just thought I would say hello from here in Devon in the UK where I have a passion that has got out of control for growing fruit trees ie. apples, pears, cherries & plums in pots! Yes, I did say pots, in a tiny space that you would never believe possible. I have found it is really interesting and I am learning more and more as each season passes us by and really enjoying the various challenges this hobby creates. I grow mainly cordons, a few espaliers and now am starting to experiment with a bending style for cherries. The young trees at 12 months old, start in 15Ltr. pots and then as they become more established are potted on into 25Ltr, 30ltr, 35ltr, 40ltr, 45ltr, 50ltr and 55ltr Smithy style tub pots depending on what is the most suitable next step up for that tree and what variety of tree it is. I will need to check out if you have a thread for the pot growing enthusiast as it is all a bit more critical but maybe easier to manage.

I have over the last three or four years gradually got into collecting or sometimes purchasing scion wood as well as various rootstocks so have tried grafting with various but not very impressive degrees of success!

So, consequently I was looking for something to make my life easier as well as less dangerous and after extensive searching and trying to get my head around the options I decided on a J68 Professional Grafting Tool as I really liked the design and thought it would do a good job as I am a bit of a perfectionist and wanted a proper tool rather than a gimmick.

Big Mistake!! What a ‘pigs ear’ of a tool this turned out to be. The blades are not of a sufficient quality to retain their shape when cutting and open up a gap under even slight pressure. The male anvil will not adjust close enough to the inner blades and is tilting down well below the female so not supporting the wood. I was not willing to try and bend the (what appeared to be a silver coloured cast metal) male anvil just in case it broke, jeopardising my chance of returning the item.

I did not achieve a single good trial cut even after extensive adjustment as far as was possible. As the wood was not cleanly cut it was difficult to remove the wood from the tool and the lower exit cut was unacceptably rough!

I then searched for more information and fortunately came across this great bulletin board and read the two threads concerned from back to front, where I realised it really is a game of chance as to whether you get a good tool or not, or get a tool that can be adjusted to work as intended. I had never heard of Zenport let alone realised they were a named manufacturer of a copy of the original Ragget Industries Topgrafter and now I realise, that I purchased one of how ever many companies there are in China making copies of the ‘original’ Zenport copy all to differing standards of quality and precision!

Goodness gracious, no wonder I found it confusing but now I believe I fully understand the situation I will return my generic un-named J68 for a refund as I know there are better ones out there.

The question is how to recognise this on the web and not make the same mistake again so just wondering if any of you more experienced grafters out there know of a reliable source for purchasing the better quality, fully adjustable ones with higher quality blades.

Well after all the hassle with the above I may have just dug a bigger hole for myself as I have ordered what is listed as a Zenport ZJ60 on Amazon so I am hoping it may be a ‘genuine’ Zenport reasonably good quality copy of the Scionon Multi Grafter so fingers crossed it works ok and arrives reasonably quickly as the buds on the stone fruits are just starting to enter the bud burst stage!

Hope you enjoyed my story and i look forward to being a part of your community.

Regards

Barrie

7 Likes

Welcome. I am growing my fruit trees in large Anduze pots. I left my orchard in the States for fruit trees in pots on my terrace in France. I love it. It is manageable ! I have 8 trees only. One is an espalier. Black currants in pots too. And citrus as well. Ordered a new grafting tool from Amazon. It never arrived.

4 Likes

Gosh, was that a long time ago that you ordered that? Definitely while in the states, I’m thinking it was?

Glad your settled in and I’m real happy for ya.

I saw the same Zenport ZJ60 on Amazon too that looked like the scionon grafting tool I have seen on YouTube. Let me know how it works out. I have just been using a box cutter and wanted to see if it’s worth it to get some more consistency. I think the concept of it is very cool. Thank you!

Hi mrsg47
Thank you for your welcome. Those pots sound great. We also grow raspberries in pots which can be very successful if you stick to rainwater (our water around here is to alkaline @ Ph 7.0) and a good feed.

I started at 8 pots to take down to Devon when we moved down here to retire but I have tooooo many to count now! Its just a great hobby and gets you outdoors even in the winter.

1 Like