Zone 6 January any garden green food?

Zone 5, z6, 7a, is anything green in your garden right now outdoors??
Here in Kansas in January you have green winter wheat, rye, cheat…
Is there anything else that i should try that would similar to wheat stay green and edible all winter to 0F?

Since we have had little weather below 10F so far, underneath the dieback is green sprigs of oregano, spearmint, and the strawberries are surprisingly green. My other mints and herbs are all frozen…

Kale and mustard greens. I mainly grow it for my but-nugget gifting birds, but they always do well during winter. They may not grow any under your circumstances, but they’ll hang on until it gets warm enough to resume growth.

2 Likes

My kale and mint were the last ones standing but died in December. I don’t think any of the annuals are left alive and perennials are in deep sleep

1 Like

Just collard. wednesday there is a thaw and it will be a good time to pick a few, but even when I pick it frozen it is good and fresh when it thaws. truly a remarkable winter veggie.

1 Like

Here (canadian zone 4b /USDA 3b), our garden is buried under 2 feet of snow. I suppose we could dig up some carrots. January is the worst for me. I won’t see any green before march. I always think about becoming a snow bird at this time of year. Florida: never been there but I’m sure I would love it!

2 Likes

I’ve dug German feldsalat (aka mache, corn salad) out from under the snow. It’s not producing worth a darn during the cold, but it’s incredibly frost tolerant as long as it doesn’t dry out completely and it will keep some greens all winter in 7b. It’s also really delicious- among my favorite greens.

3 Likes

Ok so for my sunny prairie zone 6b i am thinking of trying next fall for winter/overwintering corn salad, kale, collards, carrots… Anything else that you can harvest in january? Or that overwinters and leafs out early at the first warm weather?
Anyone growing parsnips or horseradish or jerusalem artichoke?

Chickweed.

1 Like

[quote=“PaulinKansas6b, post:8, topic:19863”]
(“Anyone growing parsnips or horseradish or jerusalem artichoke?”)
Yes, they are out there , can be dug when the ground is not frozen.
I recommend lettuce , have some that made it through single digits under the snow.
Some times small lettuce plants ( dime size) makes it right through the winter here.
,… Mache ( corn salad ) over winters here,
Walking onions
Spinach.
Scotch kale
Cilantro
Brussels sprouts ,some years all winter
Garlic greens
Arugula

Size -/- age of plants can effect survival.
Each year is different , some years small plants make it through better than big.
Multiple sowings in fall = different size plants= hedging your odds
Row covers can make a big difference , as can snow

1 Like

I grow Jerusalem artichoke. It’s is pest free and disease free. Once you have it,it’s hard to get rid of it. It overwinter well, uhm if the ground isn’t frozen,you can harvest throughout whole winter. Unfortunately, I need dynamite to dig them out in Chicago winter time

1 Like

Plenty of turnips under plastic right now. We will likely eat turnip greens and the turnips.
@jessica4b try Florida in the second week of February it’s wonderful! I like to go there and pick the fresh citrus in Kissimmee during February!

3 Likes

Some red sails lettuce, and Creasy greens ,
A few days ago it was in the single digits , with 3" of snow.
The snow protected these .

These are outside unprotected zone 6b Wv.

3 Likes

That is great to see thanks for the picture!! So are both unharmed by the temps so far?

Yes , unharmed , perfectly good.
If they had not been covered by snow ( or row covers) the lettuce may have died. cressy greens are tough , they grow right on through the winter
Most years I do several fall plantings , lay row covers on them, without support burry edges of row covers. Eat from them most of the winter - spring.
This year iam eating out of my high tunnel.
I Recommend getting a high tunnel for fresh winter food.

1 Like
1 Like