I am planning on expanding my orchard next spring— by a LOT! Trees are in a flood irrigated pasture, and get about 3-4” of water every two weeks, mid-March thru October. I drag some hoses out there for some supplemental watering a few times in the winter, and maybe once or twice in extreme summer heat. Location: South Valley, New Mexico. (Technically 7b… 7a is one block away lol). Trees planted 2015-2019, some bare root online, some in pots from local nurseries.
Here’s what I have so far:
- Plumcot, Spring Satin (stopped fruiting after my apricot died— I think it needs a pollinator now)
- Peach, Elberta — FANTASTIC!
- Nectarine, Fantasia — very sweet and delicious, if I can get them before the Japanese Beatles do.
- Pear, D’Anjou
- Peach, Red Haven — lots of growth, but no fruit yet, even in years when Elberta has
- Raspberries— Polana Fall, Heritage Fall, Prelude Summer, Double Gold Fall, Jewel Black Summer
- Blackberries— Triple Crown, Prime Ark Freedom, Apache Erect, Ouachita Semi Trailing (the berry situation is a little nutty— it’s nice having berries ripening at different times all season long, but it’s impossible to properly train so many varieties on one system)
- Persimmon, Hachiya (no crop yet)
- Pear, Bartlett
- Apple, Goldrush Semi-Dwarf (first crop coming this year— excited!)
- Apple, Macoun Semi-Dwarf (no crop yet)
- Cherry, Lapins x2 of them
- Asian Pear, Chojuro (brand new, no crop yet)
I have room for 13 more fruit trees. Been doing tons of research (New Mexico State University has some really good articles). Here’s what I’m considering:
- Apple, Cox’s Orange Pippin
- Apple, Arkansas Black
- Apple, Jonalicious
- Apple, Golden Russet
- Peach, Intrepid
- Jujube, Honey Jar
- Plum, Stanley
- Plum, Methley (hopefully a pollinator for my plumcot)
- Plum, Golden Nectar
- Apricot, Harglow
- Apricot, Harcot (late frosts are problem here— considering late flowering varieties for this reason).
- Mulberry, Silk Hope (morus rubra grows wild around here and is delicious— eager to try a new variety!)
- Asian Pear, Korean Giant
Other favorite varieties? Success with these ones? Would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions!