Zone pushers

Sorry for the trouble my post caused. I think leaving it so those that desire to read the censored items may do so is great. It should reduce some of the glee those on the ‘left’ of contentious issues get in trying to cancel those from the ‘right’.

I can sense it causes extra trouble and I’ll try harder to be a-political.
But it’s hard to be quiet if somebody says climate change is going to flood Florida –
my response that that’s not true is considered politics and gets flagged.
It is noticed and appreciated that you try to be neutral in a time that’s rare.
:+1:

10 Likes

I believe in and like my global warming. I am politically left but I will agree the situation is not close to being gloom and doom. I know to much to panic. We will adjust as needed… Reptiles do much belter with a warmer earth and mammals will simply move north. My growing season is a month longer now.

3 Likes

I have tried pushing the season ever since the 1960’s. Planting potatoes and onions and garden peas in February if I could get the soil ready that early in the year.
Some years the seed rotted, some years they came up and got frozen.
Some years (about 50%) it turned out great and I had some of the earliest harvests in the neighborhood. That in zone 6 in KY.

In the 21st century, I’m still doing the same thing…and the results are still in the same ballpark. Sometimes I get an early crop and sometimes nature forces me to replant once, or more in some years.

Some of these late Decembers/early January do seem to be having spells of heat that are too long…but then again I remember the copperhead snake mom killed after Christmas in '66 or '67…time passes and the year I may have mixed up.

I can’t say the length of my average season has changed much in the past 50- to 60 years.

I found seeds of a purple bean (Royalty Purple Pod) in a magazine back in elementary school days…and learned it’s seeds could successfully sprout in cold soil and produce first beans of the year usually. But, some years late freezess flattened and blackened them in April–just as some years that still happens.

Only, I need to order more seeds, I think those are still around. Mine are old as I’ve not planted them in a spell.

Sometimes pushing the zone turns out ok. But, over the span of a lifetime, the things you’ve seen once, you’ll see again most likely. That includes both hot and cold.
This year is only the third in 21 years I think that it’s gone to -5 or under. So, maybe they do move me into 7a next time there is a updated zone map. But, Ive been in 6b, for a couple decades, in 5a for a couple decades, and in 6 before that (and I lived then on the other side of the hill from my current little place).

1 Like

I’ve always wondered if one could get away with a small enclosure and a few hundred pounds of ice deposited over the course of a few weeks…

Its probably a good thing I’ve always been to poor to try some of the hair-brained ideas that cross my mind…

lol

Scott

2 Likes

Another hair-brained idea I’ve mulled is creating a cold-frame/mini greenhouse into which I could plant and maintain something which is a zone or so warmer than I should be able to get away with here (zone 6 Michigan). If I could place it on the south side of the house (which admittedly would be difficult) that might be good. Right against my foundation with one of the old tarred windows might help as well.

I’ve had winters where the lowest temp never drops below 0 (so zone 7) but most winters we see a couple nights below 0, though not further than -10 in my 20+ years here.

I want Chilean guavas here and while my current plants are going well. (into their 3rd year) I have not yet had any production…

Scott

2 Likes

I don’t think a cold frame against the house is crazy, in fact I began a greenhouse thread recently which discussed putting it against the south side of the garage. Unfortunately my electrical meter is there so I cannot. It would definitely be beneficial in zone pushing if you have the opportunity.

My greenhouse video is in that thread.

4 Likes

How can you separate politics from farming and agriculture? If you see clear blues days ,followed by relentless aircraft crisscrossing the sky with white lines, followed by clouds and rain, followed by soil samples testing positive for barium ,strontium, aluminum, lithium etc… , you should probably be concerned. I amazed that people can put the heads in the sand and pretend the actions around them wont have consequences! Do you guys really not care? Im blown away. I can link the patents, but its likely it wont do any good. Ive learned its easier to fool people than to convince them theyve been fooled and most people would rather hear a comfortable lie than hear a painful truth. I wish you all the best of luck! I hope you are all successful in your endeavors! You dont have to worry about anymore comments from me. I respect your community! I will seek like minds elsewhere. To me left and right is just 2 sides of the same coin. Circus for the collective!

3 Likes

We tried allowing politics here for several years but we ended up having to play referee with people throwing personal insults at each other. Yes in theory it would be great to discuss everything. No it doesn’t always work out.

9 Likes

So far in 2023 I’m in zone7 ( 7F one night.) According to the USDA I’m in zone 5B. We may get back to a few normal weeks of winter, but I think I’ll still be safely in zone 6A.

2 Likes

In Florida I would worry less about flooding than groundwater.

How rising groundwater caused by climate change could devastate coastal communities | MIT Technology Review

1 Like

I responded to your discussion there, but I didn’t catch what you decided. I was hoping the codes in your town would allow it, since you could allow access for any meter checking. But I can see that sharing a small space with a couple hundred amps might take the edge off your enjoyment.

Don’t know about your part of Florida…but south of I-4 the sink holes are proof of lowered groundwater.

People these days write articles every day of the week alleging future climate calamities.

And most of them are terribly exaggerated.

2 Likes

You’re talking about a different thing entirely. The freshwater aquifer (trapped below the limestone layer) is indeed declining, which can cause sinkholes to open up, but the seawater levels are rising, which causes saltwater to encroach on the water table that’s at the surface (above the limestone). That near-surface water table then becomes brackish and gets closer to ground level, which is what that article was about.

3 Likes

I agree the oceans are rising about a half inch in 10 years. Should I or my kids be in a panic about that?

If you live somewhere that coastal flooding is already a problem, then yes a few inches in your lifetime might be enough reason to panic and move.

I would imagine ,since limestone is very porous, that saltwater will find it’s way into the aquifer wherever the fresh water has been lowered, at least within an area near the coast. This would include almost all the coastal cities and some very high priced real estate. That would mean a lot of property losing a lot of value, and cities losing a lot of tax revenue. They will be asking state and federal governments for lots of help. People who are forced out by problem will be looking for somewhere else to move. So water can cause all kinds of problems even if it doesn’t flood your house.

1 Like

There are some issues with saltwater intrusion in the aquifer, but not a whole lot because it’s artesian (under positive pressure), so you actually get freshwater “blue holes” even out under the ocean near the coast of Florida sometimes, where fresh water is flowing out and you can swim down into fresh water caves from salt water.

However, as that water gets used (Zephyrhills :eyes:) at a faster rate than it gets replaced, that pressure decreases and the aquifer level decreases, allowing saltwater intrusion.

Good point. I am sort of assuming that there will eventually be a time when the freshwater is being used faster than it’s replaced. Not long ago the Everglades were seriously stressed when a drought took hold.

Hawaii has this too. They actually found freshwater rivers coming out of lava tubes miles offshore. Saltwater and fresh water hate mixing when stacked in slow moving areas like an aquifer. The fresh water floats on top of the salt water; even estuaries stay layered for a surprisingly long way out to sea. The fish love it because the freshwater kills off many skin and gill parasites. Think oil separating in the fridge in an oil and vinegar salad dressing. They call this in sea/fresh water the halocline boundary; where they stratify and don’t mix.

3 Likes