Is a small greenhouse worth the effort?

I have a space between my garage doors approximately 7.5’ wide and am considering buying/building a greenhouse between 6-7’ wide and up to 8-10’ long.

I have little experience with greenhouse growing myself and have read from some members that the larger they get the better they work. I assume this is similar to scaling a fish tank, where a 10 gallon tank is actually more effort than a 55 gallon tank to maintain.

I have been offered a carport frame (free) and have been looking at double wall poly sheets to fabricate my own.

However, it is tempting to just jump on something like this:

https://www.aosom.com/item/outsunny-portable-outdoor-walk-in-garden-greenhouse-with-roof-vent-and-rain-gutter-for-plants-herbs-and-vegetables-6-l-x-6-25-w~845-243.html?recv=eyJwYWdldHlwZSI6InNjaCJ9

I’d like to get a head start on seedlings and extend my fig season,also possibly overwinter some potted stuff outside (z6) instead of the garage if you guys think it would be a good idea.

Pardon the scrap and garbage cans, but this is my spot. South facing in the driveway, the snow usually melts here before I get to shoveling it.

I would love to put it directly against the house with something like this

https://www.aosom.com/item/outsunny-walk-in-garden-greenhouse-aluminum-polycarbonate-with-roof-vent-for-plants-herbs-vegetables-8-x-4-x-7-green~17SI7D0QHG800.html?recv=eyJwYWdldHlwZSI6InNjaCJ9

However I’m pretty sure there are safety issues or code violations with enclosing the electrical meter and solar shutoff.

4 Likes

I’m trying to visualize this. :slightly_smiling_face:
Will it be outside a two door garage, between two garages, or? Which sides (N, S, E, W) will be obstructed by garage walls?

Updated above ^

1 Like

What direction does that wall face?

I think it is a great idea. You know already that it will be utilized, it will not be overly expensive and if it doesnt work out components can be repurposed. The biggest upside is this will show you what you really do need/want and will give you time and insight to build a if you choose to.

1 Like

This is the south facing wall of the house.

1 Like

Codes are easy to find on your county website, give the utilities the necessary clearance there should be plenty of room

1 Like

Well… The challenge is that after looking at panels, they legitimately might cost as much as just buying a kit like those I linked. However, I expect the materials in those kits are likely single wall and lower quality, so it’s kind of a catch 22. Buy the pre-built kit knowing the dimensions are kosher and accept lower insulation properties, or DIY for probably the same price knowing the effort is likely doubled for customization but ending up with a likely superior quality product.

1 Like

My thoughts on putting it touching the house would be “free” heat emanating from the side of the garage which has a duct from the hvac (closed but still leaks some, not currently up to code but legal when installed in the 50s).

And an edit: Not trying to argue with you and I greatly value the input. I’m just trying to take a hesitant mindset towards the project so that I can nip any challenges in the bud and not reinvent the wheel.

1 Like

Well I like the location, although you’ll need to maintain a 4’ distance from those meters. For potted figs and other plants in your winter you’ll need an insulated floor on top of that asphalt plus a moderate heat source. Conversely you’ll need a serious ventilation fan to expell heat late Spring to Fall.

1 Like

My guess is that if you build the greenhouse around the electrical services so that they are accessible from inside the greenhouse you’d meet code. And I agree that if possible you’d want to be able harvest that bit of heat from the house. @Olpea will have a better idea, and of course the local building authorities. Good luck!

1 Like

I have seen people put up greenhouses in my neighborhood the last few years as gardening has been more in demand. My thought is do you have a garage? In my experience a garage literally fills the same effect of a greenhouse. I was able to overwinter 2 Morus Nigra mulberry just fine in my garage despite it being opened for things like a car leaving/coming and being opened when shoveling. I kept a bucket with water for sponging up any water and reusing the water. The only time I think I saw the water freeze was when we got to -1 for 1 day. Another issue I found which you may find with a greenhouse is while it extends your season is plants want to come out of dormancy earlier. I think my Girardi mulberry came out of dormancy in March or April instead of coming out of dormancy in May and I had a harvest of mulberry when other trees were just coming out.

I do! However I would rather park my car in the garage and this year supplies for building a deck are currently taking up both sides of the garage. Trying to fix that asap.

I see that as an advantage rather than an issue! I want to extend my fruit season wherever possible. Earlier is better for less pests and critter pressure for me…

I will be taking a look at the regulations for this. Definitely worth checking it out for the free heat.

1 Like

There is a safety rule of thumb used by fire departments: if a structure is on fire or threatened by fire and the utility shutoff is tedious to access, they will think twice about saving it and instead focus on keeping the fire from spreading. This also applies to homes where the owner has stacked a significant amount of firewood against or adjacent to the house.

3 Likes

I would go with your car port and plastic idea. It’s cheap and easy to move or take apart later if you have to. Just remember it will take some severe anchoring. Some cheap cattle panel from tractor supply would help reinforce the roof plastic.

If you use the car port you might be able to put hinges in the center peaks. That way when not in use you could fold in half length ways to consume less space. Car port was my original idea for my own, but later changed to using straight cattle panels.

1 Like

My greenhouse is home made.

3 Likes

I built something like this last spring with spare wood.

In my limited experience and research…It’s going to be more spring and fall use. It was too hot in the summer and stuff is in other spots by then. It will be too cold in the winter without a lot more insulation and supplemental heating.

I’m not using it to store dormant potted plants. You get the opposite summer problem of needing to keep it cool in winter to keep them dormant. The only thing in it right now is a potted rosemary. You could keep it shaded with tarps but you’re not gaining much in terms of winter protection other than wind.

It has barrels and containers of water for thermal mass.

I’m sure I’ll learn how to use it more effectively over time.

7 Likes

As it was explained to me, it’s more about getting things started early. So the extra heat is needed. The winter is only to keep the wind off them. Summer you lift the sides to keep cool. I still have not actually built mine yet. Keep debating on whether I really need it or not.

1 Like

I put up a greenhouse every winter for several years. It had a small heater used to keep things above freezing, but not really warm. Everything in there was completely saturated with condensation all winter. Plugs on electric cords and such would corrode very quickly. I don’t think it would be wise to enclose the electric meter etc., even if it isn’t against codes.

2 Likes