Zoo Atlanta fruit tree finds

@manfromyard and @GeorgiaGent had both posted previously about some varieties of fruit trees that they had seen when they were visiting Zoo Atlanta here in Georgia, so I was on the lookout today to add to my list that consisted solely of the fig tree that I had observed all those years ago when I last visited. There must be someone who works with the facility to whom we owe thanks for incorporating these trees into the landscaping plan (except the persimmon, which must be exceedingly old).

Many, many loquat trees, so I didn’t bother to snap pictures of them all

(near the meerkat exhibit)

(near the elephant exhibit)

(between the exhibits for the the elephants and for the giraffes)

(near the warthog exhibit)

What I take to be hawthorn, replete with cedar apple rust

(near the rhinoceros exhibit)

A row of trifoliate orange

(near the lion exhibit)

There were quite a few mulberry trees, so I only got a couple of pictures

(near The Living Treehouse)

(tree as well as close-up, located near the summer exhibit location of the giant tortoise)

Some of the pawpaw trees that were growing near The Living Treehouse on the monkey side

The largest diameter persimmon tree that I have seen, though certainly not the tallest, and there was a smattering of fruit that we spotted

(in the tortoise exhibit and near the red panda one)

Many pineapple guava that ringed the alpaca exhibit of the Children’s Zoo section

and a close-up of a fruit on the largest specimen

A pair of chestnut trees, providing shade to the patrons in the petting area of the Children’s Zoo

The fig tree between the Splash Fountain and the merry-go-round

and it’s fruit, beginning to ripen and develop color

Two areas of banana trees, though there were additional ones elsewhere

(near Splash Fountain)

(near the ramp up to the exit)

And an almost overlooked serviceberry

(near the summer exhibit location of the giant tortoise)

I hope that y’all have enjoyed what I was able to spot and will keep your eyes open when YOU come to visit in order to add to the list that which I have missed!

6 Likes

Really awesome when establishments incorporate fruit trees in their landscaping. But in this case it makes even more sense as it’s free food for the animals.

3 Likes

Agreed. I always enjoy seeing edible plantings incorporated into landscaping, whether it be rosemary beside a mailbox post or the fig tree that the landscape architect slipped into the design for the coffee roasting company where I collect spent coffee grounds each week.

There was a loquat that was actually inside of one of aviary exhibits, but each person that I know in this area that grows loquat is still waiting for their bush to produce fruit.

I never even thought about Rosemary except as a dried spice I did not care for. The house the ladies are renting for a store has about a 4 foot tall bush that caught my nose instantly. I fiddled around the woody base and there is an old metal tag that says “Spice Island”. Which turns out to be some form of Rosemary.

Yes, it certainly is. When I did some research many years ago I discovered that there are three varieties of rosemary that are generally most prized for culinary uses, and “Spice Island” is one of them.

1 Like

Guess I will be getting cuttings to root. Because I love the fresh crushed scent.

Colonial Creek Farm (in Swainsboro, GA) doesn’t carry “Gorizia” any longer (plus their shipping season for 2024 is over), so I would recommend Richter’s Herbs in order to get that as well as the “Tuscan Blue” and “Spice Island” varieties. That is where I’ve sourced all of my plants.

1 Like

Pittsburgh and LA zoos also have solid edible landscaping.

2 Likes