Zucchini & Yellow Squash

I wanted to know If I can grow zucchini and yellow squash in the same hill (together)?What month of the year should I plant the seeds? (zone 6 middle of Ohio)

1 Like

There will be no problem planting these varieties together as long as you are not going to save seeds for next year. If you do save the seeds for the following year then you will end up with an unpredictable hybrid between the plants.

Wait until it gets warm before you plant them outside. I would suggest the first week in June.

1 Like

Thanks for the good advice…

1 Like

I’m going to be a little different–I plant as soon as I expect the last frost has probably happened. Definitely by early May I plant squash and melon seeds (if I plan to grow those this year…and I don’t). Zone 6b here.

1 Like

Does any one know if deer will eat the zucchini plants? We quit growing tomatoes because the deer keep eating them. The deer also eat the flowers next to the house.

Somewhat…depends on your deer population and what other sources of food are available.
they’ll eat pumpkins and squash…but they’ll eat apples and beans and even turnip greens more readily.

1 Like

And munch and scratch on delicious new apple trees …

1 Like