2016 graft thread

I should have braced them, especially with such strong growths… :pensive:

Bummer!! If that’s all you have of those varieties you might want to try budding.

1 Like

That’s painful to see and a feeling we know all to well. Sorry to see that. Started cutting my grafts off so the wind can’t catxh them and was very fortunate I did because a storm came through and broke another one of mine off recently. Saved the others just in time. Lost a lot to a bad storm earlier this year because the wind tore through here at around 60 mph.

1 Like

Sorry to see that, Tom. Need more Satsuma? let me know.

1 Like

One of my Beauty Plum grafts cracked a few weeks ago.There were maybe two or three fruit on the branch and then it rained,which weighed it down even more.I may have been able to save the branch by pushing back in place and hooking part of a coat hanger wire on a larger upper limb and also wrapping with some elastic tape.The fruit ripened and the leaves still look good.
The graft was first made about a year ago and looked fairly strong. Brady

6 Likes

Good save Brady that looks like it worked out good.

1 Like

Plums don’t weigh so much, it’s tempting to let a graft bear early

I tried my hand at t-budding on Tuesday, with rubber bands and electrical tape sticky side out. I went out to check them this morning and the petioles had broken off by themselves during the heavy rain last night. I’m taking that as a good sign!

I’m going to give them two or three weeks then unwrap the tape and half break each of the branches above the graft.

1 Like

It’s a shame to loose a good graft that way. This year i neglected and forgot a t-bud peach graft i did last year and it had too many peaches in the new branch. As a result the wind and the weight broke it off. Fortunately i have other grafts of the same variety.

You can try fruitnut advice and try some t-buds with the buds from the broken branch. They will probably take.

Last year a pear graft broke off in June with the wind. I noticed it in less than a day, so i tried regrafting the green portion of the branch (removing almost all the leaves) and i did a whip and tongue. It took fine and later that year i had a new branch. But if it was a peach branch i would try budding instead.

3 Likes

Mamuang,

I shared 1/2 of what you sent me with my brother so it was a one shot deal. I was so sure of such lush growth and swam in success that I over-looked its immature heals. I should have braced it like what I did with other successful grafts from last year’s attempt. Another lesson learned!

In my last ditch effort, I cut the Satsuma branch close to the broken graft. There’s still some tissue attach to the scion so hopefully it survive my homemade disaster. I’ll find out soon if I need scions next year. On the other hand, the Elephant Heart graft was “cleanly” broke off. I should have cut some buds and re-graft it immediately but was busied heading out for work so I did not. By the time I got back home, the broken branch was totally wilt! Another lesson learned!

Thank you for the offer… I’ll contact you for next year scion woods once I know what I need…

Tom

Anytime… J. plums grow like weeds.

1 Like

They certainly do- I’ve been doing a survey on my grafts over the last week, including measuring the growth. A Kahinta graft (pictured in post #452) has put on the most growth of anything this year, with 72" (3 shoots of 32", 27", and 13"). That’s 6 feet of growth!

One interesting thing I’ve noticed is that the Euro grafts I made onto Asian plums have grown a lot more than the Euro grafts onto Euro plums.

Euro on Asian rootstock (mismatched)- averaged 25" of growth
Euro on Euro- best growth was 25", with an average of 10"

I only did 5 of the Euro scion on Asian tree, as I wasn’t sure it would work, but so far it seems pretty good. They all took as well, while some of the Asian grafts failed.

3 Likes

For me, Beauty grafted on Shiro takes the cake. Two shoots are growing from one scionwood, one is 45" and the other is 30" long.

Laroda finished second with two 30" shoot from one scionwood.

I have noticed that anything that were grafted on water sprout grow like weed. This include cheery scoinwood grafted on cherry water sprouts.

Shiro also won the longest new shoot award. I just trimmed off one shoot which measured at 60" long. There are many shoots on the tree that are almost as long.

I had a huge waterspout from the previous year on one of my old trunks, and the scions I put on that one this spring are growing with 2-3x the vigor of the bigger trunk grafts on the same tree. It surprised me how the small trunk would have so much vigor. It has about 5’ of growth already with a great deal of branching. And its good that one is doing well, the deer munched down on the other trunk I grafted the same variety to.

These two Sweet Sixteen chip buds have taken, but they never grew. Gently scratching at the buds w my fingertip, I see they are still green. I’ve lost patience w them. Today I watered the base, then applied some dilluted miracle-gro.

3 Likes

I used to get rid of all water sprouts by summer pruning. Now, I keep those with good locations (on the trees) for next year’s grafting. I also remove some in the winter for scion exchanges. they probably will be the best scionwood, too.

Is there green growth above them? It sort of appears so since the trunk/branch continues on up past the buds. If so, the auxin produced above the buds is probably holding the buds dormant.

4 Likes

Somewhere on either this board or the old one there’s an exchange regarding blind buds. I searched and couldn’t find it, but I did run across this one:

2 Likes

Yes.

Avocado grafts: Pinkerton (left) and Hass, both with cleft graft on June 15. Root stock is just from seedlings from varied sources. Pictured in their shady area with greenhouse bag (LA Times Sunday).

1 Like