2016 graft thread

That’s an interesting terrace you have. Did you make it yourself? Do you plan on growing in the separate spaces or is that for air pruning?

Hello John, It’s a raised planter about 8’ across that now has a Hass avocado growing in it. I’ve moved the grafted plants under its shade as we’re having 100 degree/breezy/dry weather now. They’re also up off ground so my dogs don’t pee on them, or knock them over running around the planter chasing each other.

1 Like

Grafted on 5-21-16. As of today.

2 months… I made 6 grafts… Rind grafting on persimmon. (4 of the grafts were on persimmon, this one is Nikita’s Gift) 2 were on pawpaw) this one is the only 1 I’ve seen growth on

And to think I had pretty much given up.

Scott

2 Likes

Nice one!

Scott,
I grafted Tam Kam on my Nikita’s Gift on 5/25/16. It sat there for 7 full weeks before I saw two green buds starting to push.

I also grafted another Saijo on NG. That one took in about a month.

Both were cleft grafts. Both scionwood were very healthy. This is my first time grafting persimmon. Boy, it has taken so long time for grafts to take.

1 Like

Months after being placed, my Sweet Sixteen chip-buds are finally growing!

I had to take the tape off of them. Somehow, the tape may have been too close to allow the buds to grow, prior to its removal. The extra water and fertilizer I gave the host tree probably helped too.

4 Likes

So I’m bending the grafted limbs I made this spring onto this Ark Black apple…not because I necessarily want them to fruit, but to encourage flowering for pollination purposes. The varieties I grafted on (Gr Smith, Fuji, Gala) all took and grew well and looked healthy enough to gently point downward. We’ll see. The graft points are indicated by red arrows.

4 Likes

that’s a lot of pine cones, looks cool and cools the soil, mi gusta :sunglasses:

Haha. I paid the grandkids to pick them up and that is where we decided to dump them.

I’ve got a question I haven’t seen asked. What do you guys do with your failed grafts? Do you snip them as soon as you know they’ve failed, or do you leave them on? Today I was making permanent aluminum tags for my successful grafts in addition to removing the splicing tape I used. I came across several failed grafts. Guess I should probably snip them back to clean wood. What do you guys do.

It’s better to cut them off sooner than later. I have had a couple grow into the tree. I’m not a fan of going back and looking at my failures. Think I’m going to start doing more t-budding next year so that I won’t see the failed grafts as failures rather trees I need to t-bud to still get a successful graft on the trees the same year.

1 Like

Not heard of this happening. Does this have a name I can Google?
Please, tell all, spare none.

To me, as painful as it might be, if I don’t look closely at these and figure out the ‘why’, I may waste time doing it again. And the joy of figuring out why I screwed up, is worth it.

Anne,
That stub which is the attempted graft stays there and if you use plastic grafting tape it grows right into the tree just like fence wire does over time.

1 Like

Aaaaahhh. Gotcha. The tape I use (parafilm and self stick electrical) seems to crack and bust all by itself - pretty much when no longer needed. Not a problem here I guess since we don’t get the wind velocities that other folks on this forum seem to frequently encounter…well, unless a hurricane comes our way. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I tried some budding today and I do t why I waste my time. I think I end up doing more harm than good.

I am averaging around 98% success rate on apple bench grafts and only slightly lower with pears bench grafts. I have been less successful bud grafting pears, any graft on peach and failed at top working red mulberry over to weeping mulberry. Here is a picture of the apple nursery:

10 Likes

What you going to do with them?

Plant orchards and sell them.

4 Likes

Great looking apple trees this year! My t-buds took one month to sprout out so maybe there is a chance they will still succeed on the trees you did.

I only found 1 T bud take out of 100. Im glad you had better success.