2017 Grafting Thread

AWESOME!!

Thought I’d jump to the end of this thread and there are your neatly put together block of potted apple grafts. Just awesome, man.

Dax

Thanks! I keep telling myself to document more events to share but I rarely make the trip back into the house to get a camera and before you know it the day is done and I’m ready for bed.

2 of my 3 persimmon on Diospyros lotus grafting attempts around March 10th.

The failed one was grafted on a seedling that was too thin, less than 4 mm.

This one is a cleft graft on a root-less sucker transplanted last october, the scion bud broke a month ago, but is still stalling.

This one is a W&T graft on a second year seedling, it seems a success :smile:

A couple plum grafts look to be doing well so far.

My Goldrush scion is growing like gangbusters. It is already a feathered whip. I removed the tape today and staked it since it is growing so vigorously.

Mulberry grafts mostly done on March 8th. Whip & Tongue.

Apricot on apricot seedling and the union detail.

another apricot on apricot grown tree

apricot on peach :slight_smile:

A celeste fig branch on a brown turkey rootstock. There is a chopstick tied by masking tape as a support.

I would like to know what you think of it. I grafted 4 Frostbite this spring, I think I have 2 takes so far.

I’m learning new things about grafting pears all the time. Some pears graft much easier than others and some rootstocks work much better than others. My standout grafts for the year would be Charles Harris for it’s vigorous growth and ease of grafting and several Canadian pears for their ease of grafting and possible interstem properties. Tried many experimental grafts this year mostly with interstems and very difficult to grow fruit such as Comice, forelle, abate fetel and many other notoriously difficult to grow pears. Most information about pears is not out there so who could know Ayer is not the easiest pear to graft? I think I got about 50% takes on callery which is surprising since the same gentleman developed Douglas which is very easy to graft. It could be the problem was I was using all fruit bud wood which is never good. The scions that are covered with fruit buds typically use energy to bloom which is a waste and a problem.

You knocked it out of the park. I’m regrafting pecans. I don’t know what’s going on but John Brittain at Nolin River Nursery told me to use a 2-3" piece of scionwood with two buds on it. I did. Those grafts all went into peat moss that was slightly dampness I would prepare for any medium. Two entire tubs of grafts had all failures. The tub prior with scions containing 2-3 bud “sections” and in pro-mix did great. Now something is screwy here. I used my grafting tool on all three tubs. It has to be the short scions. John works in the field and doesn’t bench graft. There has to be a difference. So now I’m back to regrafting anything that might go. I’m going three or four flap grafts on pencil thickness to 1/2" or slightly larger. It’s kind of slow but it’s so late, other than bark grafts, 3-4 flaps are about the only thing that may take. We’ll see. This has been a crazy year.

Dax

Yep this year has indeed been crazy. I learned a lot of new things by making stupid mistakes. I dream of a 100% take rate on all grafts someday. I haven’t grafted any nuts yet so it’s nice to see I’ll have lots of information to work with when I do. I had lots of grafts fail this year where I had to scratch my head and wonder, ‘what the heck’. I got the forensics kit out so maybe I can solve what happened.

Oh well, every non-take is a future mistake we will never make again! Keep us posted on how the re-grafted pecans do. Remember, I’m pulling for ya. We’re all in this together!

Appreciate it, appreciate it!

Dax

I noticed some people have unwrapped their grafts already. I was going to let mine stay wrapped until fall, but maybe I should do it sooner? Anything specific I should look for?

They couldn’t wait for Christmas.

I’m in zone 5b IL and I will wait until the middle of July for anything grafted up until April.

My friend that’s been grafting for 40-years leaves electrical tape on for years and eventually the tree pushes it off. Myself, I’m a perfectionist of some sort and that to me is messy work. He laughs at me and I laugh at him. That’s how that goes.

Dax

Started unwrapping my grafts the following year. Grasshoppers girdled about 100 grafts once after I unwrapped them in July or August. Never forgot it so now I try to wait until the following spring if I can.

You be the judge. Conditions of growth, weather and vigor all determine when I cut the wrapping. Some this year will probably be cut the end of this month, some others not until 1 August, if they look as though they are ready.
Oh, and what you used! If you used electrician’s tape be careful to cut it but not strip it - takes fresh bark off in my conditions.
Your mileage may vary.

OOPS, meant to address that to VSOP.

I think 1-year is a good idea, Clark.

People setting bark grafts or something with a great deal of push should definitely leave on their tape for a full year. And for certain at year two a solid stake needs to be added to keep that graft’s growth from blowing out. I have a hickory putting on three feet of growth this year from a scion the size of a pencil two-years ago when it was grafted. No stake and that means trouble. Plus you’re keeping the ‘excurrent’ form. Probably the wrong word but I have an oak that grows excurrent so a nice & straight trunk is a must with this radical growth that occurs when a large tree and a small scion intersect, lol. That was a bunch of babble…

Even bench grafts onto 1/4" caliper stock I see absolutely good reason to leave on the tape or rubber bands and to reapply rubber bands when they fall apart from sun. I reapply budding strips all the time.

I got into the habit with conifers to remove the bud strips in July. I realize now I am reapplying bud strips on most of my grafts now-a-days until the following year. Took me far too long to get my point across but, I did it darn it all.

Oh and I just started using electricians tape this yar. I love it.

Dax
@NuttingBumpus good comments.

Someone​ mentioned triple grafting and out of curiosity I decided to try it. I took 3 different apple scion, grafted them in series to each other and to a single rootstock. All are growing. I may try it with peaches although I have trouble getting a single peach graft to take.