2018 Grafting Thread

If anybody is interested, gora (гора) means mountain. The names of these hybrid persimmon varieties are given after these mountains: Roman-Kosh (Роман-Кош, the highest peak of Crimean Mountains), Mount Rogers (the highest point in Virginia, honoring the “virginiana” parentage of the hybrid), and Hoverla (Говерла, the highest mountain in Ukraine, located in Carpathian Mountains).

2 Likes

It’s exact. Some people even think that there is 4 gora because the same one uses hoverla or goverla for the translation

The red leaves are those of gora roman kosh. Around NB2.

2 Likes

I think these foreign hybrids are promising, as I believe I read here on the forum that the fruit size is larger. They look promising for commercial fruit growers in northern climates. Would love to see these varieties in the U.S.

I agree. We do have Cliff, he is hard at work. Keep an eye on his site http://www.nuttrees.net

Much more work seems to be done across the pond, but that’s just a guess.

2 Likes

I liked both Kaki and D.V. I liked to eat the Fuyu and Rojo Brillante from the Asian market in the fall when the fruits just about to turn soft. They are real sweet at this stage. H-118 is large around 2.25 inches just like a small fuyu. I loved Prok due to real large oval shape and more fragrance than Kaki and self fruitful. It is a must have D V.

Tony

3 Likes

I check out cliff’s persimmon offerings often. I just don’t have the space for it all… he does some good work.

2 Likes

My last year’s Prok graft (got wood from you) has lots of fruit forming, not sure how many or any will stay. All my last years Tam Kam dropped. This year, I graft many american and hybrid ones and most of them took. The future looks good.

1 Like

Dr Kazas looks to me like pure virginiana. Hybrids look different. By the way aren’t we getting slightly off topic ?

We are off more than slightly, yes. I’ll finish up with the math for Dr. Kazas that @SMC_zone6 did and say two more comments.

NG: 3/4 kaki + 1/4 American or 75% kaki

Dr. Kazas: (3/4 kaki + 1/4 American) + 4/4 American = 3/8 kaki or 37.5% kaki

@tonyOmahaz5 really likes ‘Nikita’s Gift’ and what caught my attention is he said it is “firm.” This was during messaging with Tony and Steven.

I sent those guys seeds off Dr. Kazas to grow out. This would be the math:
open pollinated by American: 3/8 kaki (see above) + 8/8 American = 3/16 kaki or 18.75% kaki

To get a firm persimmon would be great. I’m hoping it happens. And Tony said something that really knocked my socks off. He said to, ‘grow the seed(s) and then graft from a really young seedling to an established tree…’ brilliant to me and I’m sure to others if they take a moment to think about it!

Dax

4 Likes

These persimmon posts are very interesting.

I wish you guys could move them to a persimmon thread so more persimmon-interested folks could learn from your knowledge. Hiding this information in the Grafting thread is unfortunate.

5 Likes

I did as best as I could to persuade others to move the discussion. Truly, I did.

Dax

3 Likes

Thanks for those seeds, Dax. I planted them outside this fall and only a few came up, but hopefully those are the most cold hardy of the bunch. They’re growing out along with about a dozen older hybrids that I’m hoping to taste in the near future.

1 Like

I notice your T-92 Hican is very vigorous. Is it still growing? Same here, the graft started growing 2-3 weeks before all the other grafts. Usually my Hickory and Hican grafts grow a few inches the first year and then grow several feet the next year.

Hello There,
I am very interested in learning more about persimmons. However, I think that this Grafting Thread is not a place to discuss persimmon at length. I’d like to respectfully ask people, who would like to respond to persimmon questions, to choose one of several persimmon threads to do so, please.

For those who don’t know how to tag a member for his/her attention, please use a symbol @ + his/her handle name. For example @Barkslip, @SMC_zone6, @Harbin, @RUenvsci, @tonyOmahaz5, @Arhus76, @wildernesssoul so on and so forth. They will be alerted that you tag them.

Usually, we veer off the original post once in a while and get back on track. This time, it seems this grafting thread has been hijacked so some time now. Let’s give this thread back to those wanting to talk about grafting, please…

Those of us, including me, who want to learn more about persimmon will follow you, persimmon enthusiasts, to whichever persimmon threads you will post.

Thank you very much.

3 Likes

I want to concur with @mamuang in her sentiments. Her perfectly worded statement says it better than I could so I’ll leave it at that.

I agree to discuss. But if it’s 1 or 2 we will quickly have the round the the question.

Here is an example of two extreme scionwoods used this year.

Result of the big stick, 60 cm for the moment (Miss Kim).

@Arhus76, it isn’t clear to me what you mean by that - could you please explain?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Have the maximum of people talking, not just readers seeking information.

@Arhus76, I’m sorry, I still do not understand. I don’t see an argument, just a simply request that people stay on topic on a given thread. I feel that while it is perfectly acceptable to bring in a minor diversion from time to time it is less so when the diversion begins to become the new topic. In that case the heading of the thread no longer applies, and people who were expecting to be able to find a discussion on a given subject instead find themselves reading through unrelated information about some other subject. And in fact the forum rules specifically discourage that from happening, as you can see in the quote below:

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
Don’t post no-content replies.
Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.<<

I found this by clicking on the three horizontal bars next to my picture, and then clicking on the “About” heading.

Thanks.

1 Like