2018 Grafting Thread

@marknmt he’s from a country with a difficult language to convert to English using Google translator. He’s trying. And I think he did change the subject by showing a cut on a thick piece of wood and the thin piece of wood followed up with a successful graft-photo. Cheers.

@wildernesssoul check this thing out now.

T-92 hican

Dax

1 Like

Yes, he is trying to get back on topic. Dax is spot on. He is discussing the giant variation in scion wood sizes that can be successfully grafted. I like bark or cleft grafting the tiny stuff @Arhus76 .

1 Like

I apologize if de don’t understand each other.

Yes I fed the subject at the same time as I answered.
I showed grafts of the year.

Sorry

2 Likes

You’re doing not a thing wrong. We’ll talk persimmons elsewhere.

Everyone is then happy.

Dax

1 Like

You have extremely high success rates, what is your preferred method for very rare and limited scion wood? Your photos look like bark grafts, but I’m just guessing?

1 Like

I wanted to show that we can graft very big like very small scionwood.
The first time I saw toothpicks coming in the mail I made a funny face. Well it works very well too. We adapt the graft.

I use 4 methods of grafting on persimmon.
But I do not expérience on Virginiana. From what I discovered this year, virginiana don’t like the method I use on lotus or khaki.
I often transplant a bud, I save scionwoods. But on virginiana it’s better to graft a piece of wood.

1 Like

6 Likes

No need to apologize- I’m just glad to have gained some understanding! Thanks to you, as well as @Barkslip and @BambooMan for clarifying it for me. Sometimes I overlook the fact that we live in a big, big world. And yes, please do keep showing your grafts and methods.

5 Likes

Wooden stick graft on the side. Variety Pakistan seedless.

I don’t know if de can see well. The leafless stem is the rootstock.

2 Likes

Major Hybrid Vigor in that cross.

1 Like

Thank you all for trading scions with me. Your generosity is appreciated.As the spring grafting comes to the end, I thought it is a good time to conclude result of my spring graft. All done in cleft method.

J Pears :
13/13 success rate is 100%.
Among these 13 grafts, 3 grafts were done in mid April when the temperature was in 60/50 for 3 days.
10 grafts were done on March 3 when temperature was range from mid 40s/mid 30s for 3days

Apricot: 6/10, 60% success rate . Grafted on May 4 when temperature range from mid70s/low60s for 3days.

Cherry 3/3, 100% success rate. Grafted on May 3 when temperature range from mid 70/low 60 for 3days.

Mulberry. 3/3, 100% success rate. Grafted on May 15 when temperature was in upper 70s for at least 3 days.

Peaches/nect 13/18 about 72% succss rate. Grafted on May 4 when the temperature was in mid 70s for 3 days.

J.Plum/pluot 18/21 , about 85% success rate. Grafted on May 3 when temperature was in mid 70s for at least 3 days

I think wrap scions with parafilm definitely increased success rate of early grafting. Wrapping scions with aluminum foil definitely increased success rate of late grafting. Some of my grafting failure due to, 1)scion wood not in good quality, this mostly happened in peach scions. 2) take off the aluminum foil too soon, this happened in all late grafting. 3) grafting techniques need to further polish and practice to better line up and the cut grafting surface in the same plane

8 Likes

Congrats, Annie. What a success!!!.
I grafted plums, pears, apples, cherries, jujubes, persimmons based on the growing stages of the said trees (sap is flowing, leaves are pushing). Only peaches that I care to wait for consistent higer temp.

All those grafts have been successful except for peaches (only 50% success this year).

4 Likes

Thanks. I learned a lot of collective knowledge from members of this forum. I am truly grateful thst all levels of experty exist here and enjoy free shared experiences in this community which makes fruit grow much more easy, fun, and enjoyable

3 Likes

Very impressive results. I only got 2 takes out of 7 for apricot.

1 Like

Congratulations on your high rate of success. 72% success on peaches is impressive. Also the quantity of grafts is surprising for a Chicago yard. I don’t think I could find that many branches to graft to or even find the energy.

this was my first year grafting. I had 5/5 takes of hosui Asian pear on OHF97. Unfortunately, all 5 picked up a fungal infection, and by the time I realized what was going on, I was only able to save two (spraying copper spray saved them). So, lesson learned for me- spray newly grafted trees as a preventive measure…

1 Like

these all grafted on three mature peach trees and four peach seeding,3rd leaf.couple of j plum and three Asian pear trees. Still have room for next year.

apricot take rate is in the neighborhood of J plum to me,as long as the tree/rootstock is in good condition and scion is in good condition, the take rate is relatively high. I also found that the take rate is higher when grafted on red leaf plum for some reason. I grafted Peach/Nect , apricot, J. and E. plum, pluots, Mirabelle on red leaf plum. All take except Mirabelle de Nancy

5 Likes

Damson plum grafted to native plum rootstock. I learned after the fact that Pawnee pecan may not make it in zone 5 but I didn’t do my due diligence when ordering the scion so here it is anyway. Both rootstocks were well established so growth is really taking off.

IMG950226IMG950229

10 Likes

Gonna have to try that.