2019 Grafting Thread

I’m not sure it supposed to work like that?

2 Likes

I’m buying a chainsaw this Fall. Guess what I ask?

2 Likes

What were the varieties?

Tony

2 Likes

I stuck a bunch of these on there as a scionwood bank. Tree’s a peach.

Muir Beauty plum
Sultry Sunset plumcot
Satsuma plum
Baby Crawford peach
Sprinter Korean peach
Indian Blood Free peach
Sprite pluot
Broken Heart plum Clayton peach
and a few others.

Lots of good stuff as you see and a few (Sprite, Sprinter,) that are pretty rare in people’s gardens.

Dax

2 Likes

I have a few trees that look similar .
I now believe it’s good to leave substantial nurse branches , of the original tree,
Live and learn.

3 Likes

Here is my Asian pear graft onto ts hardy. It put on a lot of growth and completely healed at the graft point although it is somewhat lumpy.

has

12 Likes

In short season zone, 5b. I haven’t pruned out any of the extra growth in my pear grafts. Question is, at this point am I pretty much best off leaving everything be and pruning this winter? I’m not sure a want to encourage more growth by pruning if it won’t harden by fall.

1 Like

I wait until spring in order to assess and account for winter kill.

4 Likes

I grafted these a month ago. I have been bringing them in at night the last week to help them along. Nanaimo peach on Prunus americana rootstock.

12 Likes

How does one prepare scions for shipping?

This is what I do:
Collect scionwood (last year’s growth) during dormancy
Cut them into 6 - 8 “ length, at least 3-4 buds per stick
Seal exposed ends (both ends) with wax or in my case parafilm wrapping.
I sometimes add lightly damp paper towel with scionwood in a plastic bag (a gallon size) and zip the bag.
Put the plastc bag in a large, bubbled envelop

Others do t ther way.

1 Like

Much appreciated to both. Thanks!

1 Like

Here is my redskin peach graft done in the spring of 2019. I left the tape on ( usually I can’t help but pull the tape off too early) until this last Saturday. All healed up here and ready to take off growing!

11 Likes

I see some who wrap or coat their grafts from top to bottom and others who just wrap the union. I think I can understand the pros and cons to both, but which is preferred for the best outcome?

3 Likes

I probably painted a mixture of elmers glue and water on that peach graft when I put it on to help hold in the moisture

Good idea!

1 Like

Not mine, I am sure some knowledgeable person here turned me onto that process. It washes off some in the rain but you can reapply and if it rains very much the scion doesn’t dry out much anyway

I just purchased one of those test color jars of interior paint at Lowe’s which was a “return” and was being sold for $1.25 (about a pint). I mixed that with wood glue and used it for grafting seal. Worked quite well.

1 Like

With all the generosity of fellow grafters, I have begun to draw this task to a close. It feels like I have been outside every chance I can get for about 3 weeks now. I think all my peaches, nectarines, figs, and plums have about 5-10 grafts apiece! Toward the end, I got braver and tried some new techniques. I thought bud grafting was the most fun! It seems as though I used a different type of tag each day. I used hanging tags, stretchy tape, painters tape, and drawings. Some grafts were wrapped to the end, and others just over the graft. With the help of my hubby I finally got the nerve to cut down a really big, old apricot tree which had pushed any possible fruit so high it was never reachable or able to be cared for. I tapped some grafts into stump cuts and sealed with wax. I have learned a lot!

PS forgot to add that In addition to the tremendous amount of wonderful scions for fruit I knew, @Bradybb sent me some gage scions. Had to look it up because didnt know what kind of tree to graft to. Sounds like an awesome fruit!

–Dont ask for more than you can accomplish. I was out for about 4 hours per day or more literally for 3 weeks trying to get the scions grafted. I figured if someone took the time to cut and identify all of those scions, it was up to me to try and use as many as possible, and certainly one of each variety. I didnt consider how much time it would take, how it stretch my skill level to the max, and how it might take a toll on my back.
–Consider asking for less scions but more of the specific varieties that I am interested in
–Try and pay back by holding on pruning until scion cutting time
–Try practicing and improving my skills
–Dont be afraid to try new types of grafts and different knives and tools until I find what works for me. I did note some differences in parafilm that made one easier than another
–Try out fruits that I have never had before. This was my year for figs! I was able to get a celeste to put out a fig just a week after I bought it in one of those Lowes boxes.
–Share the love! I’m taking in fruits and seedlings to work for others. I sent my first cuttings this year.
I love this thread! Thanks to all

13 Likes

First fruit of Yulu fragrance pear. Just like store bought. Thanks @Sophia2017

9 Likes