2020 pick of the day

Desert King Figs, 21 brix
Geo Pride pluot, purple, only one, slightly overripe, 16.5 brix
Frost Peaches, small, good texture, insipid, didn’t measure brix
Splash Pluot - 21 brix and still more sour than sweet, getting better daily. Can’t convince my wife they are sweeter than the Geo Pride :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Splash Pluot,about 18 brix,with a sour skin,that I kind of like.bb

15 Likes

Some people like me sense the sourness even in a tiny amount, and it will become the predominant taste, negating any sweetness. My husband and his siblings have exactly the opposite. I learned not to trust their comment on fruits. They can eat fruits sour almost like lemon to me, and happily proclaim how sweet they are. I always have to ask him if it is sweet to him, or to me, before I eat. However, any fruits with a tiny bitterness will turn him off, while taste perfectly fine to me. That is why I don’t even think about getting the brix refractometer. No one needs to win the argument. :wink:

6 Likes

Really nice sized figs! Congrats

3 Likes

What kind of dehydrator do your have if you don’t mind me asking for? We’re thinking on buying one but do not know which one.

2 Likes

I use this for many years and never have problems.

Recommend me a dehydrator

Fruit in the Kitchen

Jun '19 - I got the older version of the 5 tray 304 stainless steel dehydrator from The Sausage Maker. It has the temperature controller and a timer. At that time I paid extra to upgrade from the chrome plated trays that would r…

2 Likes

Precoce du Trevoux pears:

Unkown Reine Claude/ gage plum:

19 Likes

You are like my wife and I am like your husband. I’m very sensitive to bitter flavors some people don’t even seem to notice. Sometimes I can get used to it.

Splash pluots have some bitterness, especially before they are ripe. That’s on top of the sour skin, which I like when the flesh is sweet enough.

3 Likes

We had Splash from 6/9 to 6/30, about two weeks earlier than last year. There was only a few dozens so I let him have most of the Splash, because at the same time Geo Pride and Donut peach were much sweeter. :wink:
That is the reason we have at least two trees of any variety, mostly in containers lately, so he can have the early sour fruits and I will have some sweet ones later. The only exception is Burgundy in the ground. It is loaded every year. He won’t eat them if there is something else, because the taste is mild and the skin is not sour.

3 Likes

21 Likes

A heat wave is coming soon so we picked all the fruits that seemed ripe enough. Everything is early this year.

Flavor Punch pluerry: very good as the name describes

Candy Heart pluerry: very sweet but not much flavor, I like Flavor Punch better

Arctic Queen nectarine

Laroda plum: very good

Flavor King, Emerald Drop, Flavor Grenade, Brown Turkey, one Catalina plum

19 Likes

What’s your top plum/pluots/pIuerries?. Right now I have Flavor king, weeping Santa Rosa, Flavor supreme as my top 3. I would say sweet treat pluerry is 4, but then I am not sure.

1 Like

My top 3 pluots are Flavor King, Splash and Flavor Grenade, The taste changes as ripening and will always please someone in my big family, depending on their preference. Flavor Grenade needs to have no green color to be edible. I don’t have Flavor Supreme.
The top plum is Emerald Beaut, the fruit from my tree is not the same as the one from the farmer’s market up north. It is like a very big and good Emerald Drop pluot: crunchy, balance sweet and sour. Weeping Santa Rosa and Santa Rosa are good and flavorful when ripe, otherwise it is just ok at my place. They drop and split on the ground, then turn sour. I have to bag them on the tree, too much work, and the crop is not reliable each year.
Pluerry: if you like/tolerate sour skin Sugar Twist is the best. Otherwise I like Flavor Punch then Candy Heart. Sweet Treat sets a lot of fruits but the flavor is mild and turns bland if stay on the tree pass the crunchy stage.

7 Likes

My fruits are ripe later this year. The longer they are hanging on the tree the more I worry about them to be harvested by raccoons. So I picked some reliance peach off plus some plum/pluots that feel soft when given a gentle squeeze.

20 Likes

How do you like the Lee x Nova ?

1 Like

Please forgive my ignorance.
What is “the Lee x Nova”?

aap posted a pic of one in the first few posts in this thread. Its a mandarin cross between the Lee and Nova. I have a tree but no fruit yet.

1 Like

If you have question about a post, you get to that post and click the “Reply” arrow at the bottom. The poster, @aap in this case, will get notification of your question on his/her email, and will reply when they have time. I will ask him to reply to you this time but you should try it too.
Hope this help.

1 Like

Please reply to post # 262. Thank you.

I think its funny you say it that way. English can be imprecise.

To me, Splash is sweeter than Geo Pride because it has more sugar. This year 21 brix and gaining, vs 16.5 I think.

Like Lemon Heads are sweeter than watermelon :slight_smile:

Sometimes, or to some people, sweet describes how much sugar flavor whereas for others it describes the balance of sugar to other things.

2 Likes