2021 Buds, Flowers and Fruit!

Wild Cherry

Unknown Asian Plum

9 Likes

Oro Blanco citrus is a very shy tree. At the outset it looks like a disappointing spring with no blooms.

Just look under the canopy and there are plenty of jasmine smelling blossoms.

10 Likes

Honeycrisp

9 Likes

Here is Tomcot as of 4/8, getting ready to pop!

11 Likes

I am not good at citrus, are these flowers going to bear fruits hopefully, or just flowers?

They’ll bear fruits :slight_smile: at least thats what I’m hoping. I’ve noticed that pomelos/grapefruits in particular tend to bloom and bear fruits hidden inside their tree canopy.

3 Likes

Juliet

Carmine jewell

Scarlett Prince Peach

Numerous pears

16 Likes

David,
May you have a very fruitful year.

4 Likes

Thanks mamuang! I’m hopeful. Apples, peaches, pears, cherries, and a few varieties of plum are looking good. Cots and most plums froze out. I have a little bit of that excited feeling that I used to have when I started the orchard. Still several weeks before I can breath easy. But I have some hope now. I even reread some of the spray schedules in order to be prepared over the next few weeks.

6 Likes

I was checking my trees this evening. Looks like a few apples and a couple pear blooms are open. Unfortunately, it looks like quite a few of my peach blossoms have either fallen off and/or shriveled up, probably as a result of last week hard freezes. So, I’ll be lucky to get many peaches this year. Guess I’ll take this one cold spell if it means getting some of one fruit and not much of others.

The first blooms of in-ground fruit trees in my yard has consistently be apricots.

13 Likes

The very warm weather pushed everything along and most trees are blooming all at once in my yard.

Intrepid peach

Jilin pear

Korean Giant pear

Okolo pear

Hosui pear

Shin Li pear

Ruby Queen plum

Drippin Honey pear

Some fig flowers :upside_down_face: They are putting on a decent amount of breba despite all the pruning I did to share cuttings. Just various figs: Kesariani, Genovese Nero, Pratt Street.

16 Likes

Your intrepid is loaded. It looks like you’re gonna have great peach year.
How does your jilin pear taste like? It seems little bit bud tender so mine always zapped by later spring frost and have not had chance to taste one.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
What is your opinion of the Ruby Queen Plum fruit?

I haven’t tried Jilin yet. The blooms got completely killed last year during a hard freeze. You are right about it being frost sensitive. Those flowers look pretty but a lot of them are damaged in the center from last week’s freeze. The neighboring Shin Li tree has very minimal damage on the other hand. I would have thought a pear from Jilin would have been more freeze tolerant since it’s a province with cold weather from my understanding. Some of the flowers still look good so maybe this year.

@Bradybb I only got to taste 2 last year and I don’t think they were picked at full maturity. They were hard and still sour. Hopefully we don’t more freezes and there is goof fruit set this year.

2 Likes

Greetings Andrew! Some of your plum (and probably the other fruits too) branches are too long. You should head them leaving 25-50% of the current length, so that you get stronger scaffolds for a stronger tree in a few years. Also, once you get sizable fruits on them, they may break under fruit weight.

Hi Ahmad,

I actually pruned all the new growth from last year off the plum! All you see there was growth from 2 years ago. The trees grow so vigorously in my yard. I’ll prune more off once I see some fruit forming.

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee Your pears trees are looking very promising. Are they producing ? I have two pears tree and added some grafts on them last year most took. Will post pictures in a day or two.

2 Likes

Yes, they should produce a decent crop this year. A late freeze destroyed most of the fruit last year. I will take pictures of the developing fruit in a few weeks if the weather continues to cooperate. Many flying insects were observed pollinating them today. I have a mason bee house to help.

4 Likes

I have two pears Ayers and Moonglow and some grafts on them.
Mid March Ayers and Moonglow

Ayers Pears

Moonglow

Chojuro ( Grafted last Year on Moonglow)

12 Likes