2021 Buds, Flowers and Fruit!

Finally…
got to eat some RIPE Pixwell gooseberries. Not sour at all if fully ripe.

5 Likes

21 Likes

Too much rain recently. Picked cherries off the tree before they are gettung mold

14 Likes

I wish you could. I think powders are ok, because by error I shipped a bag of Surround to France. They thought it was flour. But no liquids. I am trying to get a few things from England. Very difficult.

2 Likes

Amazing photos! Great looking fruit and veggies! Did you say that you don’t use spray? I cannot fathom how we can live in the same state and you get fruit that clean without spray. If I didn’t spray - especially peaches- I wouldn’t have a single one make it to that size without PC/OFM scaring them ALL up and causing them to drop early. ANd if one of two did make it to maturity brown rot would absolutely take them out. So either you’re doing some spray or you have a secret you need to share with the rest of us ! :slight_smile: Nice job either way.

2 Likes

Mac as in McIntosh? McIntosh is a fall apple and it’s not striped. I think you have something else there.

1 Like

Wow, truly beautiful. So well grown. Chapeau!

1 Like

My ground cherries!

5 Likes

been eating some off mine but they arent nearly as big as yours.

2 Likes

I’ve heard Chilean guava doesn’t like heat, but mine seems ok after the third day of record breaking heat… It keeps opening more of its beautiful little flowers:

10 Likes

Those are lovely? Is it in a pot or in the ground?

1 Like

In a raised bed next to my stone patio in the middle of the sunniest part of the yard:

It was there for the big snowfall:

It’s been in the ground since November, hadn’t flowered in the pot before.

6 Likes

Era apple: I was going to thin the fruitlets but after trying one I will keep them and see how they survive the summer. In the worst case, I will use them in salad. The fruit was so pretty inside with pink seeds, and tasted good, lightly tangy and only a little bitter at the skin.

Ghost apples, Dapple Supreme, the big one, is ripe, soft and very sweet inside, but the skin is still sour.

Donut peach: with the soaps on the fence, the shiny tapes, and the pinwheels, we only lose one or two each day to the animals, I think the small lizards like them too.

The jam has figs, some leftover peaches, not Donut, and water, with no added sugar

9 Likes

Nice, I bought 2 a long time ago but they succumbed after cold winter. I’ve yet to taste one.

1 Like

Nice collection for fruit, TN hunter.

But, whatever it is, your apple is not a McIntosh.

@BlueBerry — well that would not surprise me too much… bought it from the same place (Starks Bro) that I got my Reliance peach… that has the extra showy blossoms… and so… per others here… it is not a Reliance.

What luck.

TNHunter

@thecityman — it is true… absolutely no spray of any kind on my food.

It is very disappointing how many peaches I have to toss… but as you can see I do get some good ones… and appreciate them very much.

TNHunter

2 Likes

I don’t know if it could possibly be “Early McIntosh” as I’ve never seen one…I don’t have a positive ID for you, but …

I have a tree myself that is 30 years old from a mail order nursery…was supposed to have been McIntosh…but isn’t. Similar to Arkasas Black and King David, but I’ve not positively ID’d it after all these years.

And I have a second ‘Fuji’ from a big box store…and I don’t think that’s what it is…after 6 years it finally has a couple apples. Will see. but the foliage doesn’t look like Fuji.

You have a pretty apple in any case…how does it taste, cook?

It is quite tart. I eat some fresh and when nice and red very good but still tart…

Sauteed them with some butter and maple syrup… Mmmmmm good.

In a jam mix very good.

I thin the bottom limbs that I can reach some… but not the limbs on up the tree… it sets loads…

Usually mid June (6/10 this year) some of the overload apples will ripen early and drop.
Ok with me… they eat nicely especially cooked.

Others will hang on and ripen over the next several weeks. We get a nice extended harvest that way.

TNHunter

I’ve not grown or eaten…but could it be Gravenstein? I actually noticed it the first time you posted but thought somebody else would maybe ID it for you. My
Anoka might get that large if I thinned it drastically? (It has been ripe for 10 days or so…other apples still green on tree, drops when ripe, has stripes and is sour).
And Geneva Early should be ripe…but I don’t think that’s it. I lost that tree probably 15 years ago…it’s sweet and mealy in about two days after getting ripe.