2021 Buds, Flowers and Fruit!

This tree survived disease free when 4 or 5 pears planted near by and 3 other apples all died of fire blight. It is quite resistent to CAR too … just lightly affected.

It is around 15 ft tall.

It still has a mix of very green apples and ripening apples on it… 25 or so left.

If I do sell this place in the next couple years… which is planned… will have to retain scion wood rights :slight_smile:

TNHunter

2 Likes

Mine are doing well also,including the one cutting of yours.They like a lot of water.
Maybe,because the leaves are small,they don’t transpire like some plants.

5 Likes

Nice tree. You may be better off, McIntosh is a scab magnet.

2 Likes

I got lucky this year. A smorgasbord of cicadas and the birds left my blueberries alone. I usually have to fight the birds for them.

2 Likes

Got the first ripe Loganberries May 24… still getting some nice berries on June 30…

38 days later

My top producing berry by far.

Anyone got something good that produces like that ?

TNHunter

7 Likes

Multi Grafted plums after thinning will do one more thinning in a day or two. Just waiting for tonight thunder storm go away.

11 Likes

Which varieties have been productive for you, Naeem? I have a few and only one set a decent amount of fruit compared to the amount of flowers on the tree. When do they normally start to ripen?

1 Like

Beauty Plum lots of fruit sets, it is hit or miss about taste last year first few days were great tasting and after rain not so good. Second producing is Burbank Plum lots of plums sets this year do not know about taste yet.

When do they normally start to ripen?
Beauty will start ripening in a week or so and Burbank I do not know.

1 Like

Wow. Over here, my European plums are covered with Japanese beetles almost as densely as yours are covered with plums. I have no plums on my trees :confused:

Have you tried milky spore in your yard? We put it down in our townhouse yard a few years ago and, while it took about two years to really work, there are so few now.

1 Like

Yes, I have, but perhaps it hasn’t kicked in yet, I distributed it last year into the line, I am not sure if it was the right time of the year I think it was in the fall

2 Likes

Well, I did it middle of the summer. :woman_shrugging: But I bet you’ll start to see an effect next year. Which does exactly nothing for now.

I do not believe that is a Mackintosh apple. No stripes.

2 Likes

When you have a lot of j.b now is the time to spray. I use Imedan.The thing about them, when they mate, they fall to the ground, they are multiplying for next season in bigger quantities on YOUR PROPERTY. MIX IN OIL.

I also had a major problem with japanese beetles a few years back. I bought milky spore and put it down I believe in fall. It’s been a few years and it seems to be working for me. I noticed one Japanese beetle in my orchard so far this year. based on previous years I thought they should’ve already been here. MAybe they are just late this year but so far so good.

I’ve found that carbaryl works better than anything to kill them. Even better than imidan. However, carbaryl also kills beneficials. I used it one day on a bush cherry that was majorly acted by beetles and within minutes it looked like a nuclear bomb went off below the bush. So many dead beetles they looked like glittery mulch.

3 Likes

As with many insect ‘epidemics’ it’s worse to start…and after some time the problem decreases on it’s own.

The front of the ‘wave’ as the Japanese beetles move west and north (and south?) from point of introduction…they are awful the first half dozen years.

(And if the Japanese had the same clout as wuhan … they’d object to calling them “Japanese” beetles!)

3 Likes

My Chicago Hardy fig… now has 10 shoots averaging 7 ft tall now… with a fig set where each leaf comes out… those are about every 6 inches or less.

10 x 7 = 70 ft… 140 or so figs… so far.
Last year it got 10-12 ft tall by season end and had even more figs in the top area.

This is 3rd leaf for it.

I am impressed… think I need another of these. Different variety… different taste ?

Saw a youtuber bragging on his black mission fig… they were nice size figs and he said taste much like strawberries. My wife would love that… .me too.

Opinions on the BMF ?

Thanks

TNHunter

5 Likes

Today, pick a few Jaboticaba,s, the first wave with the second wave already starting. This tree is always on auto. The second wave seems much better.
The tree looks like it has a disease.

10 Likes

@mrsg47 and others…

I did a goog search on mcintosh apple, images, and found this on McIntosh (apple) - Wikipedia

On down that wikki page they have this image also (illustration)…

Again below is what my Mac apples look like…

Mac Apple

If I leave them on the tree until fully ripe they do turn a deep red, almost purplish color (when they get soft) and they have stripes that tend to run up and down… pretty much just like the apple in that wikki illustration.

They look pretty close to me ?

TNHunter

1 Like

Here in CA, Tiger Panache is great. Not sure if it’ll work in your area. It also serves as a good rootstock (vigorous) for many of the new varieties I grafted on it.