2021 Buds, Flowers and Fruit!

My one and only Orangered dropped yesterday. It was very bland. Hope it was because it was the first time it produced fruit.

8 Likes

They usually are a very sweet and good flavored Apricot.Was there a lot of rain recently?

Did you have rain? My first and second picking tasted differently because the second batch went through 48 hours of non-stop rain.

The first batch did not suffer that much rain and clearly tasted better.

Yes we had plenty of rain. That may have been the problem.

Some nice mature seng roots from a harvest last fall. Most in that plate were 30-50 years old.

One evenings hunt a few years back.

Some nice mature seng plants that I used for berry/seed production for many years.

The leaf clusters on seng does look similar to Virginia creeper… but the trained eye… can easily spot a ginseng plant when mixed in with VC. It is the pattern to the ginseng leaves that sets it apart. 3 big leaves point out from the center… 2 smaller leaves point back to the center. VC does not carry that pattern… Seng does.

I started hunting ginseng in 1976… still love to hunt it.

Most I ever got per dry pound was 770.00

TNHunter

14 Likes

This is my workhorse Beauty Plum graft. It is touching to the ground and this branch will be removed after this season . I did thinning but after sizing up looks very crowded. :sunglasses: I am harvesting few plums everyday some are sweet and some are blended .

16 Likes

Nice! I believe my grandfather could spot a plant (in the fall) from 300 yards :wink:

2 Likes

I never thought I would appreciate, or even like, some tangy fruits. With many donut peaches and garnsey figs ripen everyday, there is enough sugar, so these fruits offer a nice change straight from the fridge.
Snow Queen nectarine: the last few days was not too hot so the fruits were very nice, creamy, sweet and tangy.

The first Geo Pride pluot is unripe so still firm, while the Shiro plums are a little overripe. Both are very good, juicy, sweet with a little sour at the skin. In general, I like pluots better than plums because the skin is much thinner.

Snow Queen nectarine and Shiro plum

15 Likes

I like pluots because of the texture. Shiro gets soft pretty quick, and becomes a bag of juice when overripe. At that state, it still makes good juice, augmented with a little bit more sugar.

4 Likes

I agree with you. Flavor aside, I prefer the firmer crunchier texture of the pluot over the soft overly juicy texture of an Asian plum. To me the perfect texture is something like a juicy Flavor Grenade or Flavor Supreme. There may be better flavored pluots/plums out there but I haven’t found anything else that compares to the texture of FG/FS.

1 Like

I was too busy putting up the soap for the squirrels so I didn’t notice the overripe Shiro plums. I like crunchy fruits too, when they are ripe enough to be not too sour. I don’t make juice anymore. Anything not good enough for fresh eating ot drying goes into the everything jam, sweetened by figs, and kept in freezer. The jam is very good on yogurt.

3 Likes

Our favorite pluots are Flavor King and Flavor Grenade. Flavor Grenade is not edible when unripe, so we have to watch closely on when to pick. It is good crunchy or soft. We have a Flavor Supreme in a 3 in 1 with Dapple Dandy and Flavor Queen, in ground for a long time. Flavor Supreme never had flowers. We will have some Dapple Dandy later. Dapple Supreme also tastes very good. They keep blooming and having fruits for a long period each year.

2 Likes

Dhalia

9 Likes

@Naeem

As a group Dhalias are my favorite flower

Mike

1 Like

@MES111 Thanks Mike . These are blooming first time can not wait for other colors to show up.

SugarTwist pluerry (large): a little passed the crunchy state, firm, sweeter at the stem end
Geo Pride pluot (small): still crunchy. I put the ziploc bags on today, and will let some ripen later

13 Likes

I picked pears from a “Starking Delicious” pear tree in Murfreesboro TN in 1981 that probably had 15 bushels of ripe pears…in August. Probably the best pear I ever ate driectly from the tree.

That’s in your area sort of isn’t it.

1 Like

12 Likes

My Sorriso di Primavera plums are finally getting to the point of full ripeness. I’ve never had an Asian plum like this before. The texture was like that of candied fruit —very rich and creamy. It had a good acid sweetness balance. The fruit also smells aromatic before it’s even cut open.

16 Likes

Recently picked about 2 or 3 quarts of gooseberries, and about a quart of blackberries. Still not sure what to do with the gb’s.

BB’s are mostly Osage and Traveler, GB’s are mostly Oregon Champion.

9 Likes