2021 Buds, Flowers and Fruit!

@chinook - earlier this spring I did start a thread on tomato growing tips.

You might check it out below… It includes details on what I do to get earlier tomatoes, and that cattle panel trellis too.

Hope that helps.

TNHunter

1 Like

Well… you know what that is… that one still on the tree is my last Early Mcintosh apple… it should be ready in a few days.

So this Early Mc apple… ripened fruit from June 10 until something like July 20 depending on exactly when this last one is good and ripe.

There was never a whole lot of them ripe at the same time, they just sort of trickled in… I like that.

I do have some in the freezer from this year in apple/blackberry jam. But that one on the tree is the last one… I will keep a close eye on it and make sure and savor that taste one more time this year.

TNHunter

5 Likes

Thanks I will report back in a week or 10 days.

1 Like

Squirrels or Rabbits or -------- ?

1 Like

Either way @Naeem … I would eat his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Pay back.

TNHunter

5 Likes

First fruits on my Red Ivory mango tree. I doubt they will take but it’s great to see her fruit so early… :blush:

8 Likes

Squirrels? They stripped my Ambre nectarine potted tree of every fruit and the things were green and rock hard still. They are also stripping a donut peach (green/rock hard) and a another potted peach. They are eating the seeds. I’ve never seen this before. Traps are set and ready.

1 Like

I think squirrel

1 Like

My one and only peach seedling tree. Need a few more days.

5 Likes

My vote is on squirrel as well. Rabbits don’t seem to bite all over the place like that. They seem to work on eating one side and continue on. Rabbit teeth marks are also easier to identify.

Also, if you have both animals in your yard like I do, your fruit was probably stripped by a squirrel who took a bite here and a bite there and left the fruit lying around for a rabbit to nibble on it, too.

1 Like

I have three fours squirrels and about that many rabbits running around. Most likely squirrels as you all saying.

1 Like

Sweet corn… few more days… may try a couple.

TNHunter

4 Likes

I hope you all are having a great growing season.
Here are some of the things I have fruiting at the moment.
If any varieties seem off please let me know, some of these are fruiting for the first time and I still need to confirm they are true to type.

Chivers Delight

Cherry Cox

Chestnut Crab

Cox Orange Pippin

Firecracker Crab (Surprised to see this one, I thought this graft died)
20th Century A.Pear

Chojuro A.Pear

Issai Hardy Kiwi

Mislabeled dwarf nectarine

MBVS & LSU Purple figs

Superior Plum?

12 Likes

Those fruit are looking beautiful. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one individually bagging certain fruit. The birds have been terrible this year.

@PharmerDrewee Thank you. The birds are having a field day with my blueberries and mulberries right now. The squirrels and chipmunks have been a big problem so I’m trying to protect anything I can from them. Which reminds me I didn’t even share pictures of the pawpaws.
I wrapped a Susquehanna fruit up with some netting.

Wabash at the top and a netted Susquehanna at the bottom.

Some very small Allegheny fruits

Old Stark Apple

Black Madeira

5 Likes

Wabash is probably my favorite pawpaw of the few I’ve tasted. I gave up on my Wabash since it was in the ground for years and did nothing. However, it’s making a comeback this year with lots of healthy growth and fruit. The only difference was I put bowls of spent tea leaves from all the loose tea I brewed over the winter around it like mulch. I drink a lot of tea so it must have been pounds! This thing never liked commercial compost very much though.

Below are some Shenandoah clusters from a tree that always grew well despite no special care but never held onto fruit until this year. A lot of the flowers got damaged by frost this year and last.

Not sure why the difference in tree performance. Maybe Wabash is just on a needy seedling rootstock.

12 Likes

Great pictures.

2 Likes

So beautiful and clean. What pears is in the back ground looking nice and thinned perfectly.

1 Like

Very nice and clean fruit.

2 Likes

Thanks Naeem. The ones in the back are Hosui. I think I still left too many. Took me 3 rounds of thinning to get here.

Here’s Drippin Honey

9 Likes