2021 Fruit Tree/Shrub/Vine/Berry Orders

Did you just plant them (rhubarb) last year? My current rhubarb died back after a month the first year, then came back just fine after that. I won’t be heartbroken if it doesn’t work out, but I’m hopeful.

1 Like

The Victoria that I planted appeared to die too, but I was out a few days ago planting trees in the area and had push some mulch away from where one was planted and noticed that it was starting to wake up. I actually planted a few Victoria the year before last and noticed that the same thing happened with those plants too. They came back the next year. I think rhubarb crowns are somewhat hardy.

1 Like

yes, I planted them Spring of 2020. It would be amazing if they returned, the area is on irrigation, so the roots wouldn’t have dried up. Maybe tomorrow I will clear the mulch and see if there is anything going on there. Peonies are pushing up now, and my stone fruit is going to start flowering in the next few days, so maybe there will be life.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty resilient stuff. I thought I was in trouble, though. I thought I had killed the spouse’s family rhubarb (the parent material being no longer accessible). I was very relieved to see those come back up!

2 Likes

My order for 2021 is:

•Carmine jewel cherry

•Martin saskatoon

•2 different Biricoccolo/ Black apricot ( a cross between cherry plum and apricot that is native in Italy and eastern europe)

• Goumi

• 3 rhaspberries Autumn First to fill out the spot

• 3 rhaspberries Autumn Amber to add some variety

• 3 goose berries (Mr. Green, Goldling, Lady Late)

• Strawberries Parfum Freejumper, a everbearing variety

Strawberries Parfum SchweizerDuft, an early variety

• 3 walking onions

I ordered these at Lubera. Some ( the gooseberries, the Strawberries and the Black apricots) are varieties bred by them

2 Likes

I learned of Adams County Nursery from this thread and looked them up; they’re 75 minutes from me so I thought it might be worth a drive. I’m in northern VA, very northern Loudoun County. Does anyone have a recommendation of a fruit tree they carry that would have good fungal/disease/pest resistance (not need spraying) in my area? I’m open to anything. Was hoping they’d carry Montmorency cherry as I have a neighbor with two of those that do quite well without spraying but they don’t appear to have any cherry trees. Hope this doesn’t derail the thread at all. It’s fun to see folks’ orders, and from where they’re buying.

2 Likes

Liberty apple, and hopefully the new Triumph apple will be trouble free. Some pears are trouble free, but I’ve not checked ACN for that.

3 Likes

Grimo:
Keystone, porter, fayette and henry hickories

Whiffletree:
Contender peach
Alfred apricot
Scotia and york elderberries
2x lingonberry varieties
2x arctic kiwi varietied
3xdifferent strawberries to try
Various root stocks as well

2 Likes

My Juliet just came from Gurneys. Nice sized plant with decent roots. Only a few broken branches, but that’s to be expected. I think I would have preferred a smaller tree with the same root ball, but it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Those look great! :slight_smile:

The other two items that I ordered from Gurnery’s came last week. They weren’t anything to write home about, but that’s what I was expecting, so I wasn’t disappointment.

1 Like

Yeah, the rhubarb they sent was a potted tissue culture. It clearly needed a few more weeks in the greenhouse to develop the roots, and it’s still a little cold to plant out something that’s actively growing. It’ll be ok, though.

1 Like

Edible Landscaping hasn’t offered Gabe or Jules for two plus years now, I’d recommend getting a normal Nanking to pollinate. Just a friendly heads up :slight_smile: .

Consider getting them from Honeyberry USA, better stock far less price. It’s where all my UofS cherries have come from.

2 Likes

They won’t show you SQUAT, but I will say their stock is phenomenal. I’ve bought from them multiple times, everything was impressive for the price paid. One awesome view too. It’s orchard trees as far as the eye can see!

1 Like

That’s where I was planning to. I had a gift card to Gurneys, and this was about the only thing I wanted from them. I’m pretty pleased overall with the plant.

1 Like

I’ll admit I’m SHOCKED at the quality Gurney’s sent you. That is not the normal experience in my run-ins with them. I.E. my current situation where I finally gave in, bought a Wowza and now it’s sat in shipping for a week plus during 70* weather. I know what I’m going to receive will be rough at this point from a commercial standpoint. I get tired of resurrecting their plants… :sleepy:. And of course big business (Gurneys and company) would buy cherry rights to a cherry unreleased from the Romance series that’s twice the size of any of the others :man_facepalming:. Talk about “screwing” commercial growers, the price is absolutely absurd, but my customers made me painfully aware of its existence.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting it to be anywhere near that nice. I guess I just got lucky! Good luck with your Wowza.

1 Like

Years ago ;
I ordered some bare root plants from Gurneys
Yankton. South Dakota.
What finally came was dry dead roots on scrawny plants.
About half of the plants died, or already were dead.

3 Likes

Thanks! I don’t see Liberty or Triumph; both were recommended as not necessarily needing spraying a few posts up. I’ve read varying things about the Brood X cicadas, which I do anticipate seeing in high numbers, laying eggs on young fruit tree wood so maybe this isn’t the season but if you have any recs of anything they may offer that would fit the no-spray needs category, I’d love to hear it. I’m still wanting Montmorency as I think that might work for no spray, but I don’t see any cherry trees listed at all even though they show cherry as a category.

It’s not necessarily something ACN carries, but I had to shamelessly put a plug in for pawpaws, persimmons, mullberries, and jujubes. They are all pretty low maintenance and should be easy to grow with little spray.

1 Like