2021 Fruit Tree/Shrub/Vine/Berry Orders

Thanks! I’ve never had jujubes or pawpaws. There are some wild persimmons around and even when they’ve gotten to super gooey stages the tannins are awful on my tongue- feels like sandpaper for several hours! I have a hunch that some folks may have different saliva enzymes or something bc I’ve had my kids’ friends tell me that they enjoy them. I’ve also had some of the wild mulberries around here and they’re rather boring. Maybe I just need to try different varieties of both persimmons and mulberries. And I’d love to try jujubes or pawpaws. Thanks for naming some fruits for me to consider that shouldn’t necessarily need spraying!!!

2 Likes

So here is my England’s 2021 order! Very long box to accommodate everything. I had ordered a few larger persimmon seedlings that unfortunately were not available but otherwise I am happy with what I received. A couple grafted persimmons, a grafted Halvin pawpaw, 22 pawpaw seedlings (6 3-4ft that look to be a great value), SO jujube, and a bunch of pawpaw scions.

I will update my post with a root pic when I get everything opened.

6 Likes

Nice assortment!

I bit the bullet and ordered a Gerardi dwarf mulberry from Whitman Farms. Looking forward to finally having our own mulberry tree!

4 Likes

I’ve contemplating about growing Giraldi for a couple of years now. I really like Lucille, how she does her business. My Japanese red maple trees from her are still doing well.

4 Likes

Yeah, she’s pretty great. Less convenient than clicking a few buttons, but worth it.

I have received all of my orders except the order from Edible Landscaping which is due to arrive next week. So far most things look good.

I am a little disappointed with some of the items that Indiana Berry sent. A few of the honey berries and goose berries don’t seem to be leafing out. Also, I called them to let them know that they left some things off of my order and they said they would ship it out. I told the lady two times what was missing and when the new box arrived one of the items was still missing. I didn’t have time to look for my receipt and call again, so I just took the loss. I’m going to call about the other plants next week. I don’t think I will be ordering from them again, especially if I have issues with reporting the plants that didn’t leaf out.

The order that I got from Burnt Ridge was 80% ok. The Blue Elderberry that they sent looked DOA to me, but I planted it anyway hoping for the best. It is showing no signs of life, while the two Elderberries that I got from Indiana Berry have already started to leaf out.

My Ison’s order looks good this year, but last year I ordered four 4 in 1 Cherry trees and one of them didn’t leaf out this spring. Also, the Blue Moon Honeyberry they sent last year never did leaf out (but they replaced it this spring and what they sent was really nice). I’m actually really pleased with what I have gotten from them otherwise. I will probably order from them again if they have something that I am interested in.

2 Likes

Well for 2021 I didnt do much ordering other than being snowed under with tons of grafting after scion trades from several great helpful friends here for my rootstock, and a scion order from Mr Bob Purvis which grafts have taken, and help from one of our fellow forum members on persimmon rootstock! Big progress if I can now grow them out!
But the big (or small but super neat!) thing I ordered is a prague citsuma! Said to be hardy to around 5F and great satsuma flavor! Has taken to about 2F against a building in eastern europe I read! Sounds great for zone 7b areas a bit too cold for satsumas…
I plan to grow it out and graft several more of them for my simple dream geothermal greenhouse in a year or 2! :slight_smile:

4 Likes