2023 Grafting Thread

Winter Banana 1 month Chip Bud Graft.

Ps: Is there any source for Scionwood for the malling Rootstocks? Specifically, M111 and M9. I want to graft them on my seedling rootstocks then trench/ground layer them so i can do clonal propagation.

3 Likes

@Seannosis

I would grab some rootstock from @39thparallel and graft the tip of mm111 rootstock etc. on each seedling apple you want to https://39thparallel.com/

In that way you could make several trees from each rootstock. If the rootstocks are under $4 i suspect you could do it for $1 per tree which is cheaper than scion wood. You would want one or 2 buds of mm111 to graft on each seedling rootstock .

1 Like

The issue is that I’m in Jamaica. Getting the scionwoods here is not a problem. However, getting the rootstocks would presents some challenges. This is due to the phytosanitary issues when it comes to importing plants with roots in the country. To avoid all the bureaucracy and round a round, similar to what i did with the scionwoods ,by just ordering them and getting them within a week, i wanted to do the same for the malling stocks in scionwood form🤔.

1 Like

@Seannosis

I’m not able to provide the best advice in aquiring plants or scions in Jamaica. There are some nurseries that ship international. Here is an example of the terms Order Details | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings . The expenses go up exponentially. They do have exactly what you want but the cost is high because they only ship very large quantities.

Getting scionwood shipped to Jamaica is fairly cheap and easy. It’s the plants with roots attached are the issue. I think nurseries should also offer scionwood of the popular “rootstocks”. Especially, for the interstem grafting market. Ironically, Winter Banana , according to my research from this forum, can be used as a inter stem for grafting pears :pear: on to apples :apple:.

2 Likes

@Seannosis

You may like this website and it may alter your choice of rootstock https://eurekamag.com/research/007/637/007637340.php
"

"

11 years is a long time. What frequently happens is incompatibility is not realized sometimes for years. You will like this thread as well i think Interstem aka interstock Pear Grafting and this is a very old thread but it will be helpful Grafting Apple to Non-Fruiting Pear Tree Question. .This thread Winter Banana interstem length and Winter bannana and Grafting pear on apple

1 Like

Cherry whip/toung and mod cleft.

Goumi w/t and mod cleft

Au producer whip to Au rosa

Early Mcintosh w/t to M7 (last spring).

Keiffer and imp keiffer mod cleft and bark graft to callery.

10 Likes

Winter Banana :apple: putting on fast growth :herb: during the full moon :full_moon: lunar cycle!

3 Likes

William’s Pride, Arkansas Black are taking off. Only Gold Rush is still nothing, any day now I think.

Looks like my graft of the allegedly cold-hardy avocado “Fantastic” has taken after a slow start:

I’m hoping to compare it to “Del Rio” to see if they really are the same cultivar, or just similar. I have a bunch of Del Rio grafts I did back in September that are growing nicely this spring, so it shouldn’t take long to at least compare foliage.

4 Likes

Did a little February grafting…and six or 7 dozen in March. Most have taken.
Still a bit of grafting to do…everything early this year in KY.

3 Likes

I put in a few more pear grafts yesterday and doing more today. Will start pecan grafts Monday of next week when temperatures are finally favorable for callusing.

2 Likes

I did 2 pear grafts and 2 nectarine grafts yesterday.

Jujube Massandra, this is my second graft

I finally got a Black Sea

Orange Beauty

Bok Jo

2 Likes

A strange phenomenon with Gold Rush, it took me 3 scionwoods with different grafting techniques to get 5 successful takes. My most successful rates came from chip budding.
Lastly, one of my Gold Rush chip bud grafts seems to be the most vigorous grower this year. Even out performing other grafts with a 2 months head start.:man_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

It looks like I might have a Good Rush apple in the future, lol.

1 Like

Hey all, had a question.
Initially when I was learning how to graft, i heard people kept the scionwood moist so it doesn’t dry out after cutting the tongue on it by keeping it in their mouth while they are working on the corresponding cut on the rootstock. I used to do this maybe the 1st year or 2, but then I heard you don’t know what people are spraying on their orchard so just keep it in small jar of water instead while you are working on the rootstock. When doing the rubberband and parafilm steps, I would also dip the rubber band in water and add a bit of water to the ‘joined’ grafted section before wrapping it with parafilm. I thought keeping moisture inside would be good so it definitely doesn’t dry out, but watching a JSacadura Youtube video the other day, I think i heard him say you won’t want moisture in there (but also still use parafilm so it doesn’t dry out).
Whats your opinions, anyone like to ‘keep’ some moisture in there by adding water (or spit as I used to do heh) before wrapping the parafilm? My success ratio with apples last year was very high so wondering if anyone else would still discourage this practice.

Rather than throw away the pruned cuttings from my espaliered pears I thought I’d try some grafting. These are Comice and Josephine pears onto Hawthorn bushes (Crataegus monogyna).

!

9 Likes

I had to laugh when I read your comment. I found myself putting the scion in my mouth. I figured out that when it’s cut it’s almost identical in size to my clarinet reeds I used to keep in my mouth to wet them and soften them up. Very common for a clarinet player to do that.

I tend to only do that when they wood looks dry. I don’t know the effect of enzymes in saliva, but I can’t see why getting it damp is a bad thing. Lots of folks soak scions before grafting if they look dry. When I see some condensation inside parafilm on a hot day I know the graft is not desicated

8 Likes

I do that - I either hold it in my mouth or wet it with my tongue. I don’t remember where and when that instruction came from. I cannot confirm or cite a source about the positive effects of saliva content (enzymes?) on graft union, apart from its wetting effect.
As for the remark “you won’t want moisture in there” - wetting with the mouth or tongue is localized and temporary, similar to placing it in a container of water, the graft union will not be submerged in moisture or flooded, which would be harmful.

3 Likes

I do that when bud grafting. I read one instance somewhere that said it wasn’t a good idea, but it wasn’t from an authofitative source. Until I read some really damning evidence, (or I grow a third arm) I will likely continue putting buds for grafting in my mouth.

:wink:

6 Likes