Grafting pear on apple

Who has done it and how’s it been working out? My friend John Meader told me that Northern Spy can host pear for a few years, and of course Winter Banana is widely acknowledged as being compatible with pear. I’m curious about folks’ experience, thanks!

5 Likes

@JesseinMaine

I’m curious as well about this and will be following this topic. My experience has been apples and pears are partially compatible but the majority will fail in time. @39thparallel was growing an experimental apple on pear for a time. @Auburn did this longer term with some success.

1 Like

I grew some pears with different apple interstems. Some were grown for about six years. Some of the interstems I used were, Winter Banana, Yates, Bud 9, and Mollie. I grew these for entertainment and I have know idea how they would do long term. I relocated and I plan to start a few more interstems soon. Have fun.

5 Likes

I will be grafting 25-30 apples on callery with Winter Banana interstem this spring. I plant to document the process. Just in case the experiment turns out poorly, I will have back-ups on M7 and M111.

5 Likes

@Auburn How did the Yates do as an interstem? It is a variety that I am already planning to graft to callery. Perhaps this is a scion that will not need the WB interstem? I could not find anything online about Yates as an interstem- how did you lean that it can be used as an interstem?

1 Like

I don’t know where but I’ve read that Yates works for interstem.

2 Likes

I grew Fertility pear on an apple tree for several years. Made some pears that weren’t bad. Maybe lasted 5 years before dying.

2 Likes