Winter bannana

Is winter bannana compatible with Bradford pear

2 Likes

I have used winter banana as an interstem to graft pear on to apple tree. Fuji/Winter Banana/Harrow Sweet. The graft is still alive. So I would think it’ll take on Bradford pear too. But my graft is only a couple of years old. I think Auburn has been doing this longer so he might be able to comment on long term compatibility.

3 Likes

It has a reputation as the most compatible apple-to-pear graft, so probably.

I have one that I grafted onto hawthorn last year. It barely grew at all, but it does seem to be waking up this year, much to my surprise.

2 Likes

Several years ago I attempted two grafts of Winter Banana directly onto Callery roots and both failed. Two fails doesn’t determine incompatibly but it is an indicator. Since then I have used various interstems and some appear more compatible than others.

2 Likes

So maybe a compatible pear, then winter bannana then the apple you want.

2 Likes

A couple of my more recent grafts that look promising are between Harrow Sweet and Winter Banana. I also have another Asian pear that is an unknown variety that looks even more promising between Winter Banana and even other apples.

2 Likes

@Derby42
That little yellow pear i sent you last year or year before works as an interstem for most things. Ive used it several times to graft to ungraftable pear trees! Apples though i dont know but if anything would work it will!

2 Likes