2023 NEW to your garden / orchard this year?

You don’t have to like what you grow, I eat about 5 avocados a year, but I have 2 avocado trees. Why? We’re avocado land here, might as well grow what’s local to your area. I can always give them away. My kids love them.

1 Like

One more goumi graft.

Again carmine goumi scion to red gem.

Small scion to larger wood… modified cleft.

I may graft some pears this evening.

3 Likes

Someone sent me AU Producer plum scions…

Grafted one on my new AU Rosa tree. It is in near full bloom now. Hope this takes.

3 Likes

True! I definitely may grab one in the future, I think they still need some babying here at first with our cold snaps.

For now I’ve got other stuff higher on my list, so it may be a while: goumi, goji, pecans, hazelnuts and low chill cherries if they’ll grow here, more blueberries and blackberries, strawberries, meyer lemon, lime, ice cream mango, and mildly cold hardy bananas (my neighbor has a banana stand that I’m extremely jealous of so I know they will do well in my neighborhood once established).

3 Likes

I have very small yard here, so no nut trees, I’m the only nut here, lol. But I like to add more low chill cherries just for the fun of it.

Grafted my two callery pears this evening… with keiffer and imp keiffer scions.

My imp keifer scions were smallish… ideal for bark graft on this larger tree.

The keiffer scions were larger… and i used one on this smaller callery via modified cleft graft.

I will put some parafilm on the imp keiffer scions tomorrow… after my tree coat dries.

TNHunter

8 Likes

Wonderful Pomegranate, I hope it’s truly wonderful. I only eat 2-3 poms a year but I plant this tree to compete with neighbor’s hedge. Plus the bright orange flowers are great.
I bought this from Home Depot.

6 Likes

Starks delivery today… IKKJ Persimmon… about 3 ft tall. I will get it planted tomorrow.

Looks like whip/tounge graft to DV rootstock.

2 Likes

My prok from them has the same graft. It looks a little cleaner. I am hoping they use American and not Asian as the Asian would likely mean a death after winter

@elivings1 … I have lots of wild american DV rootstock here… and the Starks rootstock sure looks like a match.

1 Like

Well I had to plant my little IKKJ persimmon (temp) in my compost pile this morning.

Rained some last night and early this morning.

When it drys out enough… will move it out in my field in our future new house location.

Just behind my compost pile to the right… i have this nice little wild american DV growing. Plan to graft Prok to it this spring.

I do also have scions of JT02, WS8-10, H63A, Kassandra, Nakitas Gift, Rich Tooie, and others.

But I have several other wild DV to graft to.

1 Like

A new Polonais apricot. A very old variety.

1 Like

Do I understand that aright: Iron Leather apple? There must be quite the story to that name.

Flavor punch pluerry from Bay Laurel

5 Likes

Beautiful flowers!

1 Like

The Pluerry seems quite small. We will see if mine are that small when they come from Raintree. I presume the flowers are coming from something in the back?

Decent size for me. Not OGW kind of small. I probably will never buy anything from Raintree again. However, I’m looking to buy more from ToA and Bay Laurel, if they have the varieties that I like.

That would be quite an epic Name! It is Egg leather Apple, because of its distinct shape. Leather Apple is the german word for russets.

2 Likes

I hadn’t looked it up & figured my thought was wrong. Thank you! I hope & expect russets will work far better for you than they can in my terribly dry & hot summer climate. Several russets have been tried in my yard. None did well.
Thanks for the lesson in German.

1 Like

What I bought this year are:
2 × figs of San pedro kind
1 fig, Napolitana negra (Spanish)
1 peach, Carnival
1 peach, UFO3
1 plum, Kelsey
1 pear, Coscia (Italian)

Also, I grafted a Murcott mandarin on sour orange rootstock.

2 Likes