2023 NEW to your garden / orchard this year?

My trees are here! May keep them in containers for a few more weeks until my last frost date has officially passed so I can bring them into the garage if needed.

4 Likes

New this year: 5 Fall Gold raspberries; 1 Double Gold raspberry; will graft Clark’s Crab; Chestnut Crab; Nui Nai male persimmon to hopefully reduce Giboshi’s annual 90% fruit drop; figs Des Tres Esplets, Green Michurinska and Smith. And am getting a scion of Monty’s Surprise apple from a friend.

I know there are more productive berries than Fall Gold but I grew it years ago and the taste is FABULOUS. The best tasting fruit I’ve grown in 45 years of experimenting with seven or eight species of fruit,

6 Likes

My large asian pear seed from the grocery store sprouted. I’ll update on how it’s doing in 5 or 6 years. :wink:

3 Likes

I grafted scions of orient pear…onto a couple wild callery in the edge of my field.

I may want to graft orient onto my kieffer and improved kieffer trees once they mature some.

Like next spring.

Not new to my garden, but new for my Sister.

She has a couple of pear trees that she was not happy with… Her husband was ready to cut them down. Instead I had him cut them off about 4 ft tall and I bark grafted several… Korean Giant, Potomac, Harrow Sweet scions to both.

Hope those take and they like some of those better.
Per Orange Pippin they all pollinate.

I ran out of root stock here and had those scions left over… helped my Sister out a bit (hopefully).

It finally dried up enough to dig a hole…

Got my IKKJ Persimmon moved from the compost pile to its permanent location (on my lunch hour). Watered it good.

Will get it mulched and caged after work.

2 Likes

@elivings1
One of my Flavor Punch trees started bloomimg last week. Like plum, pluot, and other pluerry, the flowers are small and white. Atomic Red white nectarine has red flowers like the tree in the back.

1 Like

Funny on how all the fruit I seem to like tends to have white flowers while I like the pink and red flowers the best.

1 Like

@elivings1

Goumi have nice yellow blossoms… smell good too.

I have a couple of trees in my back yard you would like… they are not blooming yet… this is from previous year.

Redbud and crabapple. Love that color.
The red bud blossoms are edible too… taste a little like sugar snap peas.

3 Likes

I often forget about yellow flowers because they are not on plants common to where I live. I know currents and now I know goumi have yellow flowers. Neither of which I am growing. I am growing a few persimmon which are supposed to have a yellow flower. We have a few crabapple here. I think it does have those pretty pink flowers but the one tree is taller than the house and is in the back of the house. The other one is not in a very noticeable spot. Our crabpples just go to the birds. I can’t think of a time we even had a chance to harvest them. Yellow and brown seen to be rare on plants in nature. The only plants I have seen that produce fruit that are brown is pawpaw and yellow is currents, goumi and persimmon as far as I know.

1 Like

Ground Cherry! I don’t know anything about them, but I will after this season.

3 Likes

Nice! Which species?

I’ve been growing Physalis pruinosa (the most common species referred to as groundcherry) for a number of years, and all three kids have enjoyed snacking on them. They usually volunteer each year, so I no longer bother starting them. They are sweet and taste vaguely of pineapple or mango with a slight tomato aftertaste, but they are not very tart. We have only eaten them fresh, never tried using them for anything.

This year I’m adding the Peruvian groundcherry (P. peruviana), seed is from grocery store fruit that was grown in Colombia. The taste was much more tart, almost intensely tart. My 1 year old loved them, but the older kids said they prefer the regular groundcherries. I’ve had very high germination rate in the tray, and it’s time to thin them soon.

I think there’s another species native to Colorado, but I forget what the name is.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. We are growing the standard Aunt Molly’s. The seeds actually germinated pretty well so I’m looking forward to seeing how they progress before the are ready for the garden.

1 Like

I’m happy to report my second Hood pear from Home Depot is showing some life. I think must be after the rain. However I still keep the receipt to return it if it dies. Home Depot doesn’t take back plants unless you have the original receipt.

People seem to either love or hate groundcherries. I have heard they are sweet but almost have a edamame taste to it too. I myself have never tried them. I prefer and always have preferred the cherries from the tree.

That does not surprise me that a company requires proof or the original receipt. Knowing big box stores I would be less concerned about it not coming out and more concerned it was not the plant you bought.

I never had to have a receipt to return plants before. I bring back plants after one year and they refund me. I usually buy something else as a replacement at the same shop. This is something new recently.

Home Depot always asked for my order number which gave them the receipt when I requested it. Online places have asked for my order number and some have really annoying timeframes. Grow Organic Peaceful Valley gives you two weeks in May and by June it is too late but my growing season does not even start until May. That is my major gripe with Grow Organic Peaceful Valley in general. They are always trying to do things months ahead of my current growing season. Raintree is the opposite and wants you to wait until something like August but by that time all the popular plants will be sold out on their website so you will be 1 year behind. Just my gripes with guarantee times.

1 Like

My persimmons arrived last night. Chocolate is on the left, Nishimura Wase on the right.

3 Likes

Adding a double U espalier of Granny Smith, should be pretty. The new huge green pot arrived Saturday. I cannot garden for another week, so I have help arriving tomorrow.