2023 NEW to your garden / orchard this year?

I ordered arctic babe and nectazee from raintree. Have not gotten them yet, but excited to see if I can get some fruit from container trees.

1 Like

Besides the new Polonais apricot, I am now waiting to take delivery of a bareroot
double Ù espalier 5 year old Granny Smith apple. I cannot wait to see it.

3 Likes

I am hoping for that too. Given how small the root systems are and it is flowering I think that is a good sign.

Black raspberries gifted to me by a crazy pawpaw grower.

Pluerry. I got a candy heart, and on @Vincent_8B suggestion got a sweet treat that should be more reliable.

Pawpaw trees. Need I say anymore.

Cosmic crisp apple. It’s the start of 3rd grow season so not new. Just looking for some apples now.

I also plan to have a jujube tree soon any day. Thinking Li or honeypot. Raintree still has some in stock as well as restoring Eden.

5 Likes

High hopes for the new 2023 fruit.

I went with
1 jiro persimmon
1 prairie star persimmon
4 seaberry each a different variety
1 arctic jay nectarine
1 sweet heart cherry
1 ayers pear
1 flavor king pluot
1 dapple dandy pluot
1 green gage plum
1 au rubrum plum
1 mango paw paw
1 wabash paw paw
Several new grapes, currants, elderberry, and lingonberries.

I’m kinda all over the place mainly trying new fruit I’ve yet to taste or really even see in person. The paw paws, persimmons, and figs are all completely new to me so hoping i get to enjoy them. Planted an olympia and VDB fig last year.

Happy to hear any experiences with what I listed, they are all new varieties for me.

8 Likes

This should be the end of my New Stuff added for this year… not counting a bunch of apple and persimmon grafts i am adding when the time is right.

Note to self… planted

2 Purple Royalty
2 Joan J
4 Bristol blacks in that row.

Tomato cages on top for the night to hopefully make sure nothing messes with them. I will get them mulched good soon.

4 Likes

I headed back my two Apriums.

There’s going to be a Shiro, Flavor Queen and Flavor Grenade in a row with them as a prunus hedge of sorts. Those are coming from Adam’s County Nursery whenever they start shipping to the Philly suburbs.

3 Likes

No pictures but I grafted 5 Apple scions recently. William’s Pride, Gold Rush, Arkansas Black, King David, and Winter Banana. The buds look are swelling a little after the rain so who knows. But I have faith that they are working.

4 Likes

Five fig cuttings, I’m bringing them out in slightly more sunny area. I also add more holes for drainage. Today I finally gave them some water, not much but not a small tablespoon anymore. They are in my peony bed and they are very much like peonies, they don’t like too much water.

White Madeira No1
Noir De Barbentane
Unk Pastiliere
Hartive de Argenteuil
Adriatic JH.

3 Likes

Almost done with this garden bed (& paths around it) for raspberries - Anne, Caroline, Heritage, Autumn Britten and Jaclyn:

Getting 3 Chicago Hardy fig trees and some peach trees (which type they will be is unknown as of yet - they are a gift from a friend who has access to leftover trees from a local grower who ordered more than they can plant)

4 Likes

Another 3 fig cuttings I’m bringing out of the shade, this area only has morning sun, shady in the afternoon, I also gave them a bit of my rain water.

Black Madeira
Col De Dame Noir
Grosse Monstreuse de Lipari

2 Likes

I-258, I’m going to dig around this area and move to a pot, dirt and all, in late June. I just dipped this in root hormone and stuck to the ground, this variety is quite vigorous.

3 Likes

Since I am zone 5 my party is just getting started other than those genetic dwarf nectarines. I finally got my Nadia cherry plum, a white gold cherry tree and Fuji apple tree from Cummins today. All looked great and had green on them. My other orders should come next week hopefully.

3 Likes

I put in 3 pears this year, harrow delight, seckel, and comice. the seckle and harrow are near 5 feet tall and lots of limbs, the comice is a smaller whip. hoping it’s enough pollination between the 3 of them. and not sure how long they all will take to fruit.

half my jujubes are in too, but 3 came so early in the season that I had to put them in a pot indoors. they are flowering, I won’t put them out until late may probably.

the lilac are budding, so we should get a good long warm spring month. nothing else in bud yet, quite

1 Like

I do not have all the room in the world but, I bought two new trees today. The first is a Charles Ingouf white peach. A very old peach. The second tree is a Prune D’Alsace damas plum. It is a true Quetche. I have always wanted this very oval-shaped plum. It cooks like Damson, which does not grow well here.

4-5 year old trees

3 Likes

Tried to remember all the NEW stuff I added to my garden/orchard this year… I am not done yet but this is where I am at now.

New purchased fruit trees planted.

1 IKKJ Persimmon
1 Silk Hope Mulberry
1 AU Rosa Plum
1 Shiro Plum

Cane Fruit added

4 Bristol Black raspberry
2 Joan J
2 Purple Royalty
1 Fall Gold (prop from root shoot planted in new bed).

Apples

1 Early Mc Apple planted (grafted to M7 rootstock last spring)
1 NovaMac Apple planted (grafted to M7 rootstock last spring).
2 grafts if Pristine to Early Mc
2 grafts of Ark Black to Early Mc and Hudson Golden Gem
2 grafts of Black Limbertwig to my Crab apple and Akane.

2 wild callery transplanted to my field and grafted over to kieffer and improved kieffer pear
4 wild callery (in edge of field) grafted over to Orient pear.

2 crowns of wild elderberry transplanted into my field (looking great now).

2 wild american persimmons (grown from seed last year) planted in my field and grafted over to Kassandra and Nakitta’s Gift.

1 Wild American persimmon in my field, grafted over to JT-02

I think that is about it so far… I have several more varieties of Persimmons left to graft and the time is right now. Going out in the field to work some of those over this evening.

Oh… and I had lots of pear scions left over so went to my Sisters house and grafted over 2 pear trees she had (12 grafts added there)… and then to my Neighbors house and worked over two wild callery pears there adding 8 bark grafts.

TNHunter

3 Likes

I got my Cummins order today. Mostly just assorted root stocks for replacing failed grafts or dead trees in the orchard, 48 of those to graft. 4 Mahaleb so I can graft the Montmorency cherry at the house to be planted out at the orchard. Then 5 cold hardy peach trees to try out at the orchard: Carolina Gold; China Pearl; Contender; Intrepid; and Redhaven.
I’ve never grafted cherry before, and I had a difficult time finding new growth on the Montmorency that isn’t tiny. Maybe I’ll just cleft graft them so I can add two scion to the root stock.

1 Like

Got 25 early glow strawberries in today…

My first order from gurneys… they lost it or something… it showed lable created but never showed shipped… after calling them twice… they finally got them out the door with a reshipment.

Anyway… i finally got them.

2 Likes

tomorrow or Sunday I’m picking up quinault strawberries, bare root from the local feed/garden place. my alpine and everbearing types didn’t do well last year, though I got plenty of runners. I think the early glow don’t like the weather here. (zone 6 high desert))

got my semi dwarf Wiliams pride yesterday. forgot to tell Starks to send last week of April. just starting to break bud. buried it on the ground mounded with 2ft of snow on the north side of the house. stays frozen there until beg. of may.

3 Likes