2023 NEW to your garden / orchard this year?

It was snowing all day and will snow all night tonight. I got 2 4 in1 zee sweet pluot and 2 regular 4 in 1 pluot today, 2 4 in 1 mirabelle plums (I asked Raintree to give me all varieties of Mirabelle as a request but Raintree did not honor it), A ayers pear, a fruit punch pluerry, a super mol and a sauzee swirl donut nectarine today from Raintree nursery. Yesterday I got some carpet raspberry I want to test out where I live, some wintergreen and a Chinese Mormon apricot from Raintree. I got some hardy kiwi vines and some persimmon males yesterday from hidden springs nursery. I am hoping to keep these male persimmon small as I only want them for the flowers. I got 1 Tonda De Girardi, 1 aprium to test here, 1 peacatum, 2 Wabash, 2 Shenandoah and 1 KSU chapel pawpaw trees from 1 Green World today. I have more coming in the next few days. I am going to have to get creative or get rid of something for the new plants. I just have too much coming and I underestimated it when ordering because I forgot what I ordered throughout the year. Hate to say it but my American hazelnut are getting the axe for the European as I know they are more fruitful.

2 Likes

This is an update to my blueberry blackberry area from last fall. Here’s the original pic. It’s an area with pampas grass, weeds, old lumber, and such.

This was after the grasses were removed. They had really deep roots and the grass would cut your hand if you weren’t careful. The grasses were separated and planted elsewhere. Nothing goes to waste, even dug up grass and clods of dirt.

Some plants were gathered from various places in the yard and a few purchased. A thick layer of cut grass, soil, and did help to keep the weeds at bay.

Here is a pic from today. I’m waiting for the trellis wire to stretch out straight. I had been walking all over the blackberry vines and desperately needed to get them off the ground.

The arbor came from a cottage that was sold across the street. The new neighbors were going to burn it and I raced over to offer to remove it. It was a bit twisted from years sitting uneven, but it’s settling down now and much straighter. I would like to add a climbing rose or clematis.

I just added snow bank blackberry to the group. This is an Internet photo. Does anyone have any experience with it? This is a stick photo.

11 Likes

I would have run over to get it too! Its great!

3 Likes

I had snowbank blackberries. I did not like how thorny they were. I saw a video and he said hey were massive producers but they were not the biggest blackberries. I had issues with magpies and blackberries when they were small blackberries along time ago but my prime arch freedom were not targeted so I removed the snowbank and planted more prime arch freedom.

1 Like

Adding to what I posted 5 days ago… this week…

On a wild american persimmon rootstock in my field… i grafted on WS8-10

On another… grafted on H63A

On another… grafted on Coroa De Rei

On a 1.5 inch diameter wild persimmon sapling… i bark grafted on one scion each of JT02 and Kasandra.

On a 2 inch diameter persimmon sapling… bark grafted on WS8-10. 3 of those.

On a 4 inch diameter persimmon sapling… bark grafted on JT02. 4 of those.

On another 4 inch diameter persimmon sapling… bark grafted on Rich Tooie… 4 of those.

TNHunter

3 Likes

On the 13 April I planted all my grafts out into my little tree nursery because some had woken up in the cellar where I kept them and I didn’t want them to push leaves too early. Outside, it is quite cold right now and it even snowed a little, but it shouldn’t freeze, so I guess they will be ok.

I see the thorns. I guess I got it for the unique color, and I had one space available.

If you bought it for the unique color and do not mind the thorns you should be happy with it. According to the videos it produces quite a lot. Just not the size of other ones but it makes up for it with the quantity.

1 Like

My gurneys order of 25 early glow… actually had 26 nice strawberry crowns in it. I put 22 in that bed and 4 in another.

Going to finish those off with a little more compost and some mini pine bark nuggets… we are heading to Lowes this evening to get mulch and other stuff needed.

Grafted two more persimmons today and planted strawberries… having a georgious Saturday here… warm and sunny.

2 Likes

Today I got some sea buckthorn (both 2 male and 4 female titan) and a candy heart pluerry from Raintree. I hear titan seaberry can be eaten fresh and tastes kind of like a tangerine according to Raintree and websites I have read. Here is to hoping it is true. I also got the 2 kinds of spreading ground cover huckleberry, 2 Illinois Everbearing mulberry self rooted, a theta hazelnut, contorted dragon hazelnut and yam hill hazelnut, a standard Montrose apricot from Burnt Ridge. All looked good but UPS had burst open the UPS seaberry box. All seem to be in thought.

3 Likes

I got my final order from Raintree today. The splash winterberry was very root bound and the soil was bone dry with something looking like it was on the leaves. Maybe it can be fixed though. If not I don’t remember it being that much money. I had 2 more 4 in 1 mirabelle plums come that actually came as a 5 in 1 this time. Raintree was apparently holding out on the 4 in 1 plums until the last order as the final two trees had every kind of mirabelle they sell I think. I got a 4 in 1 cherry hoping it would have a montmorency on it but it has lapis, rainier, black gold and Hudson on it. All sweet cherries. Lucky for me I bought bush cherries from honey berry USA so I should have ample tart cherries anyway. All their other multi grafted being the pluot and mirabelle were what they claimed. I got some Logan berry too and those looked good. I also got a Weeping Santa Rosa. The Weeping Santa Rosa did not seem to have many or any buds on it. From my understanding I just need one bud to make it weep though. I would the the 2 cream of the crop that came today was the 2 Mirabelle that ended up being a 5 in 1 and the loganberry.

1 Like

Don’t bury your 4x4 cedar posts in concrete-- fence posts always last longer in dirt.

1 Like

quinault strawberries are in the ground, I hope they do well here. haven’t tried these yet. got 25 to test em out

Yesterday I yielded to temptation and got a baby shipova that was on sale.

2 Likes

My new jplums added this spring.

AU rosa on left including a graft of AU producer.

Shiro on right… it was bare root and had small amount of roots… but looks like itis doing great now.

3 Likes

I got every one of the romance series of cherries from Honeyberry USA yesterday. Today I am getting the Stanley plum and Hickory from Mehrabyan Nursery

3 Likes

@RobinLucky … i considered getting one myself… but then read that they can take 7 years or more to produce fruit.

I have been waiting on eu plums and cherries 5 years now… have seen a few blossoms but no fruit yet. I dont enjoy that wait… i have patience for a 2 or 3 year wait… but 7… i would prefer not to do that.

1 Like

I looked it up and looks like it is a euro pear. I have heard some European pears take forever to bear fruit but hear they last forever too. I guess it is a question of do you go for something quick and get a quick payoff or do you go for something with a long reward but long time to payoff. My mother has told me about the marshmallow experiment where they told a kid that they could either have 1 marshmallow now but they could have 2 if you waited. They figured out the kids who waited were more successful

1 Like

The only new item for this year is Kirke’s Blue plum/St Julian A (European) from Raintree. It will probably be the last fruit tree I buy from them. Price is doubled with new owners and shipping even more. In their favor I must admit this was no whip! 4 1/2 feet tall with branches pulled together & whacked to fit in the box. I trimmed the branches to balance the bare roots somewhat, planted it with some fungal inoculant & home made compost, mulched & await results.
Some bud swelling after yesterday’s 72°F & more warm days directly ahead. I put it next to Ersinger plum, so the trip between trees will be easy for any and all bees that pay them a visit. Considering the size of Kirke’s already, it just might bloom next year & show how much bloom overlap these two plums can manage.

I had no idea Raintree was under new ownership. That explains why I couldn’t ever get to them by calling anymore, their annoying bot system at the start of calls etc.