2023 Persimmon Grafting

Coroa de Rei ripens in September and is big size… They are already big!

8 Likes

I found the attachment for my meat grinder to process like this. Looks pretty fast and easy. The video is from Oikos and gives some ideas for usage.

That mill is called a “squeezeo” I believe. Theres a cheaper generic version available too.

Personally, I like to freeze ‘simmons whole. Theyre ljke popsicle bonbons!

3 Likes

Think it’s a Roma. Amazon is loaded with knock offs. I already had the meat grinder, so the attachment was the cheap way to go for me. Saw some people on the forum using the mill for apples as well.

1 Like

A118. That one seems to produce fairly young.

@snowflake

A118 aka elmo looks pretty good!

2 Likes

I heard from someone on the forum that the variety ‘large morris burton’ that I posted about was a Don Compton selection. Perhaps the other numbered Morris Burtons are also.

1 Like

@Luisport … thank you for the ripening details.

Those are huge and I sure hope to get to try one some day.

2 Likes

Hi Trev, For me here in southern PA 100-46 ripens in late October. Many times it barely gets ripe before we have our first frost. I would guess it could ripen a couple weeks earlier where you are at there.

1 Like

@mvfd801 … Thank you sir for the ripening details. Could be early or mid October for me… we normally get first hard frost mid Nov.

I can tell by his description that Cliff likes the taste of 100-46. He says very good flavor… then all about the taste.

2 Likes

I spent most of my life in TN. Most of my family still lives there (south of Jackson) so I’m familiar with the frost dates at least in McNairy County. Our frost date is about the same here in the fall but our Spring is quite a bit later here which along with the summer being a bit cooler tends to make you a couple weeks ahead of us.

100-46 is the most precocious persimmon I have. It bore fruit the next year after I grafted it. It produces so much that it will break the branches if you don’t take measures to support it. The flavor is quite good. The one defect that I have noted is that it tends to crack on the stem end which causes some of the fruit to discolor and spoil sometimes.

5 Likes

Well, it looks like all of my t-buds failed. I had one that stayed green for a long time, and I thought it would make it. Apparently not, though. I wonder if I had tried to force it this year it would have worked, thinking about how persimmon can reject grafts if there is any competing growth from the rootstock…

Anyway, I guess I’ll be on the hunt for Dar Sofiyivki this winter.

1 Like

I have a couple that are still green as of a few days ago. They haven’t pushed yet, but Im trying still.

I have several sizing up nicely. Will give a taste report later this year.

2 Likes

My fields were bushhogged July 7th… today Aug 11th… i have persimmon shoots up and 18" tall, some taller. Most of them will be 3 ft tall and 5/16 inch diameter by fall.

I saved 5 young persimmons from the July bushhoging… to be used as rootstocks for next spring grafting. They will be 5 ft tall 1/2 inch diameter by fall.

I literally have a never ending supply of great persimmon rootstock.

5 Likes

the best rootstock is the stuff you dont have to plant

3 Likes

That’s great. I wish I had more desirable and healthy rootstocks situated on my property for grafting.

2 Likes

My 3 persimmon grafts on Jiro and Hachiya all failed unfortunately. The trees already had branched out few inches and I didn’t cut the active competitive growths back so it looked like the tree just rejected the graft and sealed itself off. I don’t think it was the technique., I think I may have just grafted too late when the tree had plenty of non-grafted options to push growth on.

Next year I will try grafting on a small headed back seedling.

2 Likes

Looking at my success rates on persimmon grafts this year… pretty big difference depending on rootstock size … which determined whether I did whip/tounge or bark grafts.

I did all these with whip toung to rootstocks that were between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch… these were all wild seedlings out in my field getting good sun.

Prok, JT02, CDR, Nakittas Gift, Kassandra, WS8-10, H63A.

Only H63A failed… so 6 out of 7 success.

Now on larger rootstocks… 1.5" to 4" diameter… i did bark grafts of…

Rich Tooie on 4" … success
Zima Khurma on 1.5" … success
Kassandra/JT02 on 1.5"… success
WS8-10 on 2"… failure
JT02 on 4"… failure
CDR on 1.5"… failure.

The Kassandra/JT02 on 1.5" is still green but has suffered serious psyllid attacks in the new tender growth… i have sprayed it with seven and later spinosad. It is still green but has managed very little growth. I have my doubts on it.

Only Rich Tooie and ZK really look good and successful on the larger stock bark grafts.

One downside to my larger rootstocks is that none of them were in full sun locations… they were all in the edge of my field/woods… getting partial sun.

Going forward… will focus on letting some of my wild seedlings… grow for a full season out in my field and then graft them the next spring… they will be in the 5 ft tall range and 1/2 inch diameter. That JT02 graft that has grown over 9 ft so far this season was grafted to one that size. Phenomenal growth.

2 Likes

Definitely nice to have the scion hit the ground running.

My persimmon grafts were bark, whip and tongue, and cleft. They had great contact and pressure (rubber bands), so that’s why I think my trees just rejected them. Oh well, will try again next year.