2023 Persimmon Grafting

Hi Trev,
This spring or summer I plan to graft new varieties onto my IE, what tips do you have in terms of timing, dealing with sap flow, best ambient temp, and am I better off grafting before bud break?
Dennis
Kent, wa

@DennisD … i have only done that one mulberry but it sure turned out well. That was my first graft.

I took this pic of the buds the day I grafted it.

We did have some nice warm weather the weeks that followed.

I was expecting issues with sap flow… after reading about that… but i had absolutely no excessive sap flow issues. I did do my final wrap with a tarp strap… which helped pull all that nice and tight.

Good Luck Dennis.

7 Likes

Timber !!! Notice the tree laying there.

Took down a 30 ft … 4" diameter wild persimmon this evening. If successful… it becomes JT02.

There is another about 8 ft away… hope to get it done soon.

There are 3 more near by a little more into the woods… going to leave them.

8 Likes

Looks like Gerardi Dwarf. Unmistakable

You’ve definitely got a knack, Trev.

I still can’t believe the growth you’re wringing out of first year seedlings. Probably definitely I’m not trying very hard, but I’m getting them to graftable size by about yr 3, and they’re still not half the size of your 1st yr seedlings. I do grow them 4” -6” apart in the nursery bed and don’t fertilize at all. Probably very little watering except for during drought. I never thought anything of it, and not sure it really matters to me, but good to know what they’ll do when you push em along

@hobilus … year before last… i grew some mexican sunflower in a container thru the summer … and into the fall and then they faded and i cut them out. That planter i had them in had a nice mix of garden dirt and compost in it and some fine pine bark mulch on top.

Well a little later i was collecting wild persimmons at my sisters house. She has these very nice mature persimmons…just wild DV… but they are large, mature trees and make loads of wonderful fruit.

That is what her fruit looks like… awesome flavor and a very rich caramel like aftertaste…

I have not found another wild that has that same rich after taste.

But anyway that fall…mid october… i ate some of her persimmons and then planted 3 seeds in that container. I just put it over in the edge of my woods and left them there until the next spring (which was lastspring).

They all 3 germinated… i took out the middle one so the remaining two would not be so crowded. Also moved that container to my hotspot… southside of house, south slope… all day sun… gave then a little organic fertilizer and water last year aand they grew like crazy.

Think they really like my southern heat.

I have scions from my sisters tree that i am going to graft next. Her name is Trudy… but her grand kids call her Tooie.

Think I will call her tree …Rich Tooie.
They are sweet and have awesome persimmon flavor… but that rich after taste is what sets them apart from other wilds.

They are the only fruit that rivals my chicago hardy figs.

5 Likes

With the help of Bestseed I finally got around to getting a hot callous pipe built.
This is half of a two board pipe 6’ @ to help with space constraints.

These were grafted on 3-11

20 days later, callous looking good, potted up and put in unheated greenhouse

4-11 showing promise.

12 Likes

@JCW – So you go from graft to leaves in less than a month? I’m impressed.

I have a bare-root tree, potted 30 days, that is almost that far along with no graft involved. My grafts from a month ago have nice swelling buds but no leaves. As a rough estimate, it seems the callous pipe speeds the process by 1-2 weeks. Thoughts?

Questions:

1. Is there any hint of astringency in the ripe fruit (as pictured)?

2. Do seeded fruit taste better (e.g., less astringency or more caramel) than unseeded?

3. Would you consider distributing sticks? :slight_smile:

@jrd51 … no astringency at all once ripe. I normally just pick the ones that are at least partially soft and ripe color… and let them sit on the counter a few days … under a glass bowl. They soften up more and loose all astringency.

I did collect some scion wood back in Jan… and sent some to to another board member that asked for some in a trade.

I have a few more scions that I am going to use myself.

I might be able to collect more next winter if you want some.

All have been seeded… she has seveal nice sized persimmons at her place… and obviously some males.

Rich Tooie… my sisters nice wild americans… she has more behind her garage.

More fruit pics below.

Yep… I am grafting some of those here at my place.

3 Likes

Well i will not be able to graft this evening after work… so…

Just a few feet down from the JT02 graft yesterday… today on my lunch hour… got a Rich Tooie graft done. This was another nice size tree… around 4 inch diameter.

Hopefully if these take they grow fast. It will will be interesting to find out if the rich flavor comes with the scion.

4 Likes

I had even less sap flow than you did. Nothing like figs, grapes, and hardy kiwi. I went back to look at my Silk Hope onto morus alba rootstock and see no evidence of dripping from the cut limbs.

That looks like a lattice-topped apple pie :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@murky … Every time i break out that tree kote… i end up having to use my wifes finger nail polish remover to get that tar like stuff off me.

1 Like

Most of my grafts to smaller rootstock out in my field are showing progress… bud swell already.

4 Likes

And this fine Saturday morning April 15…

Added a couple more via bark grafts to wild DV saplings.

This pretty little wild thing is growing near those two… and it produced some nice fruit last year before I located it and cleared the brush around it. Going to leave it.

I have some Proc scions left…and one more wild DV in my field that i plan to graft them too. It has just a few leaves on it now… may graft it early next week.

Persimmon paradise almost complete.

5 Likes

Amazing. Does Kaki persimmon survive your winter? Are you grafting any PCNAs? Or PCAs like Hachiya or Saijo?

@californicus … i purchased a IKKJ persimmon from starks and planted it earlier this spring. It is just starting to bud out now…Starks and other nursery say it is good for zone 6-9… and i am in southern midle TN zone 7a. Hopefully that works.

That may be my only asian persimmon… but honestly i am not sure of that.

I think most of what i have are americans and hybrids.

Rich Tooie, H63A, Prok… i think all Americans

Kasandra Nakittas Gift JT02 WS8-10 Zima Khurma… i think are hybrids.

Coroa De Rei … i am not sure of… it came from Portugal. I am not sure it will survive here… but hope it does. I grafted it in two locations.

No idea on the PCNA PCA stuff.

TNHunter

2 Likes

WS8-10 is American, aka Barbra’s Blush.

IKKJ is a PCNA Kaki. I have three of them. FWIW, they sustained a lot of damage here (borderline Z6B/7A) its first two winters. After that they were bulletproof. Yours should be OK but you might want to protect it for the first year or two.

1 Like

@jrd51 … thanks for the tips on IKKJ.

I have seen pics of WS8-10… on cliffs site and here… wow… like no American I have ever seen.
Probably why I was thinking it was in the hybrid group.

Thanks

1 Like

Grafted this WS8-10 Thursday evening… almost 4 days later… bud thru parafilm with a little green showing. Big rootstocks can make things happen.

3 Likes