$50 Strawberries

Wow. Still wouldn’t pay 50 dollars for berries

3 Likes

“Conventional farms here in the U.S. could Brix anywhere between four to seven or eight. If you’re really lucky, nine,” Koga says. “Depending on the season, our strawberries consistently Brix between 10 to 15. It’s a completely different quality.” (https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/16/how-oishiis-vertical-farms-grow-strawberries-that-sell-for-20-a-box.html)

The article’s statement prompted me to test the brix on my strawberries. My Seascape (brix 11), Shuksan (brix 12), and Benton, (brix 14) means there’s nothing like homegrown!

9 Likes

There was a thread about $5 a strawberry last year here.

Strawberries that cost $5. Each.

1 Like

Exactly, there’s aren’t that sweet. If they were 20-25 I’d be impressed. Over hyped and over priced.

4 Likes

would it not be better to buy a $48 T-bone steak, and make $2 worth of sauerkraut?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be opposed to growing my own but I won’t be purchasing these berries. Thanks for sharing, I’m glad these are becoming more available.

1 Like

You have an impressive memory Tippy! :blush:

The Japanese make gifts of fruit as a statement of wealth. Part of the reason that high quality fruit is so expensive is to be expensive. This is probably influenced by that.

I wonder how they manage disease & insect issues. From what I understand indoor growing tends to have infrequent epidemics of those.

3 Likes

It was so incredibly expensive it’s stuck with me.

People will spend insane prices on fruit or nuts for occasions so this does not surprise me. In the USA we will already spend money on candied nut gift baskets which are just nuts cooked with both sugar and cinnamon.They also sell Comice pears at Harly and Davidson and even have a patented special name for what is their Comice pear. Both of those are often given during Christmas in the USA. Like someone else stated they have a market not just for Christmas but for any special occasion where you need a gift in Japan. Weird Explorer has videos of these fruit from when he went to Japan. They would sell a manga for over 100 dollars in Japan. In fact Weird explorer has a video labeled world’s most expensive mango I believe. They do the same thing with strawberries. A large thing you are paying for with these things is the packaging. My uncle used to send us these kinds of things as a Christmas present because instead of sending 4 presents which would be a lot of costly he could send a basket like this for the entire family. One Christmas I asked him why he did that because we could get this stuff for cheap at the grocery store like Costco for much less and he got mad. He either has not sent us a present since or did not send us a present for a few years. I forget which.

1 Like

My AC Valley Sunset strawberries were fabulous. The gophers just loved them.

1 Like

There are still farms outside Seattle growing the old fashioned soft but sweet strawberries.
If you pick a flat you have to do something with them within 24 hours. No need to pay $50 for
a few berries.

1 Like

They aren’t even square, or Buddha shaped.

1 Like