A small orchard

New to the Growing Fruit site. I have a small orchard here in Portland, OR. I have one of each- Italian plum, Comice pear, green gauge plum,Honey crisp apple, Marionberry, unknown fig, and four different blueberries, Liberty, Drapper and Pink lemonade with a pollenizer for it, Florida gold.

The figs are great in the late fall, and the birds do go after them. Very hardy tree. The Marionberries are huge, sweet and prolific. no pests at all, very hardy plant. The drapper blueberries fruit in July, the Libertys in Augst. NIce crops, but have to net them to protect the crop. The Honey crisp apples are large and will break the limbs if theres too many apples. I hope in the years to come to get stronger branches for a larger crop.

Very excited to have for the first time the green gauge and comice pears. Planted last fall they are just budding now.

If you have any qustions or comments about any of these different plants, I would like to learn more.

Peter in Portland

16 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome.

How old are your fruit trees?

Many kinds of fruit trees need cross pollination such as apples, many plums and pears.

3 Likes

HI mamuag, my fig tree is close to thirty years old and produces deep into the fall.
Your right about the pollinators, I have a neighbor close by with a crab apple that does the job nicely on the six year old Honey Crisp.
My new green gauge is 4 years old should cross pollinate with my fifteen year old Italian. I will find out later this spring if that’s true.
The comice, three years old and new to us this spring, has a bartlett two doors down, and I hope that will work out too. I figured if Harry and David had a huge success with this pear I should too !!
The pink lemonade blueberry never produced anything because there was no similar plant close by and I just didn’t know. I then found out that the perfect pollinator is Florida Rose (not Gold) so I planted one next to it just this spring. Wish me luck on that.
I have learned that timing is so important to get the yeilds you want. Please let me know if you think these pollinators will indeed work, because we love fruit to eat and give away.

3 Likes

Pear trees can benefit from other pear trees growing up to 100 feet away, so a neighbor’s tree could theoretically provide cross-pollination. However, closer is better because pear trees do not attract bees as well as other fruit trees.
…

Found that online…

To ensure pollination for your pears… you could trade some scion wood with your neighbor… learn to graft … graft some of his bartlet on your comice… graft some of your comice on his bartlet. Benefit you both.

1 Like

@PSNW
For pears, pay attention to posts by @clarkinks ,
for plums, @Stan ,
and apples @scottfsmith ,
The PNW: @DennisD , @murky , @ramv

… and of course many others have insights you’ll find helpful.

1 Like

Comice is one of the best tasting pears which is why it is so popular. You will have to tune your pruning to avoid fire blight though. Comice also needs a pollinator. Honeycrisp is notoriously fussy of a tree. I can’t speak of the rest except pink lemonade. Blueberries can be fussy on PH. I found them not to be as hard as say pink popcorn though.

Hi Peter, nice selection of trees, I also have a Comice Pear, a Greengage and 4 Northern Highbush Blueberries. :smiley:
If the Pear down the street is a Williams Bartlett (flower group 3) it will pollinate your Comice, (group 4). The Comice is supossed to be a light cropper but is considered the best flavoured pear. Just saw others have already replied and said the same.

1 Like

@PSNW

Peter,

Harry & David as your aware own 2,000 acres of Doyenné du Comice pear close to their headquarters in Medford, Oregon .Comice is called Royal Riviera® Pear. " The Comice pear originated in France, where it was first grown at the Comice Horticole in Angers in the 1840s.[1] A commemorative plaque in the Loire states: “In this garden was raised in 1849-50 the celebrated pear Doyenne du Comice by the gardener Dhomme and by Millet de la Turtaudiere, President of the Comice Horticole.”[2] It was brought to the United States in 1850 as a seedling.[3] By the 1870s, they had been introduced to Oregon by a French horticulturalist. Brothers Harry and David Rosenberg (the namesakes of the corporation Harry & David) began marketing their Comice pears under the name “Royal Riviera”. It remains one of their leading products."

https://www.harryanddavid.com/blog/what-kind-of-pear-is-a-royal-riviera-pear/

Bartlett will work fine as a pollinator List of pollination partners for Doyenne du Comice pear

" Varieties that will pollinate Doyenne du Comice in the orangepippintrees catalog

Find pollinators >

An early-season American pear variety, related to Bartlett but with an improved flavor and better storage.

• Flowering group: 3

• Not self-fertile

• Picking: Early

• Bartlett

Find pollinators >

A classic English pear, easy to grow, and a good flavor.

• Partially self-fertile

• Beurre Bosc

Find pollinators >

A traditional French pear with buttery melting flesh.

Find pollinators >

A modern fireblight resistant pear, which ripens mid-season, about a week later than Bartlett.

• Not self-fertile

• Picking:

• Brandy

Find pollinators >

A mid-season English perry pear which produces a low-tannin juice.

• Not self-fertile

• Picking: Late

• Butt

Find pollinators >

Butt is a traditional English perry pear, with medium acidity and medium tannins.

Find pollinators >

A traditional European pear from Belgium, with the classic rich sweet buttery melting flesh. Flemish Beauty is also self-fertile and cold-hardy.

• Self-fertile

• Picking: Mid

• Gin

Find pollinators >

A rare English perry pear variety with good disease resistance and medium acid and tannins.

• Not self-fertile

• Picking: Very late

• Harrow Crisp

Find pollinators >

An attractive disease-resistant early-season pear with an orange flushed yellow skin, related to Bartlett and with a similar flavor.

Find pollinators >

Harrow Delight is an early-season Bartlett-style pear with a sweet flavor and good disease-resistance.

• Not self-fertile

• Harrow Sweet

Find pollinators >

A disease-resistant heavy-cropping late-season pear with an excellent sweet flavor for eating fresh.

Find pollinators >

A well-known English perry pear variety, and a reliable cropper. Makes a light, low-tannin perry.

• Not self-fertile

• Honeysweet

Find pollinators >

Honeysweet is a self-fertile small late-season sweet pear, with buttery flesh, related to Seckel.

• Self-fertile

• Hosui

Find pollinators >

Hosui has perhaps the best flavor of any Asian pear - it is very juicy and very sweet.

• Not self-fertile

• Korean Giant

Find pollinators >

Korean Giant has potentially the largest fruits of any Asian pear variety.

• Not self-fertile

• Maxine

Find pollinators >

Maxine is a traditional American pear, with good fire blight resistance.

• Flowering group: 4

• Not self-fertile

• Moonglow

Find pollinators >

A high quality early season dessert and culinary pear, very resistant to fireblight.

• Good pollinator

• Not self-fertile

• Niitaka

Find pollinators >

Niitaka is an Asian pear variety producing very large crisp russeted fruits.

• Not self-fertile

• Potomac

Find pollinators >

Find pollinators >

A red form of Clapp’s Favorite, also known as Kalle. The pears have a sweet flavor, and ripen in late summer.

• Flowering group: 4

• Not self-fertile

• Shenandoah

Find pollinators >

Shenandoah is a late-season Bartlett-style pear, with a rich sweet/sharp flavor.

• Not self-fertile

• Shinseiki

Find pollinators >

This popular early-season Asian pear variety produces crisp sweet-flavored pears, which can be kept for up to 3 months.

• Partially self-fertile

• Shinsui

Find pollinators >

A popular and productive early-season Asian pear with a glowing golden brown skin and a sweet flavor.

Find pollinators >

A traditional English perry pear variety, which produces a low tannin perry.

Find pollinators >

A popular English perry pear which produces a good quality low-tannin / medium-acid perry.

• Not self-fertile

• Picking:

• Yoinashi

Find pollinators >

Yoinashi is a mid-season Asian pear, with large golden brown russeted fruits.

• Not self-fertile
    "
    The corvallis pear repository is in Oregon as well. The website Pear gene bank open house | Good Fruit Grower will state the location. They grow over “1,000-plus pear cultivars preserved at the National Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis, Oregon.” “The repository is located at 33447 Peoria Road, Corvallis, Oregon. From Corvallis, go one mile east on Highway 34, turn south on Peoria Road, and go one mile” though not everything is always open to the public. They do offer public services as needed NCGR Corvallis - Pyrus Germplasm : USDA ARS
1 Like

I used to have Green Gage but I removed it because it was very unproductive. I have found that my Bavay is also stingy in its production.

I have two Euro plum trees that are multi-grafted. At one point, I have had 10 + varieties on them. I have gage plums are more picky regarding to pollination partners.

There are a few “Italian” and green gage plums out there. I hope yours will be compatible.

1 Like

… in your climate.

That’s why I said “I” and “my” assuming people would know it is my experience and if they look at my profile, they know where I grow fruit.

1 Like

@mamuang

Green gage was very unproductive here as well in zone 6a Kansas. Standard american plums do very well here but insect pressure is very high. There are few climates that grow european and japanese plums well. Many years like apricots the japanese plums here are damaged by frost.

1 Like

Welcome

Thanks for your feedback, however could you please clarify what is "tune the pruning "? Would pruning be different for different types of trees?

Thanks for all the info, great stuff. I will definitely be checking the pear repository.

Up the street from me, someone awhile back planted some Bosc pears between the sidewalk and the street. The people that live there don’t care about the tree or it’s pears. It is never pruned, sprayed, or picked. The trees are mature and healthy, one can get five gallon buckets of drop dead gorgeous pears in the fall. The over ripe pears have so much sugar that the the wasps are constant on the ones on the ground.
This wonderful tree is a gift for sure. I am hoping the same for my Comice, but the Boscs are welcome.

2 Likes

That is a great idea and I am going to try the grafting. Makes total sense to me.

I am hoping the green gauge will benefit from being close to my other plum, and to other fruit trees.

Must have been disappointing to have put in the time and effort on trees you have to one day get rid of. I had to get rid of two cherry trees because the birds would never leave any thing. That freed up space for the Comice and green gauge.

@PSNW … i just got into grafting last year… did 1 mulberry and 4 apples… all extremely succesful.

This year… have done 20+ pear grafts… and others… plum, persimmon, apples, cherries…
and so far all are looking really good.

Starting off with pears… would be good… i have heard others here say that pears are one of the easiest to have success with.

Lots of people here willing to trade scions over the winter/early spring months.

Good luck to you.

Thank you to you all for welcoming me to this site as well as the hands on info.

I beleive that our total gardening efforts, including lots of veggies, roses, and other cut florals are dependent upon so many things. I have planted a lot of plants to attract bees, including wild bees. We have a family of crows we feed that keep at bay the starlings but leave the apples, pears, figs, and plums alone. Smart and entertaing, there welcome here. Our hummers, full time residents as well as visitors, work the flowers non stop. I am lucky to have what I have.